Crying and barking at night

I have a 5 year old lab who the last three weeks has took to whining and barking at night . He's not ill or desperate for the toilet. On the occasions I have took him out in the middle of the night he just wants to sniff around has a couple of wees but then I have to drag him back to the house because he just wants follow scent. Has anyone else had this ? I've tried the ignoring but he can keep it up all night and he barks if the whining has no effect. He's a highly dopamine driven dog. We've tried longer walks before bed but this seems to make him worse . He's neutered. I suspect he can smell something really good out at night and wants to follow it . Anyone experienced this ? Suggestions welcome .

It sounds like he can smell a wild animal that is lurking around at night. Could you move his bed to a room on the other side of the house?

Are there any other changes to his behavior? Diet? Routine? Has someone moved in down the road who leaves their cat out at night?

It's a tough one.

No changes to his diet or routine. He's fine during day it just night . Wondered if it's fox or badgers he literally crying to get out there. It's cats central around we're we live and he's never done this before. Gardens fully enclosed so there's nothing in the garden. It's just unusual behaviour and he's driving me nuts with his crying. Could a fox in season have this affect ?

As H Hounds says, moving the bed is a good start. Can your dog see into the garden from where he is. If it is a fox it can bring on territorial behaviour.

No he can't see the garden. But going to try moving bed and keep windows shut. It's certainly something more exciting than a cat with the way he's behaving. It's like he's after something in season but he's been done and it's only at night.