Disgusting Sheffield Council Practices

It's not just Sheffield, it's a lot of council around the county.

If you had done your research as a landlord you'd know all this already.

The council are not at fault here.

Thats about as stupid as it gets, thanks for that.

If this is the councils advice to people renting privately do you really think that landlord is going to accept anyone else on housing benefit??

Of course they won't and to make matters worse they'll tell all their mates to refuse housing benefit claimants as well, to prevent them getting dicked around by the council.

They're making a rod for their own back.

It's not just Sheffield, it's a lot of council around the county.

But they are all shifting the problem as landlords will not let to familys with kids

as they have trouble when lease is up . Got to state were landlords will not let to any one on benefits except if its on council estate and hard to let . Make it were housing benefit is paid direct to landlords as it used to be to give landlords a chance

Edited by spider1

The Council will be well-aware. It's documented policy in most Councils, if not all. The idea is to kick the currently-existing problem down the field as far as is possible. Besides, something may happen that means the problem doesn't even materialise to the point where the Council actually need to do something.

It's sensible, in the eyes of the Council. It's work-avoidance on a pragmatic level - not bad, as they are protecting the public purse and any level of involvement costs something.

In the eyes of a Landlord it's vindictive and unfair... and can often be costly.

In the eyes of a Tenant it can often be confusing and not what they actually want to be doing, but someone in authority is advising them that this is how it goes down.

It's why many Landlords will not contemplate letting to people in receipt of LHA. Even if it was paid directly. The amounts received, in South Yorkshire, are relatively low and in arrears anyway, the payment schedule is confusing (13 x 4 weekly payments vs. the monthly we mostly work to with 'normal' Tenants), the LHA can be stopped at any time, for almost any reason, the Council seems to think you're somehow responsible for your Tenant (like they are some kind of pet or dependant), and you can forget about rises in rent of any meaningful nature... once you get on this bandwagon, if you have an OK Tenant they'll probably be there until they die... if you get a nightmare LHA Tenant they'll probably be there until you die (of stress).

The Council will be well-aware. It's documented policy in most Councils, if not all.

Yea you see it on telly all the time, the council won't do anything until a person turns up on their doorstep with no home to go to.

It's still not good for the landlord or the tenant and will just end up stigmatising those in receipt of HB.

BGot to state were landlords will not let to any one on benefits except if its on council estate and hard to let

It's already fairly common now, but it'll only end up at the point where the only places people with HB can go (to rent privately) are the worst, most deprived and most run down areas.

Although my tenant is on the councils priority list to re house they have said that still behind asylum seekers in the system.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 16:42 ----------

Not fair?

If you had done your research as a landlord you'd know all this already. It amazes me how many landlords think renting is 100% profit.

The council are not at fault here. Do you have any idea the pressures they are under to help everyone that presents as homeless? There is not enough housing. They have to do whatever they can to prevent homelessness. Does your "friend" have children? Keeping them with a roof over their heads if the number one priority here, not your feelings about following a legal process and applying to court.

I made zero profit here. It was a favour for a friend that's going to leave me seriously out of pocket and something I wish I'd never entertained

the main problem here is although it sounds bad,some people may go to a friend or pay a landlord for short term,then say they have to go,then go to the council jump the waiting list and get a short cut to a nice house from the council and as they are in short supply its not fair to those waiting,i have a friend with children and works who has waited over 11 years to get a 2 bed council house at lowedges and theres many more the same,so although I sympathise with you,i hope you see it could be a fiddle by some people to use as a short cut ,to beat 10-15 years waiting time.

Although my tenant is on the councils priority list to re house they have said that still behind asylum seekers in the system.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 16:42 ----------

I made zero profit here. It was a favour for a friend that's going to leave me seriously out of pocket and something I wish I'd never entertained

Just pointing out that that asylum seekers are not eligible for council housing. The government houses them via companies like G4, so they can't be in front of your friend. It's all here: https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/policy_research/the_truth_about_asylum/facts_about_asylum_-_page_1

There are available properties with no waiting time, people don't need to be homeless to apply. Here's the info:https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/PropertySearch/Results?Sender=ResultsPage&AttemptedLocationName=S62ph&PreviousAttemptedLocationName=S1&AttemptedLocationLongitude=0&AttemptedLocationLatitude=0&SearchRadius=5&SortOrder=0&PreviousSortOrder=0&PropertyID=&AllocationScheme=556&AdvertTypes=1&ConfigurablePanelFilter=12&ConfigurablePanelFilter=11&ConfigurablePanelFilter=14&AccommodationTypes=1&AccommodationTypes=2&AccommodationTypes=3&AdvertisedDates=&_=1501010516453

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Yup... Asylum seekers are supported by the home office for 6 months then have to sort themselves out. They are certainly not pushed to the top of the housing register. Refugees supported by the council are all put into private rented properties via the Gateway scheme. Where do people come up with bizarre "facts"?!

Ok I thought it might be a benefit thing but I'm happy to be told otherwise. I've not seen any corespondence yet as I'm out of the county but it's common practice (my wife used to work for a lettings company)

So you should be aware of how things work; this just seems like a daft thread having a go at asylum seekers and the council.

A friend would not leave a friend out of pocket. That's tough, but it is true. You may have done something altruistic, but it may end up biting you back - it may already have. It may damage your friendship, maybe irretrievably.

There is a Landlord rule - like Lesson 101 - it's never let property to family or friends. What that amounts to is simply this - never let property to someone you would not be willing to evict. You're not a professional Landlord, you just did what you did - but it's a cautionary tale for anyone reading this and remotely thinking of doing the same.

Thats about as stupid as it gets, thanks for that.

If this is the councils advice to people renting privately do you really think that landlord is going to accept anyone else on housing benefit??

Of course they won't and to make matters worse they'll tell all their mates to refuse housing benefit claimants as well, to prevent them getting dicked around by the council.

Again... it's nothing to do with Housing Benefit. Anyone can present as homeless if they are at genuine risk of it. Full time employed people present as homeless because they have been served notice on a private property and cannot afford the deposit/ estate agent fees/ rent in advance for a new property.

Housing benefit has nothing to do with the advice that the council give these people to stay put until the last possible moment to avoid them ending up homeless. There is only so much temporary accommodation available. It's advice they HAVE to give.