"Paedophile hunters" in sheffield

How do they find them to start with? Do they look with people with a criminal record or have at least been charged with an offence or do they put a facebook profile up and hope a perv makes contact?

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 12:45 ----------

True, but we're dealing with individuals who knowingly arranged to meet a child to have a sexual encounter with said child, but Is it necessary for the paedophile to physically carry out the act in order for the system to punish them lawfully? As I see it, the system can only punish offenders whereas paedophile hunters protect children from predators by exposing them before they carry out the act.

I think you can be prosecuted for grooming, but Im not sure.

I think that running towards it can only cause/re-enforce the harm to the victim.

This kind of crime is thankfully very rare, despite what sensational Media would have you believe. So I ask again, if these "vigilantes" are interested in tackling crime why don't they focus their efforts on other, more common forms of criminality.

They are not vigilantes they are survivors and for that reason not interested in other forms of crime

They are not vigilantes they are survivors and for that reason not interested in other forms of crime

Sadly, a good number of offenders will be survivors too.

Given that there are people wanting to do this, and a lack of resources, perhaps there ought to be some way of working with the police to ensure that ongoing investigations to catch a network are not hindered by individual stings, that a proper case can be brought for maximum effect etc.

Of course that would involve the Police accepting the help, and it would also involve those doing the groundwork being satisfied with justice being done rather than the kudos and 5 minutes of internet fame on youtube. I wonder if some would still be as thorough and keen if it wasn't to get some sort of personal glory?

How do they find them to start with? Do they look with people with a criminal record or have at least been charged with an offence or do they put a facebook profile up and hope a perv makes contact?

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 12:45 ----------

I think you can be prosecuted for grooming, but Im not sure.

You can, you're right, but usually after the child has been violated in some way. Like I said, an inappropriate act of some sort has to occur before any charges are brought against the perpetrator. Prevention is greater than cure.

You can, you're right, but usually after the child has been violated in some way. Like I said, an inappropriate act of some sort has to occur before any charges are brought against the perpetrator. Prevention is greater than cure.

I would get yourself a bit better acquainted with the law pal.

In many cases involving grooming (via social media or internet) there is no contact whatsoever between offender and victim and no inappropriate act occurs at all.

In the vigilante type cases the vigilantes pose as children and seek to cause the offender to 'meet' up - hence the police concern about entrapment and what happens at the point of the 'meeting'.

I would get yourself a bit better acquainted with the law pal.

In many cases involving grooming (via social media or internet) there is no contact whatsoever between offender and victim and no inappropriate act occurs at all.

In the vigilante type cases the vigilantes pose as children and seek to cause the offender to 'meet' up - hence the police concern about entrapment and what happens at the point of the 'meeting'.

Interesting point actually.

Can you convict someone of grooming a child, when the child isn't a child.

I seem to think you're a CPS person? How would you look to charge something like this? Is it along the Shivpuri lines for attempting the impossible, or would there be an attempt to actually charge for the offence? Been a while since my criminal law days I have to admit.

Interesting point actually.

Can you convict someone of grooming a child, when the child isn't a child.

I seem to think you're a CPS person? How would you look to charge something like this? Is it along the Shivpuri lines for attempting the impossible, or would there be an attempt to actually charge for the offence? Been a while since my criminal law days I have to admit.

Not CPS.

Try s.14 or s.15 or s.15A - SOA 2003

Not CPS.

Try s.14 or s.15 or s.15A - SOA 2003

Ah thank you. I left criminal before 2003, so hadn't quite kept up!

Unfortunately there are many cases of mistaken identity. One such case where a female paediatrician was mistaken for a paedophile!

There are also recorded of cases of people being murdered through mistaken identity.

Yes, carry on hunting these perverts but hand all evidence to police and not put it on social media until found guilty.

I wonder how many cases have been dismissed through ID issues?

I actually saw this vigilante chap on Saturday afternoon - I was walking with a mate down from the Peace Gardens towards Kelham Island, and we passed him being accompanied by a constable in the direction of West Bar Police Station. He was dressed in civvies with what looked like a black stab vest over the top loaded with clips and fasteners - I assume for audio and video kit. I thought he must be a plain clothes officer until they passed us and saw he had the word 'Creep Catchers' written on the back of the vest.

I don't know why, but that detail felt a bit tacky to me? Surely catching these 'creeps' and sending them to jail is reward enough without the need to make sure everyone to knows who you are?

I agree. Very tacky indeed.

I actually saw this vigilante chap on Saturday afternoon - I was walking with a mate down from the Peace Gardens towards Kelham Island, and we passed him being accompanied by a constable in the direction of West Bar Police Station. He was dressed in civvies with what looked like a black stab vest over the top loaded with clips and fasteners - I assume for audio and video kit. I thought he must be a plain clothes officer until they passed us and saw he had the word 'Creep Catchers' written on the back of the vest.

I don't know why, but that detail felt a bit tacky to me? Surely catching these 'creeps' and sending them to jail is reward enough without the need to make sure everyone to knows who you are?

You would've thought so. Doing this kind of work will be voluntary....Someone earlier in the thread alluded to those doing this kind of work like to 'grandstand', and give it the 'big I am'.

Still, it must make for an interesting conversation at the Job Centre, as to why those who work for 'creep catchers' are not actively seeking work.