"Paedophile hunters" in sheffield

I've no sympathy with paedophiles at all... but, I'm cocerned that the rule of law, as opposed to the lynch mob applies. If, and it's a big if, there's not enough evidence to prosecute the alleged paedo, he's got a runner on an action against the 'citizen's arrester' for wrongful arrest. If you arrest someone in good faith you can still be liable for depriving someone of his (or her) liberty.

I'm against non-police lynch mobs.

I've no sympathy with paedophiles at all... but, I'm cocerned that the rule of law, as opposed to the lynch mob applies. If, and it's a big if, there's not enough evidence to prosecute the alleged paedo, he's got a runner on an action against the 'citizen's arrester' for wrongful arrest. If you arrest someone in good faith you can still be liable for depriving someone of his (or her) liberty.

I'm against non-police lynch mobs.

Is it really a lynch mob or just making a known that certain individuals are acting towards children in a vile way.

thats my thoughts, they just find them and stand with them until the police arrive. i know if it was my daughter being targeted i'd be happy there was these guys being there to stop it. the police are stretched as it is so i'm all for them getting abit of help. i'd be against any violence though

Why would he arrange a meet with someone who's innocent? Surely, if he's posing as a child who agrees to meet a specifically dressed person in a specific place at a specific time then its him? I suppose coincidence is possible but rather unlikely in my opinion.

Surely without some seriously good record keeping, information which shows that the whole contact process wasn't deliberate entrapment on the part of the investigator and the like then there's a really big risk that the social media video could be the only way in which the target is actually punished?

The police and the criminal justice system work on a little thing called 'evidence' and in order to not be excluded as evidence there does need to be a protocol followed to memorialise and record specific details which show that the exchanges have not been faked or spoofed, among other things. The whole point of this is not to just accuse someone in public is it? Without a conviction nothing of note will actually happen to this person, and without a conviction that leaves the accuser open to prosecution for harassment and defamation too, as well as at risk of getting their nose punched through their face at the confrontation.

Surely without some seriously good record keeping, information which shows that the whole contact process wasn't deliberate entrapment on the part of the investigator and the like then there's a really big risk that the social media video could be the only way in which the target is actually punished?

The police and the criminal justice system work on a little thing called 'evidence' and in order to not be excluded as evidence there does need to be a protocol followed to memorialise and record specific details which show that the exchanges have not been faked or spoofed, among other things. The whole point of this is not to just accuse someone in public is it? Without a conviction nothing of note will actually happen to this person, and without a conviction that leaves the accuser open to prosecution for harassment and defamation too, as well as at risk of getting their nose punched through their face at the confrontation.

True, but we're dealing with individuals who knowingly arranged to meet a child to have a sexual encounter with said child, but Is it necessary for the paedophile to physically carry out the act in order for the system to punish them lawfully? As I see it, the system can only punish offenders whereas paedophile hunters protect children from predators by exposing them before they carry out the act.

When someone told me they were a peedophile hunter I gave them a packet of frozen Petit Pois.

Guest busdriver1
No complaints here. None whatsoever. Some might argue that child molestation is a matter for the police, but where's the sense in waiting for the child to be molested when you're in a position to prevent it by exposing a troubled individual who poses a serious risk to children? I think it's commendable, more people should be doing it.

I take it then that you think collateral damage like a pediatrician being attacked because the vigilantes thought it was another word for paedophile is equally OK?

This is a class example of why they should not do it.

I have mixed feelings about this,. Whilst i beleive they are doing a good service I cant help but feel it is for their own gratification. To make themselves look tough, clever, that sort of thing.

On the other hand a couple of years ago maybe, one of these peadophile hunter groups snared someone I used to go to school with. He got sent down. When it made the news It reminded me of rumors about this individual i heard whilst at school. Even back then I never payed much attention to rumors but looking back It would seem they were true. I cant help wonder how many kids he abused in the 25+ since my school days. I also wonder how many younger kids he had his way with whilst at school.

Hopefully he will get some form of treatment but can this kind of thing even be treated?

I look at it like this. I fancy women, Some men fancy men, some men fancy busty women, some men like the slimmer kind of lady, some men fancy kids.

I dont think its an illness, i think its the way they are wired and whilst I hope im wrong I dont think it can really be treated.

I have mixed feelings about this,. Whilst i beleive they are doing a good service I cant help but feel it is for their own gratification.

I actually saw this vigilante chap on Saturday afternoon - I was walking with a mate down from the Peace Gardens towards Kelham Island, and we passed him being accompanied by a constable in the direction of West Bar Police Station. He was dressed in civvies with what looked like a black stab vest over the top loaded with clips and fasteners - I assume for audio and video kit. I thought he must be a plain clothes officer until they passed us and saw he had the word 'Creep Catchers' written on the back of the vest.

I don't know why, but that detail felt a bit tacky to me? Surely catching these 'creeps' and sending them to jail is reward enough without the need to make sure everyone to knows who you are?

I take it then that you think collateral damage like a pediatrician being attacked because the vigilantes thought it was another word for paedophile is equally OK?

This is a class example of why they should not do it.

You can take whatever you like however you like, but for future reference, don't attach your own personal sentiments to any view you believe I might hold simply to pour scorn over it. If you're asking whether I hold the view you made reference to? I don't.

---------- Post added 25-07-2017 at 11:09 ----------

I have mixed feelings about this,. Whilst i beleive they are doing a good service I cant help but feel it is for their own gratification. To make themselves look tough, clever, that sort of thing.

On the other hand a couple of years ago maybe, one of these peadophile hunter groups snared someone I used to go to school with. He got sent down. When it made the news It reminded me of rumors about this individual i heard whilst at school. Even back then I never payed much attention to rumors but looking back It would seem they were true. I cant help wonder how many kids he abused in the 25+ since my school days. I also wonder how many younger kids he had his way with whilst at school.

Hopefully he will get some form of treatment but can this kind of thing even be treated?

I look at it like this. I fancy women, Some men fancy men, some men fancy busty women, some men like the slimmer kind of lady, some men fancy kids.

I dont think its an illness, i think its the way they are wired and whilst I hope im wrong I dont think it can really be treated.

Its a human condition that should be treated as an illness where the sufferer struggles to cope with what they consider to be inappropriate thoughts and feelings about children, but whilst not every sufferer acts upon their feelings, some do, and I champion the efforts of anyone who publically exposes them after catching them in the act.

For survivors I could imagine it is a way of dealing with the rollercoaster of emotions they will encounter every day of their lives following such an attack.

We all have to deal with what life throws at us and not run away from it.

For survivors I could imagine it is a way of dealing with the rollercoaster of emotions they will encounter every day of their lives following such an attack.

We all have to deal with what life throws at us and not run away from it.

I think that running towards it can only cause/re-enforce the harm to the victim.

This kind of crime is thankfully very rare, despite what sensational Media would have you believe. So I ask again, if these "vigilantes" are interested in tackling crime why don't they focus their efforts on other, more common forms of criminality.