BBC stars wages made public

Heh@ all the Sheffield jealousy. Typical SF thread.

People at the top of their profession earn a lot of money. I only had issue with a few of them, but there are thousands of other people who earn a lot more than this small number .

These days the BBC rely on repeat programmes far too much......

Yesterday on BBC 1, out of 24 programmes .... 12 were repeats ! which is a typical days viewing.

Same for Sky ;)

And people happily pay for that.

I've been paying for mine for years and couldn't tell you the last time I watched a BBC program or listened to their radio.

Out of interest, if you're not watching the BBC, what are you watching that's so much better?

Like most things. It's not what it was and should be put out to tender.

Like the NHS or other public services?

Edited by Magilla

£2.2 million is still 2 million too much...

There is also the issue of being paid by the BBC or by their 'company.' I'm not sure I understand the difference, but you can bet they earn a lot more than stated.

What's so special about Chris Evans that warrants that sort of money?

Pretty disgusting really.

He presents the most popular radio show on the most popular radio station in the whole of the UK (and perhaps Europe) with 9.4M people tuning into his show every week. That works out at 23p per listener per year.

In the light of the gender pay gap at the BBC in terms of the published top salaries, The Sun had an editorial claiming the BBC was a sexist organisation.

That's right, The Sun complaining that the BBC is a sexist organisation :rolleyes:

I think the real question is, should the public, many who don't even watch the beeb or listen to it's radio stations, have to pay these wages via their tv licence fees.

I think the BBC should be made private not public and licences stopped. I've been paying for mine for years and couldn't tell you the last time I watched a BBC program or listened to their radio.

Like most things. It's not what it was and should be put out to tender.

You get all of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stations_of_the_BBC for £12/mnth. if you can't find anything to watch/listen to in that lot then I pity you... and wonder what the hell you are watching that's so much better.

Edited by barleycorn

I feel sorry for these celebrities, how would you feel if your earnings were publicly displayed all over the newspapers and all and sunder commented to the end of the earth whether you are worth it or not.

I also for the majority don't see any gender pay issues, they all get paid what they are worth in revenue. Plus they are in very different jobs, in very different circumstances. How for example, can Chris Evans be compared to Claudia Winkleman?

If any debate about earnings happens it should be about footballers and the ridiculous sums they get paid, just for kicking a football around! I think any Prime Minister should be paid more than any footballer... they should do a job swap to see how a footballer copes in that situation. They can't collapse in apparent agony in the middle of the House of Commons because someone said something mean about them...:hihi:

Guest makapaka
I feel sorry for these celebrities, how would you feel if your earnings were publicly displayed all over the newspapers and all and sunder commented to the end of the earth whether you are worth it or not.

I also for the majority don't see any gender pay issues, they all get paid what they are worth in revenue. Plus they are in very different jobs, in very different circumstances. How for example, can Chris Evans be compared to Claudia Winkleman?

If any debate about earnings happens it should be about footballers and the ridiculous sums they get paid, just for kicking a football around! I think any Prime Minister should be paid more than any footballer... they should do a job swap to see how a footballer copes in that situation. They can't collapse in apparent agony in the middle of the House of Commons because someone said something mean about them...:hihi:

Why is a footballer different to a tv/radio presenter. Why do you feel sorry for one but not the other?

I think there should be a cap on earnings and male and female colleagues should be paid the same amount of money for doing the same job regardless of popularity..

Maybe as an insentive to bring in more viewers and listeners, bonuses could be awarded to those, such as chris evans who does by far have more listeners than any other BBC radio presenter, but it should be based on a weekly/monthly/quaterly/yearly drive brand or something.. set targets and if they reach them then hey, here's a bonus and well done but all presenters in the same field should be paid the same flat rate..

Dont forget, everyone can be replaced! if they dont like it then feel free to go elsewhere and let someone else have a go..

I dont mind paying the fee, but maybe if the salaries werent so high then the licence fee would be cheaper and more affordable..

What i absolutely dont agree with though is people being fined for not paying it!!! that is beyond ridiculous...

Also, why do we have to pay the licence fee for BBC even though some of us are already paying for sky / virgin etc which have these programmes available? surely you'd think the cost would be included and then sky etc pay the BBC from what it takes from its customers??

bit wrong there its 2.2m from the bbc for evans

I know Chris Evans works for the BBC, what I said was that I heard what he earns on ITV.

What I failed to put in my posting was ' The News '

Be careful what you wish for... I think you mean a footballer should be paid less than the Prime Minister, not that the PM should be paid millions.

The problem is, top pay is soaring away into the stratosphere while ordinary mortals who do just as equally important jobs, are suffering a pay freeze, especially with inflation on the rise. There is no possible justification for the gap that has opened up.

It makes a mockery of 'A fair day's pay for a fair day's work.'

I know Chris Evans works for the BBC, what I said was that I heard what he earns on ITV.

What I failed to put in my posting was ' The News '

You have his earnings down as 20 million in your opening post.......dangerous was pointing out your error.