Pub Crawling in the '70's - in Sheffield city centre

Heh heh heh! Loved these replies - it's comforting to know that we weren't the only daft young buggers, slavishly following the same "pub crawl" routes, week in, week out.

Having said that, I do remember when we impulsively decided to go "off piste" one weekend - and do a pub crawl route involving many of the town centre pubs that we'd been warned - as daft teenage lasses - that we should never venture into!

On this particular night, we got off the bus in t'Interchange (or Pond Street bus station - as it was then known) - then our "crawl" took in The Penny Black, The Marples, The Norfolk Arms (in Dixon Lane), The Cannon, The Hen & Chickens...then a trudge across town to have a beer in The Museum and The Barleycorn, finally hitting the The Claymore...before crossing the road and getting the last Wisewood bus home!

I remember at the time wondering why we'd been warned off these pubs - we had absolutely no trouble at all in any of 'em ...and they all seemed perfectly friendly places to me.

My most favourite pub on this particular "crawl" was definitely the Norfolk Arms. It was full of old blokes with bulbous purple noses, dressed smartly in shiny suits and bri-nylon shirts - and old women - who looked like pantomime dames - with bright red -lipstick, heavily mascara'd lashes, loads of face-powder accentuating their creased faces - and clouds of heavily "tazzed", back-combed, bleached-blonde hair.

My least favourite pub was The Claymore - far too modern and soulless - even in way back the 70's.....and the beer was pretty appalling too! McEwans "Tartan" Export...if I remember correctly...really bland and tasteless stuff ...typical 70's keg bitter.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Was there ever a pub down the near the markets called The Garden or Gardeners something like that?

Was there ever a pub down the near the markets called The Garden or Gardeners something like that?

Don't know but there was the 'Cowsheds'. Also the Park Gardner's WMC was not near the markets but in the Park district.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Used to go around town, Hillsborough, Gleadless only place we ever had any trouble was a pub opposite Kelvin Flats where we were followed when we left, some idiots said something which we ignored and carried on walking.

The beer was awful, even for town standards.:gag:

In my opinion of course:rolleyes:

Well the beer at the Claymore was Wm. Youngers (Scottish and Newcastle Ales) a lot better the Black Swan's with Sam Smith's odious, awful attempts of beer brewing.

The Berni Inn , The old number 12 became the Garden pub. Quite modern by mid 80,s standards, with TV's showing the latest videos etc. Remember the beer being served in tall thin glasses, not your usual pint pot. Just round the corner from the Alexandra Hotel

The Berni Inn , The old number 12 became the Garden pub. Quite modern by mid 80,s standards, with TV's showing the latest videos etc. Remember the beer being served in tall thin glasses, not your usual pint pot. Just round the corner from the Alexandra Hotel

I thought I hadn't imagined it and your description fits, thanks.

Well the beer at the Claymore was Wm. Youngers (Scottish and Newcastle Ales) a lot better the Black Swan's with Sam Smith's odious, awful attempts of beer brewing.

Sam Smiths is a decent beer when it's on but it doesn't travel well.

So any pint usually found more than 200 yds from the brewery becomes an "acquired taste"

(For acquired taste read s###)

And No I don't know why we used the Brown Bear either:huh:

I thought I hadn't imagined it and your description fits, thanks.

The only Berni inn , I remember, was the one that used to be the Rotherham House, ,between Castlegate and the market. If that is the one apparently it then became the Market. However that was after I left the country, but I have read that on here. Can't remember the topic heading though.

The only Berni inn , I remember, was the one that used to be the Rotherham House, ,between Castlegate and the market. If that is the one apparently it then became the Market. However that was after I left the country, but I have read that on here. Can't remember the topic heading though.

Yes Mr.T. It was the old Rotherham House that was on Exchange Street.

Correct on both counts and both poor brews

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 21:09 ----------

Used to go in the berni inn by the castle market. Used to ask the waitresses if we could have all the digestive biscuits that people would leave from their cheese and biscuits for the walk home. Sometimes they let us sometimes not. Life was simpler then :)

Correct on both counts and both poor brews

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 21:09 ----------

Used to go in the berni inn by the castle market. Used to ask the waitresses if we could have all the digestive biscuits that people would leave from their cheese and biscuits for the walk home. Sometimes they let us sometimes not. Life was simpler then :)

Didn't Scottish & Newcastle make Newcastle Brown Ale ? I found nowt wrong with the Claymore beer, well 1970-80 anyway.