What sort of mattress do you sleep on?

I prefer ultrahard spring/boxspring. Tried waterbeds, memory foam and European style foam (duh) and there is nothing better for my and my back than very, very hard sprung mattresses.

i would recommend to you latex topped mattress with pocket springs king size

pocket springs - no roll together

latex top- keeps you cool in summer, warm in winter.

make sure its pure latex tho as others are cheaper but not same quality.

also latex keeps its shape and moulds to your body , so quite comfy.

memory foam might be comfy , but as previous poster states its hot in summer , you will sweat

also its a man-made product , not natural like latex.

let us know how you get on

Edited by stylefree

Memory foam, it's only about 15cm thick. Don't like it as it retains too much heat for me even in winter.

I actually had a better sleep on my 15 year old sprung mattress.

You really need to try them out as they're a big investment for a decent one. A friend of mine ended up cutting one in half as his wife couldn't get on with it even though he loved it so they now have two half mattresses fastened together :)

Looking to buy a new mattress (long overdue) and, like everything these days, you need a science degree to make a decision! Always had a spring mattress but the memory foam ones seem well advertised. Anyone got an opinion on which is best?

Most companies now give you a 100 day guarantee, but I would definitely go to the shops and try a few out first. We switched to a hard foam mattress about 9 months ago and my back is a lot better. It has a 25 year guarantee too, so no problems with it becoming faulty within the 8 years before you are meant to replace them.

The Simba mattresses are meant to be very comfortable and they also give a 100 Night Sleep Trial.

One thing we considered is how long you will use it for. If you divide the cost by 8 years, its really not that expensive a purchase that you are going to use daily.

Edited by Berberis

Pocket sprung mattress, any good make Silentnight, Relyon, Sealy, Sleepeezee, John Lewis do a good range in their own brand a bit pricey though the more pockets the better and if you can get one a sprung base to go with it they were on the market up to a few years ago and never a memory foam or foam toppers I know its a personal choice we bought one from a famous store down the bottom of the moor it lasted eighteen months it was not worn out just the indentations would not let you move about you ended laying in a trough on your side of the bed also it you are a warm person then in the summers you will toast they hold the heat, I was told by an orthopaedic surgeon that memory foam does not support your spine when you are laid for hours a sleep this will give you problems in later life a mattress needs to be semi firm to firm if you sit on the edge and it does not spring back to shape don't buy it.

Edited by MEC176

Like a lot of others I cant sleep on a memory foam one as it makes me too hot and sweaty. I prefer to sleep on a medium firm pocket sprung one and as MEC176 mentions John Lewis do a good range.

Memory foam mattresses can get very warm even in winter. We stayed in hotel which advertised memory foam mattresses, we found it too hot and had trouble sleeping. I think that pocket sprung are best

I like a good pocket sprung mattress, but my OH has always thought that our current mattress (a pocket sprung John Lewis one) is too hard and as he's got an old hip injury from playing rugby I have a feeling that he may be better supported and more comfortable on a memory foam mattress. The heat of a memory foam one wouldn't really suit either of us though, so we're a bit stuck.

I use both - have a spring one on the base then a separate memory foam on top - makes the bed nice and high and easier to get in and out of. Wouldn't sleep on anything else other than a memory foam. Make sure you buy a coolmax cover for it - keeps you cool and stops the 'overheating' problems.

we use a tempur one,really comfprtable and a 15 year guarantee

anyone got a simba or casper one and what do you think too it?

also dormeo seem decent too, anyone got one?

I like a good pocket sprung mattress, but my OH has always thought that our current mattress (a pocket sprung John Lewis one) is too hard and as he's got an old hip injury from playing rugby I have a feeling that he may be better supported and more comfortable on a memory foam mattress. The heat of a memory foam one wouldn't really suit either of us though, so we're a bit stuck.

try latex topper