Pub Crawling in the '70's - in Sheffield city centre

When I first started my boozing "career" as a teenager in the mid 70's, the done thing was to go into town every Thursday/Friday/Saturday night.

It makes me chuckle to think of it now, but those days, we didn't have one or two favourite pubs that we'd spend the evening in - we had to spend the whole night roaming from pub to pub, having one (or at the very most two)drinks in each, then moving on to the next pub, before getting the last bus home. It also makes me laugh when I remember that our "pub crawl" route seldom - if ever - varied. We always, always went in the same pubs, in the same order....and I suspect many other small groups of young people were doing exactly the same...because we'd always pass the same small groups of lads and lasses several times - but going in different directions!

My mates and I would get the Oughtibridge bus into town, get off where it terminated in Campo Lane - and then we'd take the following "crawl" route - Blue Ball/Dove & Rainbow/Stonehouse/3 Tuns/Pig & Whistle/Cambridge/Yorkshireman/Brown Bear - then a last one in The Mulberry - before staggering drunkenly out and falling on to the last Wisewood bus home - which used to go from just outside the Mulberry in those days!

Was it just us - or does anyone remember doing similarly daft city-centre "pub crawls" back in the day?

Edited by FIRETHORN1

One of the best pub crawling you could ask for was Darnall 80s 90s fri sat sun when all the pubs was thriving including the 4 working mans clubs best nights Ever no need to go up town ,or just as good was the cliff run top to bottom not

Many people made it all the way:D

For us (anything between 4 to 10 lads) early 1980s , Friday was London rd night . Start in the royal oak , then lansdown ,tramways ,?,? cross over to the cremorne , crown ,barrel ?? finally find ourselves outside The Locarno , then we had to decide , Locarno or the China Gardens for chicken curry and chips ( china garden also had a bar and disco ,which was a winner ) . had great times with great friends but alas we all grew up and got families . love my missus but really miss them days

Firethorn1

We must have crossed paths for certain.

Blue Ball

Dove and Rainbow

Golden Ball

Buccaneer (afore it shut)

Top 3 Tuns

Yorkshireman

Sportsman

The Albert (another that soon closed)

The Wap

Nelson

Occasionally

Mulberry

Brown Bear

And dare I say it

The Claymore

Not always all the pubs in one night (hic)

But usually like you in that sort of order.

However Friday night would see a kick off on Darnall

The Crown and the Wello

Then on the 52 to West street.

Beehive

Raven

Hallamshire

Red Deer (if not already barred for swearing)

Coach and Horses

Saddle

Red lion

Dog and Partridge

Seems I spent a lot of money on Beer

The first regular crawl I remember was early 80's, off the bus at Pond St and first one in the Claymore (changed name soon after to what I can't recall), cross road to the Mulberry then up High St and Legends quickly followed by the Stonehouse in its famous "back room" days. The Pig & Whistle usually followed with the occasional foray into the Whig & Pen a bit of a diversion to Le Metro on Carver St before thinking about a night club, Romeo's/Cairo Jax usually being the favourite.

The first regular crawl I remember was early 80's, off the bus at Pond St and first one in the Claymore (changed name soon after to what I can't recall), cross road to the Mulberry then up High St and Legends quickly followed by the Stonehouse in its famous "back room" days. The Pig & Whistle usually followed with the occasional foray into the Whig & Pen a bit of a diversion to Le Metro on Carver St before thinking about a night club, Romeo's/Cairo Jax usually being the favourite.

bit upmarket that , for us Romeos was like Stringfellows :hihi:

Claymore

Blue bell.

Golden ball

Red Lion

Albert

Barley corn

Wap

Nelson.

Firethorn1

We must have crossed paths for certain.

Blue Ball

Dove and Rainbow

Golden Ball

Buccaneer (afore it shut)

Top 3 Tuns

Yorkshireman

Sportsman

The Albert (another that soon closed)

The Wap

Nelson

Occasionally

Mulberry

Brown Bear

And dare I say it

The Claymore

Not always all the pubs in one night (hic)

But usually like you in that sort of order.

However Friday night would see a kick off on Darnall

The Crown and the Wello

Then on the 52 to West street.

Beehive

Raven

Hallamshire

Red Deer (if not already barred for swearing)

Coach and Horses

Saddle

Red lion

Dog and Partridge

Seems I spent a lot of money on Beer

What was wrong with the Claymore, if you 'dare say' ?

Claymore

Dove and Rainbow

Blue Bell

Stone House

Museum (or Red Lion)

Buccaneer (or Albert)

Three Tuns (or Wapentake)

Nelson

A steady gallon, couldn't do it now. :)

What was wrong with the Claymore, if you 'dare say' ?

The beer was awful, even for town standards.:gag:

In my opinion of course:rolleyes:

Must surely have crossed paths with FIRETHORN11 -same pubs, same era - I caught the bus near Wadsley and the last Wisewood - or walked back...

same pubs same era