Sheffield Blitz sites 2017

The wall at the bottom of SHU on Ecclesall Road between Broomgrove Road and Collegiate Crescent has numerous holes in it. Someone told me it was the result of German machine gun fire. The row of houses opposite look a bit newer than other buildings on that stretch and I wonder whether the holes were the result of a bomb destroying or damaging the buildings opposite and shrapnel flying across the road.

Does anyone know? I can only find references to Ecclesall Road being hit but not the exact location apart to a reference to the junction with Greystones Road.

My mother told me about the bullet holes on the Hallam uni wall. Apparently at the time of the blitz they had a lodger and he was killed there by machine gun fire on his way home to Banner Cross having walked all the way from Attercliffe

St. Mary's Church on Bramall Lane has existing shrapnel damage that can be seen.

One of the reasons that the Albert pub opposite the City Hall was demolished was the the walls were bulging out after being affected by the bomb / fire at the cinema that stood on the John Lewis site,

Not completely relevant but, I was always led to believe that The National Theatre in Hull [The most bombed city in the UK outside London] was the only surviving part standing civilian bombed building in the UK. They have been trying to get it listed for years.

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Hull/NationalPictureTheatreHull.htm

Edited by mickyboy

I lived at 12 Collegiate Crescent 1937 till July 1942. When we came up from the cellar one morning the houses at the back of our fairly large garden beyond a stone wall had been flattened like a pack of cards. On Google Earth the site looks to be allotments now, presumably never rebuilt. Through the roof of our washhouse once came the nose of a shell, perhaps from anti-aircraft fire. In 1940 I was only three. So I am surprised if the bomb fell then, as I have a graphic memory of how it looked. Perhaps someone can date that high-explosive  bomb. Dad and Mum had already lost two children in China and I think perhaps that bomb made them decide to move out of the city.

On 29/07/2017 at 07:30, alexander874 said:

Patches on the City Hall is repaired shrapnel damage .

If you walk across the road to the corner of Barkers Pool there's still visible shrapnel damage on the low wall surrounding the small garden.

On 29/07/2017 at 02:30, alexander874 said:

Patches on the City Hall is repaired shrapnel damage .

When I was last there a few years ago the patches were quite visible!

Another obvious sign of war were the iron railings on front garden walls all over town that were burned off by acetaline torches, for scrap metal to fuel the war effort!

There were no complainers, vandals, or real criminals in those days, we were all united for survival!

Edited by trastrick

Guest makapaka

I’m sure when I was a kid I walked along the canal with my dad and there was a load of piled up concrete spray painted with the date of the blitz.

anyone else recall this?

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I’m sure when I was a kid I walked along the canal with my dad and there was a load of piled up concrete spray painted with the date of the blitz.

anyone else recall this?

Its at Tinsley flight, the  locks at the marina  behind Ikea. The pile of large stones apparently were from a lock destroyed by a bomb, That lock was never replaced, the date was carved and painted on the lock wall,

Edited by Odd-jobs

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

anyone else recall this?

Where abouts on the canal stretch was this ? Perhaps it's sttill there. SORRY ! didn't see your location reply.

Edited by St Petre

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Odd-jobs said:

Its at Tinsley flight, the  locks at the marina  behind Ikea. The pile of large stones apparently were from a lock destroyed by a bomb, That lock was never replaced, the date was carved and painted on the lock wall,

Thanks odd jobs I was wondering if I’d dreamt it!!! 

I  Was brought up in brightside / wincobank so it makes sense we would have been down there.

Might go have a look this weekend.

Edited by makapaka

Go on Google, type in 'map of where bombs fell in Sheffield WW2' then click 'images' . I spend ages on Google Street View tracing the sites.

Hawksley Avenue Hillsborough took a string of bombs down one side near the top end I was told as a kid!,several houses were flattened as you go up from the bottom near Hillsborough corner on the left !.You can see that the houses there are all replaced and are different to the original ones,I,m sure Hillsbro will have information on this as it was near to his home when he was younger!.