How can I get Fit without joining a gym?

I really really don't want to join a gym. I wouldn't have time to go and couldn't commit to the treadmill several times a week.

I wouldn't mind doing the odd aerobics class. Does anyone know of anywhere around the city centre (pref. the Ecclesall Rd side of town) which offers just aerobics without a huge membership fee?

Alternatively, can anyone suggest an alternative fitness method that doesn't require a huge financial outlay up front eg membership fees or the purchase of pricey equipment?

Get yourself some walking boots and go walking, it's free, easy and a very pleasant way to get fit.

Or just buy a pair of running shoes.

There's enough hills in the city to keep anyone fit :)

Power Walking is the craze

its better than jogging as it doesnt jolt your joints as much.

Anything that gets your heart beating is good for the cardio system and will burn a few calories

I'm not really the person to advise, being built more for comfort rather than speed, but try swimming. It is supposed to be the best all round exercise you can get, with no high impact stuff to worry about. I must say walking sounds more tempting though.

Originally posted by "mikey"

Power Walking is the craze

its better than jogging as it doesnt jolt your joints as much.

Anything that gets your heart beating is good for the cardio system and will burn a few calories

I'd much rather run than walk, especially power walking - that justdoesn't appeal to me, if I walk I prefer to walk to relax.

Ever thought about Martial Arts as a way to fitness?

I teach Traditional Karate in the City Centre near to the Forum.

Monday and Wednesday 7.00-8.30pm, thake a look at our website www.hallamdojo.co.uk for more details.

You can have fun, gain confidence, co-ordination and get fit into the bargain.

andyb

Karate - yike! I did this for about two years, and a nastily sprained ankle and a broken nose later, I decided it wasn't for me.

Walking - not a bad idea, I do a fair bit of this anyway.

Any more ideas?

Cycling

Suppose it all depend what you want to do

Get fitter

Lose weight

Put on weight

Be more supple

Swimming is a good all rounder

Crookes Working Mens club has aerobics on Monday nights, I know a couple of people that go. I couldn't tell you how much it is though but it can't be much.

I have a lot of students that collect many injuries....from football and gardening mainly! :)

andyb

Guest costessey

just go to the hilton hotel - livingwell health club - in sheffield, and sign in under a bogus name and room....i've done it plenty of times.