Rowing Boat Rentals / Boat trips

Hi,

Anyone know of anywhere where you rent rowing boats for a few hours? Want to take the Mrs as she loves it and have a picnic. I know Matlock have them but we've been there and done that already? Or anywhere you can have a good cruise on one boat on a river/canal?

Don't want to travel too far

Rother valley country park.

Trent Adventures

Hi,

Anyone know of anywhere where you rent rowing boats for a few hours? Want to take the Mrs as she loves it and have a picnic. I know Matlock have them but we've been there and done that already? Or anywhere you can have a good cruise on one boat on a river/canal?

Don't want to travel too far

Me and my lovely girlfriend have done a lot of research on this exact subject. Here are our findings …

Rudyard Lake (a bit NE of Leek) is a great place for hiring rowing boats for picnicking purposes. In my view, this is the best place fairly locally, Rother Valley being totally rubbish, none on Dam Flask as well as Ladybower. Matlock's rubbish too in the scheme of things.

Further afield, if you go to Ruswarp (outskirts of Whitby), you can hire rowing boats and go inland along the river Esk for as long as you want through great countryside (often beautifully tree lined). This being your typical chocolate box type scenario. You could stay overnight at Ruswarp Hall too which is very reasonably priced and does brill breakfasts. I know you don't want to travel too far, but just an idea.

Bear in mind that where you'd expect there to be a rowing boat hire place, there most probably won't be. This is due to stupid laws on safety, insurance and the like. Even at Rudyard, you're supposed to wear a day-glo safety vest, although the proprietor pretty much tells you there's no need. Sitting in a stationary boat in the middle of a quiet lake, eating a picnic, requires no special safety equipment apart from sun screen lotion if it's very sunny.

Queens Park, Chesterfield had rowing boats last time i went (a few years ago)

Is the one at Millhouses still open?

Is the one at Millhouses still open?

Only paddle boats for kids.

I know this is an old post but great to know Alcoblog - I'll be visiting Sheff next week with some friends and will look into this!

P

Me and my lovely girlfriend have done a lot of research on this exact subject. Here are our findings …

Rudyard Lake (a bit NE of Leek) is a great place for hiring rowing boats for picnicking purposes. In my view, this is the best place fairly locally, Rother Valley being totally rubbish, none on Dam Flask as well as Ladybower. Matlock's rubbish too in the scheme of things.

Further afield, if you go to Ruswarp (outskirts of Whitby), you can hire rowing boats and go inland along the river Esk for as long as you want through great countryside (often beautifully tree lined). This being your typical chocolate box type scenario. You could stay overnight at Ruswarp Hall too which is very reasonably priced and does brill breakfasts. I know you don't want to travel too far, but just an idea.

Bear in mind that where you'd expect there to be a rowing boat hire place, there most probably won't be. This is due to stupid laws on safety, insurance and the like. Even at Rudyard, you're supposed to wear a day-glo safety vest, although the proprietor pretty much tells you there's no need. Sitting in a stationary boat in the middle of a quiet lake, eating a picnic, requires no special safety equipment apart from sun screen lotion if it's very sunny.