How to get rid of Bindweed

Strong Ammonium Suphate mixture, a pair of surgical (waterproof) gloves and a paintbrush. Paint all the leaves and stems but don't get the mixture on any other plants. Works well on Mares tail weeds too.

Does Ammonium Suphate mixture kill just exposed plants or is it drawn down into the roots?

I am constantly battling both mares tail and bind weed so if it is drawn down to the roots I would be interested in more information

Is the product you recommend Ammonium Sulphamate? This is a product that has been banned as a herbicide but can be bought for other uses.

Edited by Thorpist

Bindweed is vunerable to Glyphosate but grows back very fast from neighbouring populations. The choice is apply glyphosate or dig the soil over and attempt to remove all the roots, or a combination of both. Either way you're looking at several treatments. It's generally recommended to dig out as much as can or just cut it to ground level, wait for it to resprout and then spray with glyphosate when the shoots are very young. If you have older shoots to treat then it's better to crush the leaves before treating.

If there's bindweed left in untreated patches (eg grass paths) or neighbouring allotments it grows back fast underground. Even if you manage to eliminate bindweed from your allotment you'll probably have to go round the boundaries every spring and spray or dig up any shoots you find. It's a real pain, that stuff. At least it does respond to weedkiller unlike some of the other pests.

I did loads of research because of a Mares Tail infestation in the garden and eventually came across Ammonium Sulphamate. Banned by the EU as a weedkiller it seemed more 'friendly' than products like Glyphosate which I read were suspected carcinogens, originally derived from Agent Orange (Vietnam) and made by that global pariah Monsanta! A quick visit to ebay soon sourced the product and a couple of years later, et voila, hardly any Mares Tail at all and no collateral damage. Yes it kills the roots and is also good on tree stumps and weedy drives as well.. Indeed, one of the few products that actually work! A bit like Ferrous Suphate for treating lawn moss - highly effective but also knobled by the EU.

Edited by Afilsdesigne

down south they have got in goats to get it down then treat is that possible or viable

As is mentioned the problem on neighbouring allotment means that it's a continual battle to get rid of the weeds.

I will give the sulphamate a try,.

Thank for the advice

We have Bindweed in our garden creeping through from our neighbours garden. How can we eradicate it ? She is not interested in in hers at all. I keep digging out what I can and still it comes back. I don't want to use weedkiller as we have dome delicate plants in ours. Help!

It's difficult to get rid of, especially if you're not prepared to use Weedkiller.  I've read boiling water can be poured over it to kill it but I suspect it may kill other plants it catches. Otherwise it's just a case of removing it physically every time you see it sprouting

Seeing as my neighbour doesn't care about her garden I'll use boiling water as it wont matter what it catches. Thanks

Salt is a good weedkiller but nothing else will grow in that spot either for a while.  

I've used a mixture of salt and white vinegar and hey presto it's going! Tiny shoots that are coming up I dig out before they get established. It's an ongoing process but I'll crack it! And my neighbours bindweed which is the culprit is dead too! I sprayed it with her permission I might add.