Why do poor people seem happier .

Perhaps poor people are happy to take things as they come, day by day; where as a wealthier person needs the 4 weeks on costa-del what ever to be happy?

Perhaps stereotypes are wrong more often than they're right. :roll:

I know we don't like experts, facts or statistics, but

One survey of 1,000 Americans, conducted in 2010, concluded that money does make us happier – but only up to a certain point. The findings, by psychologist Daniel Kahneman and economist Angus Deaton, both from Princeton University, showed that self-reported levels of wellbeing increased with salary up to $75,000 (roughly £50,000) a year. But after that, increasing amounts of money had no further effect on happiness.

However, a more recent study, published by researchers at the University of Michigan in 2013, challenged the idea that the positive effect of money plateaus. After comparing life satisfaction and happiness levels in both rich and poor countries, and rich and poor people within a country – with “rich” being defined as an income greater than $15,000 (roughly £10,000) per person – Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers concluded: “The relationship between wellbeing and income … does not diminish as income rises. If there is a satiation point, we are yet to reach it.”

Anecdotal evidence is just as conflicted. In 2015, analysis of data from the Office for National Statistics’ Wealth and Assets Survey showed that for Britons aged 16 and over there is a clear link between household wealth and happiness, life satisfaction and personal sense of worth.

more reading here

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jan/07/can-money-buy-happiness

Edited by Cyclone

" Why do poor people seem happier, " They are not, it's a fallacy. Do the calculation, it's easy to do.

Re the poor, and I mean poor, no bank account and living week to week, living in a council property (like me) with no chance of ever been able to buy a property. Those people who may be using the food banks and struggling from week to week.

Re the people with a very good job, a bank account with lots of brass in it, and money in hand every week. Living in a very nice property up Dore, and the nearest they get to a food bank is when they pass it in their 100k Range Rover.

So the poor seem happier, I think not.

Angel1

" Why do poor people seem happier, " They are not, it's a fallacy. Do the calculation, it's easy to do.

Re the poor, and I mean poor, no bank account and living week to week, living in a council property (like me) with no chance of ever been able to buy a property. Those people who may be using the food banks and struggling from week to week.

Re the people with a very good job, a bank account with lots of brass in it, and money in hand every week. Living in a very nice property up Dore, and the nearest they get to a food bank is when they pass it in their 100k Range Rover.

So the poor seem happier, I think not.

Angel1

The problem arises when the bubble bursts as indicated by all the experts who all say that the Western Worlds debt which is in Trillions cannot be sustained .

When the inevitable finally happens and all the credit is called in then the poor will be laughing all the way to the then de funk banks , I think;)

Happiness = Health, wealth, love and laughter, or so I've been told, and it seems a good starting point to me.

The interesting one is wealth. What is wealth exactly? Monetarily, is it being as rich as Bill Gates? Or is it having enough to comfortably manage your everyday life, being content with that, and being free from worry? Wealth can also encompass family and friends who add to wellbeing, and having time to pursue personal interests. I'd also add, that having opportunities to help others, which I think is probably the most life enhancing thing you can do, is also a kind of wealth.

Edited by Anna B

The problem arises when the bubble bursts as indicated by all the experts who all say that the Western Worlds debt which is in Trillions cannot be sustained .

When the inevitable finally happens and all the credit is called in then the poor will be laughing all the way to the then de funk banks , I think;)

So who will support the foodbanks? Who will work for richy rich in their shops and warehouses? The poor will be knackered just as much as the rich, more so - look at 1930s america.

When I was on the dole I wasnt happy, I was broke, lonely and wondering if I could eke a fiver out for a week.

You are talking out of your hat.

Happiness = Health, wealth, love and laughter, or so I've been told, and it seems a good starting point to me.

The interesting one is wealth. What is wealth exactly? Monetarily, is it being as rich as Bill Gates? Or is it having enough to comfortably manage your everyday life, being content with that, and being free from worry? Wealth can also encompass family and friends who add to wellbeing, and having time to pursue personal interests. I'd also add, that having opportunities to help others, which I think is probably the most life enhancing thing you can do, is also a kind of wealth.

Post of the week Anna ,spot on :)

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 21:38 ----------

So who will support the foodbanks? Who will work for richy rich in their shops and warehouses? The poor will be knackered just as much as the rich, more so - look at 1930s america.

When I was on the dole I wasnt happy, I was broke, lonely and wondering if I could eke a fiver out for a week.

You are talking out of your hat.

The point is some people can eke out a fiver for a week and not mind sharing it with others .

If the hat fits wear it ;)

The OP sounds like a load of made up codswallop to me

Mae West said it best" I've been rich and I've been poor, believe me, rich is better" :thumbsup: I would like to add, I am not rich , by any stretch. lol

Post of the week Anna ,spot on :)

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 21:38 ----------

The point is some people can eke out a fiver for a week and not mind sharing it with others .

Good for them, I couldnt.

And what hat?

How do you figure that being poor will somehow help in an economic crisis?

---------- Post added 31-07-2017 at 22:00 ----------

That wasn't the point you made at all, you claimed that the poor were happier. It's demonstrably not true.

The interesting one is wealth. What is wealth exactly?

It is not the same as money. That simple confusion is the root cause of most of the world's troubles.

Almost all of those people hailed as "wealth creators" only make money, and in doing so devalue all the real wealth.

Guest makapaka

Its all just a state of mind - personality driven.

there are happy rich people - happy poor people.

Money makes life easier - doesn't always make it better.