Sheffield Blitz sites 2017

Houses on Lancing Road, just off Charlotte Road had a hit. They put garages on the site and several years ago when doing some building work they found an un-exploded bomb.

On 29/07/2017 at 18:25, Person6 said:

I was told, but someone would have to confirm this, that the top floor of Portland Works at the corner of Hill Street and Randall Street suffered bomb damage and it was repaired but not rebuilt with a pitched roof. There is certainly a section of flat roof between two pitched sections, but you would have to get that confirmed by someone. Within Portland Works itself the stencilled sign for the air raid shelter in the cellar still exists. It's to the right after you have entered through the archway.

No, it wasn't bomb damage, it was an accidental fire in 1939.  Just across the way was a spirit store and the fire service were concerned that the fire would spread, so they pulled down the middle section of C block so that the burning timbers fell inwards rather than outwards. If you have a spare £250,000 Portland Works would be delighted to rebuild it.

17 hours ago, danensis said:

No, it wasn't bomb damage, it was an accidental fire in 1939.  Just across the way was a spirit store and the fire service were concerned that the fire would spread, so they pulled down the middle section of C block so that the burning timbers fell inwards rather than outwards. If you have a spare £250,000 Portland Works would be delighted to rebuild it.

Thank you.

Sadly my spare £250,000 is committed elsewhere but I spent a few happy hours in the sunshine on the flat roof in the early nineties when I had a studio up there for a few months.

On 30/07/2017 at 08:06, beady said:

I was told some years ago from a reliable source that 2 houses were bombed and totally destroyed in the north of the city on the road to Deepcar and Stocksbridge. They were located about 300 metres on the left just past the Middlewood Tavern (now closed and boarded up) - travelling out towards Deepcar. All that's left is hidden behind a stone wall but you can still see if you look carefully the overgrown walls (up to 1m high) - showing the layout of the buildings. Hope this helps?

Tomorrow it will be eighty years since the start of the Sheffield Blitz (12th and 15th December 1940). It must have been horrendous and perhaps puts our current day privations into perspective. I don’t know if there will be any special commemoration but perhaps Sheffielders could take a few minutes thinking and remembering the sacrifices that were made by our forebears for our freedoms.  

Spare ground on Rock Street was known to the local kids as The bomb

22 hours ago, Jomie said:

Tomorrow it will be eighty years since the start of the Sheffield Blitz (12th and 15th December 1940). It must have been horrendous and perhaps puts our current day privations into perspective. I don’t know if there will be any special commemoration but perhaps Sheffielders could take a few minutes thinking and remembering the sacrifices that were made by our forebears for our freedoms.  

Here's an 80th anniversary piece from the BBC. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55275155

The additional links at the bottom of the piece are also worth a look. 

Edited by Baron99

Bomb damage at Neepsend can be seen here the light patch in the empty space above the gas tanks would be the bomb crater, the space would have been where the houses stood,1947

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW005028

Here is what it looked like in 1926,

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW015598

Exeter St, Lawson St, Hanover St all had  direct hits,in the cellar of 3 Exeter St, at the time,about a dozen killed I think,now aged 82.

Last year I took my mother to see the site of the house she was bombed out of in 1940 - number 23 Jericho Street.  The site is still undeveloped and is behind hoardings on what is now called Well Meadow Drive.  The cobbled street is stilll there.  It's difficult to believe that such a site so close to the centre of a major city can be undeveloped for eighty years - I presume the only likely building will be student accommodation at some point.  Mum was 9 when it burnt down.  My grandad was upset mainly about the fact that he'd just filled the cellar up with coal and so paid to help the Luftwaffe burn his house down.  He returned when it had all cooled down and used a stick to knock two brass candlesticks off the mantlepiece, they are still in the family, and that was about all the property that was saved apart from a christmas present watch that was being held at the pawnbrokers.