Demolition of Bennett cottage, Mayfield Road, S10 4PR

There's no reason not to allow the building to be demolished.

oh heck that's gross! I can understand that a cottage that has been added to over the years may not have a good layout but that proposed new house is gross! I like all types of houses and read house magazines to see lots of styles of décor and renovation. If the property is hidden by trees then fine. If not, it seems incongruous me. I really hate to see something modern clashing with traditional housing styles or spoiling a traditional scenic environment.

I am considering building a new property myself in several years to come. I want an 'eco' house, environmentally friendly, probably fairly modern but I would not want it to look like a boxy commercial building.

I'm watching this with interest.

The new house looks good. Im not a fan of knocking down old houses but it is the only way to build a new house in many areas. Unless people change the planning rules and accept certain development (maybe only carbon zero homes, or maybe only green belt that is walking distance to shops, schools or transport stops) in green belt then it is only fair that people can knock down and build if they want.

There's no reason not to allow the building to be demolished.

I went through school with the last owner’s son. She sold last year. I spent a lot of time there as a kid and remember there were lots of interesting historic features. These included - what I now know is - a cruck beam which musr be at least a few hundred years old and elsewhere in the country that would be immediately listed.

It’s a such a shame that the brainless morons employed by the planning department didn’t bother to check this out during the planning application as the cruck’s destruction will mean the loss of a really rare piece of Sheffield history.

Anyway it’s been the planning department’s mindset to destroy all the city’s historic assets for decades now so this is no surprise to me.

I went through school with the last owner’s son. She sold last year. I spent a lot of time there as a kid and remember there were lots of interesting historic features. These included - what I now know is - a cruck beam which musr be at least a few hundred years old and elsewhere in the country that would be immediately listed.

It’s a such a shame that the brainless morons employed by the planning department didn’t bother to check this out during the planning application as the cruck’s destruction will mean the loss of a really rare piece of Sheffield history.

Anyway it’s been the planning department’s mindset to destroy all the city’s historic assets for decades now so this is no surprise to me.

To be fair to the planners, they haven't made a decision. Historic England made a decision not to list the building. However, you might be the one with important information.

Can you tell us if your friend's mum was the one who removed the cruck beam? The question that we need the answer to is who removed the cruck beam and when. Can you help?

The planners didn't allow the cruck beam to be removed. This was done before Historic England surveyed the building to make sure that they would not list it, and it could be knocked down for development (I assume).

Modern architecture eh! You either love it or hate it; but hasn't that always been the case.

I live in an area where there are old mill buildings that have been derelict for years; some have been turned into flats, which is great. But its not always feasible to reuse the building shell.

I am a tree-hugger too ;)

To be fair to the planners, they haven't made a decision. Historic England made a decision not to list the building. However, you might be the one with important information.

Can you tell us if your friend's mum was the one who removed the cruck beam? The question that we need the answer to is who removed the cruck beam and when. Can you help?

Sorry I don’t have the answer to this but just sent you a PM with what I know.

I live in an area where there are old mill buildings that have been derelict for years; some have been turned into flats, which is great. But its not always feasible to reuse the building shell.

I am a tree-hugger too ;)

You can build the outside walls back up so the area retains the same character and the building doesn't look like a carbuncle. We had to do this as we live in a conservation area.

The cruck was left in situ when the barn was restored some years ago so it should still be there. 15th C I believe.

The cottage is really old too - what a rotten shame that someone thinks demolishing it is a good idea when its been there so long. It's part of Sheffield's historic past which is diminishing year on year because not enough's done to protect it. I don't disapprove of progress but in town where the commerce/Universities take precedence then it seems less destructive than out in the green belt. I know this property extremely well, inside and out.

P

Hi everyone.

I AM LETTING YOU KNOW THAT ALTHOUGH THE APPLICATION  TO DEMOLISH  THIS BEAUTIFUL OLD

COTTAGE AND BARN  WAS 'REFUSED' BY THE PLANNING DEPT LAST YEAR, THE OWNER HAS PUT AN 

APPEAL IN.  SO NOW WE ARE, ON THE FIGHT AGAIN TO SAVE THIS  HISTORIC 'GEM' IN THE VALLEY.

Please, help! time runs out 29th March 2021.

I'd like to have asked the owner, ' IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THE COTTAGE, WHY DID YOU BUY IT'.

If this gets passed, where will it stop?!

On 04/03/2021 at 16:16, Heartshome said:

Hi everyone.

I AM LETTING YOU KNOW THAT ALTHOUGH THE APPLICATION  TO DEMOLISH  THIS BEAUTIFUL OLD

COTTAGE AND BARN  WAS 'REFUSED' BY THE PLANNING DEPT LAST YEAR, THE OWNER HAS PUT AN 

APPEAL IN.  SO NOW WE ARE, ON THE FIGHT AGAIN TO SAVE THIS  HISTORIC 'GEM' IN THE VALLEY.

Please, help! time runs out 29th March 2021.

I'd like to have asked the owner, ' IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN THE COTTAGE, WHY DID YOU BUY IT'.

If this gets passed, where will it stop?!

It’s the only way they could get to put up a new build in that area.  It would set a very dangerous precedent if passed. 
I never understand why people are attracted to a pretty, rural area but then want to uglify it.