Sheffield Blitz sites 2017

Yes, I am aware there are threads re the Blitz !

Are there still Sheffield locations existing that were bombed and not built on still visible !

There's not much to see but my mothers house (granny's really I suppose) has never been built on.

City road just down from the junction with Granville Road. Next door to No 226.

Edited by Dun graftin
missing info

Yes, I am aware there are threads re the Blitz !

Are there still Sheffield locations existing that were bombed and not built on still visible !

Perhaps not really answering your question but under the Wicker arches -the main one-has a 'patch' at the top where a Luftwafffe bomb went through via the train lines and didn't explode and on the Spital Hill side there is still the result of aircraft bullets scarring still visible.

Edited by stpetre
adds

Perhaps not really answering your question but under the Wicker arches -the main one-has a 'patch' at the top where a Luftwafffe bomb went through via the train lines and didn't explode and on the Spital Hill side there is still the result of aircraft bullets scarring still visible.

I was told by a cousin an ex BR Fireman, that not long before the bomb struck the arches, a petrol train had passed over.

I was told by a cousin an ex BR Fireman, that not long before the bomb struck the arches, a petrol train had passed over.

Yes Runningman . According to my late Dad, a Pitsmoor bloke who was 32 at the time, that's what he told me too.

Also perhaps a little off the subject but here goes : One sunny Sunday morning -early 40's-, my dad was on his way for ' Lunchtime pint', at the corner of Petre Street and Sutherland Road he stopped to chat with a friend. After a few minutes they heard a strange droning noise and looking up- to perhaps less than 100 feet- came a Luftwaffe plane which was in some difficulty and the pilot had lost his bearings. As the Luftwaffe usually attacked during the hours of darkness, I asked my dad if he had recalled that incident properly, his reply : 'That bugger was just over the roof tops and I could see the Iron Cross on the side of the plane and the Swastika on the tail fin". The plane limped on to the eastern end of Sheffield and then on towards Lincolnshire and the North Sea.

Edited by stpetre
add

The area between Vale Rd-Wallace Rd-Pickering Rd - 1 death William Sands.

The wall at the bottom of SHU on Ecclesall Road between Broomgrove Road and Collegiate Crescent has numerous holes in it. Someone told me it was the result of German machine gun fire. The row of houses opposite look a bit newer than other buildings on that stretch and I wonder whether the holes were the result of a bomb destroying or damaging the buildings opposite and shrapnel flying across the road.

Does anyone know? I can only find references to Ecclesall Road being hit but not the exact location apart to a reference to the junction with Greystones Road.

The City Hall springs to mind as far as visible damage goes, there are many visible repairs to the stone.

The building on the corner of Vicar Lane and Church Street in the city centre was patched up but not rebuilt after suffering bomb damage and it is obvious if you look on at the Vicar Lane facade on Google Streetview with an isolated bay window at first floor level.

I was told, but someone would have to confirm this, that the top floor of Portland Works at the corner of Hill Street and Randall Street suffered bomb damage and it was repaired but not rebuilt with a pitched roof. There is certainly a section of flat roof between two pitched sections, but you would have to get that confirmed by someone. Within Portland Works itself the stencilled sign for the air raid shelter in the cellar still exists. It's to the right after you have entered through the archway.

32 and 34 Crookes Road in Broomhill were bombed in the blitz and lockup garages are all that replace them.

I was told some years ago from a reliable source that 2 houses were bombed and totally destroyed in the north of the city on the road to Deepcar and Stocksbridge. They were located about 300 metres on the left just past the Middlewood Tavern (now closed and boarded up) - travelling out towards Deepcar. All that's left is hidden behind a stone wall but you can still see if you look carefully the overgrown walls (up to 1m high) - showing the layout of the buildings. Hope this helps?

In the 1950s, on the block of terraced houses bounded by John Street, Baron Street, Clough Road, & Countess Road, there were a couple of gaps where houses may once have stood. The gaps were occupied by lock-up garages at that time. The gap on the Clough Road/ Baron Street corner is still noticeable.

The pre-1900 map shows a full row of houses on Clough Road so it seems likely that the end house or houses were bomb-damaged.

Edited by fatrajah