BBC stars wages made public

I was reading the reactions of people in the media sector to the publication of the salaries of the people who earn more than £150,000 p.a. Apparently, one of the consequences is that such publication could be inflationary, where competitors could lure such individuals away with the promise of higher salaries! I'm not sure how true this is, since many choose to work at the BBC because it is a prestigious broadcaster.

In principle I think transparency is a good thing - but I do think that this decision was foisted upon the BBC by a Government at the behest of the BBCs competitors who loathe the BBC (the Daily Mail, Express etc.)

I think that the publication should start a wider debate about executive pay in the public sector. There are many Chief Executives, finance directors, HR directors who work in the public sector (in the NHS, Local Government, Education) who also earn considerably more than the PM. However they head up organisations where front line staff have been cut, and consequently services to the public have been cut due to squeezes in public expenditure in the last 8 or 9 years.

Of course there are differences between the market for presenters and actors in the media, and public service managers. However when people have seen so many cuts to their services and living standards, should all these executives in the public sector be allowed to be paid huge sums of money? Public service should be about that.

Edited by Mister M

Can't believe Gary Lineker is paid ten times more than Clare Boulding. The comparison between his and her presenting of the Olympics was embarrassing.

Can't believe Gary Lineker is paid ten times more than Clare Boulding. The comparison between his and her presenting of the Olympics was embarrassing.

Yes I'm surprised as she's very good.

I'm surprised Winkleman is employed at all. !
.........I am baffled by Claudia Winkleman! I just don't get it at all, seems a case of "It's not what you know it's.....

.........I am baffled by Claudia Winkleman! I just don't get it at all, seems a case of "It's not what you know it's.....

Good point!

its what??:suspect:

Either "who you know" or "who you're sha**ing" :-)

really?? wow!:roll: and who do the great and the good thinks shes doing??

They are all overpaid in my opinion, but compared to the football player Lionel Messi who "earns" a million quid a week I suppose the beeb staff are value for money they get.

Angel1.

GREED, Pure greed. Thats what it all boils down too.

With it being public money there should be a cap on earnings.

No one should be paid more than £50,000 a year.

The jobs they do have no benefit to the futue existance of the planet, health or security.

All they do is TALK rubbish and TALK more rubbish.

Even they know that they get paid too much money, some didn't want these figures revealed because they are embarrassed for people to know how much they earn.

They should have all their earnings capped and those that don't like it, SACK THEM!!!

Any celebrity who says that they are worth their stated income and who says they should get paid more than a soldier who risks his life for his country.

I would SACK them....

GREED, Pure greed. Thats what it all boils down too.

With it being public money there should be a cap on earnings.

No one should be paid more than £50,000 a year.

The jobs they do have no benefit to the futue existance of the planet, health or security.

All they do is TALK rubbish and TALK more rubbish.

Even they know that they get paid too much money, some didn't want these figures revealed because they are embarrassed for people to know how much they earn.

They should have all their earnings capped and those that don't like it, SACK THEM!!!

Any celebrity who says that they are worth their stated income and who says they should get paid more than a soldier who risks his life for his country.

I would SACK them....

The so called experts just state the obvious,let them go,most would not get a job elsewhere,look at Adrian Chile's and Mrs Lampard,they thought they were bigger than the one show.

.........if there's a cap on public sector pay........why not these? also some of them are earning just as much again away from the Beeb,these aren't the true figures of just how much they do earn!