Eleven million quid for church windows.

Great point samssong but how do Working Men's Club's fit in there ?

Well like youth clubs many have had to close due to lack of funds .

It seems as though funds can be found for grand projects (see Royal palaces and stately homes ) but not for the nitty gritty buildings that are actually needed in more needy communities .

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 07:50 ----------

They might give to a newsworthy charity, but will the poor drinkers give to the poor?

From what I have observed the answer is yes.

Hardly anyone "worships" there anymore.

Even though it represents and was built for something fairly unpleasant it's a beautiful building and is part of the tapestry of York that brings in 100s of thousands of tourists. It's a part of our history that needs preserving.

Indeed. Thousands of tourists in the city every single day spending over £500m in York a year.

Why risk that by following sammsong's plan to get Safestyle in to do the windows instead?

What a stupid ignorant OP.

York Minster is one of he most important historical buildings in the country and as pointed out a major tourist draw.

The money is raise mostly through pubic donations. They can donate to where they like

Pub goers are well known for their charitable work.

How much charity work or public donations do you make sammsong?

Well this takes the biscuit .

The Church have announced that they are to spend eleven million pounds not on helping the poor and dispossessed but instead to protect the stained glass windows on York Minster.

Day by day we see the homeless situation getting worse, people sleeping in shop door ways , we see schools, library's, working mens clubs, and hospitals closing due to lack of funds, mean while!!! the pillar of goodness that is religion ( whatever god one worships) decides that their temple is a more important than the very poor that they pretend to represent .

Every day on T.V we see the obscene wealth and jewelled encrusted churches along with their similar trimmed up priests preaching the message that the humble will inherit the Earth while practising the exact opposite .

There is more goodness in the local pub tap room where locals will often give their last penny to the latest local tragedy than there is in the ivory towers of religion.

And.... breathe...

That feel better?? I could feel the spittle from here!!

Well im glad that you have brought into the light the terrible plight of the working mens clubs, I was panicking a bit there

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 08:42 ----------

Im sure that all the pub goers are pleased that they have helped pay for that charity case up at Man City where they desperately needed to spend 52 MILLION on a football player!!!!

It would cost much more to replace the original church glass windows, if they were just left without modern day protection.

York Minster have spent alot more than 11 million quid refurbishing the stained glass windows.

Luckily they've not let ignorant idiots like samssong stop their work.

i would imagine that York minster is a listed building so the church have a legal as well as a moral duty to maintain it for future generations.

York Minster have spent alot more than 11 million quid refurbishing the stained glass windows.

Luckily they've not let ignorant idiots like samssong stop their work.

I can feel the godliness coming out on this thread .

Gentle Jesus would have been right behind all the wealth and extravagance displayed by the disciples in York and Rome:hihi:

The millions of pounds would be re-distributed to the craftsman and small firms and everone involved in the restoration project, and their taxes contributing towards (at least in part) social security.

Didn't Jesus of Nazareth honour the Temple in Jerusalem, a building of no mean size and cost?

Edited by carosio

I can feel the godliness coming out on this thread .

Luckily you can ask God to be forgiven, even from total stupidity :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Luckily you can ask God to be forgiven, even from total stupidity :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have asked him to stop all the wars ,famine and disease as well as helping the Owls to get promoted , up to now now't doing.;)

I have asked him to stop all the wars ,famine and disease as well as helping the Owls to get promoted , up to now now't doing.;)

you"ve got a chance with the first three sam, but getting the owls promoted... think about it.