Demolition of Bennett cottage, Mayfield Road, S10 4PR

There is currently a planning application to demolish this cottage in the picturesque Mayfield valley and build a modern flat roofed property which will look like a nuclear bunker.

If you use the Mayfield valley in Fulwood (perhaps as a walker or cyclist), may I suggest you consult the Sheffield City Council planning department website and bring up planning application 17/02756.

If you wish to object to what will be an eyesore, please register on the website and post your objection

.........got to say it's back to the 70s........a load of featureless boxes randomly stuck together!

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/6FF400C4B8F96E4B8542D587227EB522/pdf/17_02756_FUL-PROPOSED_PLANS_AND_ELEVATIONS-1122263.pdf

Never seen a bunker with large glass windows before.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 14:11 ----------

Can anyone identify the property on street view?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3602028,-1.5579508,3a,75y,127.43h,77.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEPhU9l84-_hatnFxpJkxFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That's Mayfield road.

The site is near Douse Croft Lane, off Mayfield Lane up a long drive, opposite Brown Hills.

I think the proposal looks great and is sympathetic to the area. I'm a bona fide tree-hugger and I see nothing wrong with this at all.

Edited by xsf7

Modern architecture eh! You either love it or hate it; but hasn't that always been the case.

Le Corbusier would have been proud of this design for it follows many of his ideas.

It's a very appealing design and would be superb in the right environment; although, having said that, I'm not familiar with its location and traditional and modern can complement each other.

Such a pity that a lovely old cottage has to be sacrificed in this case.

If approved, another piece of our heritage will bite the dust.

Good luck, by the way, to the future owners of the flat roof!

echo.

Yea you can only see the gate from Mayfield Road

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.36375,-1.5661,183m/data=!3m1!1e3

Yes I don't think you can see the building from any public roads or paths - except maybe from a distance.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 22:33 ----------

If approved, another piece of our heritage will bite the dust.

echo.

The cottage doesn't look very attractive to be fair - and it's heritage value seems minimal.

Yes I don't think you can see the building from any public roads or paths - except maybe from a distance.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 22:33 ----------

The cottage doesn't look very attractive to be fair - and it's heritage value seems minimal.

All a matter of opinion, I suppose

Looking at the photos on the Design & Access statement of the application it looks attractive to me but 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' as they say.

Too many functional old buildings have been demolished in the past because of apathy and a trend to modernize areas.

It's my view that the preservation of vernacular architecture is just as important for future generations as those buildings that are deemed to be more significant and are 'listed'.

Bennet Cottage has a history and, by its appearance, it will have been built several generations ago; hence its heritage value.

echo.

That looks pretty horrid and not fitting in with the environment. he replacement looks nice but just not in that setting.

Is it the large cluster of buildings at the end of that driveway?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3638102,-1.5662091,43m/data=!3m1!1e3

Or the one structure halfway up on the right?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3631232,-1.5661371,50m/data=!3m1!1e3

The (first) jumble of buildings furthest up the drive.

The Design & Access statement is the document you need, Cyclone

:)

It looks like Historic England has turned down the proposal to list the building but, as the CPRE points out, that doesn't mean that planning permission should automatically be granted for demolition.