Woodburn Road School

Hi I'm new to this thread. I left Woodburn Rd school around 1964, and lived on Cottingham St. Anyone remember a teacher called Mrs Ghosh.She always wore a sari. She was our class teacher. My classmates were Cheryl Smith,now in Australia, Vicky Hallas, Linda Gee, Pat Thompson, Marilyn Smith, Ian Hodgson, Paul Peaker, Fred Bates, John Shaw, Stephen Gregg. I know Stephen had a bad car accident when he was about 17, which left him wheelchair bound, but he made a name for himself in the sporting field. John lived in the shop on Wooburn Rd, on the corner with Arras St, and Marilyn lived virtually opposite the shop. Pat Thompson and Ian Hodgson also lived on Woodburn Rd, near to Staniforth Rd. Vicky lived on Ripon St, near to Linda, who lived on Arras St. Paul Peaker lived on Chelmsford St, and I think Fred lived on Ripon St. Where are they all now? -I'd love to know.

I see Stephen Gregg in Morrisons at Hillsborough most weeks, think it must be his mum he goes shopping with. I remember John Shaw, didn't he have some sisters. What number Cottingham Street did you live at, I lived at 141, was born there in 1954 and left in 1966.

Hi cazza77 - did by any chance, Cheryl Smith have a brother called Glen?

Hi Whiteley. You must be Ann. I'm Carol, and lived at 132, in the same yard as Terry Cooper. The entrance was on Worthing Rd. I have a sister Lynn, 5yrs older than me. I lived on Cottingham St from 1953 to 1974, when we went to Australia. When I got married, I moved across the road to 131, next door to Bellamy's fruit shop. John Shaw had 2 sisters I believe, Beverley who was older than him, and a younger one, Angela?. I remember your mum and dad from the Rads. I used to work behind the bar there with my husband John (around 1972/3 time)

In answer to Footiefreak- Yes, Cheryl had a brother called Glenn.

I've remembered some more classmates, Jacqueline Bullivant- lived further down Worthing Rd, below Archers newsagents. Peter Wilson, who I think Jacqueline married, Haydn Wharton (can't remember where he lived), and a girl called Ducker but I can't remember her first name.

Thanks for the reply cazza77 - My brother was best friends with Glen Smith until he went to live abroad. He managed to track him down many years later via the internet I believe. Maybe by friends reunited, I'm not 100% on that though.

Hello Carol, I remember you. I also remember Terry Cooper, didn't he have a younger brother with Downs Syndrome? Have just spoken to my mum and she remembers you as well. You would have lived in the same yard as the Denials when you got married, one of my older brothers John used to knock about with Dennis Denial. They had a sister who also went to live in Australia. I remember the name Jacqueline Bulivant but can't put a face to the name, must be getting old.

Hi Whiteley (Ann). Terry Cooper was the lad with Downs. He was called Terry Walsh, and had an older brother, Danny, and a sister Margaret. His mum was Sally Walsh, then she re-married, and became Cooper. You're right- I lived next door to Grandma + Grandad Denial, and Dennis and Alf and their parents lived two doors down from them. It was Renee Denial who went to Australia. Sadly she died in a car accident- I went to her funeral, as it happened while we were there. Glad to hear Stephen Gregg is OK. When everyone left the area due to the house clearance, everyone seems to have disappeared! I'm hoping the names I've put on here will jog someone's memory.

hello all, i went to woodburn rd school in the late 60's till mid 70's. (born 1964) My name was then cheryl davison, my siblings mark carl and marie also attended. we lived on chelmsford street. i loved my time there and have very happy memories :):) :)

some of the people i remember from my year - wendy wilson, dawn burnand,carole hannah, lesley whiffin,diane pike, karen horsefield, louise caterer, hibberd twins, dawn cook, anne marie birks, andrew wood, adrian timperly, david williams, thera omar - (spelt wrong!) chris creagan, mark harrison, jonathan howard, carl,ian, neil cooper, david town, michelle.. sorry to anyone i cant remember at the moment and have missed out but will remember tomorrrow.. lol. my house was jupiter and my favourite teachers were mrs howarth and the one who took us for netball, cant think of her name!! i would love to hear from anyone who remembers me or my family. my dad jack davison and his brother gordon also went to woodburn along with sisters pearl, shirley and marlene.. do these names stir any memories?? again would love to hear from anyone who knew them at school..xx

hi i went to woodburn road.we left in 1976.my name was marie davison then,i can remember john parker(u used to live near our kerry,nikki craig +brett) we used to live next door 2 brooksy,can any one remember wendy wragg she lived on the other side of us.on chelsmford street,i can remember waggin it wi josie fletcher on the rec,god i must av ony been about 8 at the time,there was andrea murray,maxine parkin,andrew ashton,carl brookes noel palmer,wayne lycett (we used to rent his grandad alberts caravan at beecholmes,,,yes i remember curly haired david hoyland,the duckers.off rippon street i can remember maxine+collette jubb.andy+chris knowels,zanube foreman.just before we moved to halfway in 1976 can any 1 remember mark mussler didnt his dad run off2 the yeman or sumwhere like that.oh the steppin bridge leading to rhubarb island....any1 remember that.i cried for weeks after we moved i just wanted to move back down t cliffe,cheryl can u remember me mother makein us go2 oaks screen wesh house with that old pram full of washing.can i just say no ones mentioned mr anthonys,can anyone remember him,on the corner of woodburn road+staniforth road.oh what memories..ps mark crump u lived opposite donna tina craig+gail lowe,did u have a webbed finger.+did u not knock about wi my little brother carl davison......

In reply to the two above posts - I remember Kerry Davison! I am around the same age as Kerry. I can also remember her brothers and sister and her mum and dad. How are they all?!

To trout3, I know Wendy Wilson (lived in the same yard and still keep in touch with the family) she is doing fine and has just become a nanan for the first time! Anne Birks, Dawn Cook.

To marie g - some of the names you mentioned sound familar, Noel Palmer (just got in touch with his little sister after losing touch for many years!) Wayner Lycett, though I know Jayne more. The Lowes, Crumps etc - remember them well. And Rhubard Island! How could you forget that?! Great times and great memories :-)

Was Mr Anthony's a sweet shop on the corner of Woodbourn Road?

hiya footiefreak.yes mr anthonys was the corner shop on woodbourn road.from wat ive read back on here u off westbury street.we lived 1stly on cottingham street in the yard below trowbridges lorry park .in the yard below was the chevenses,then we moved 2 the next road chelmsford street.can any1 remember going to a factory on the way to wicker called carters,,people who worked there used to chuck us loads of those square fizzy sweets out of the windows...ive read all these posts on here + i could easily be a kid again ahhh the memories,the outside toilets .my kids dont believe me when i tell them we didnt have toilet rolls we had a nail in the back of the toilet door wi squares of newspaper hooked on to use.+the tin bath dont get me goin ha ha

Hi marie g - I lived in the LAST house on Jessell St, just before Broad Oaks and the bridge!

i remember on broad oaks was something to do wi pop was it alpine or sumat like that.i still see the lowes they moved to halfway a few years after us+knocked about wi tina all through school even tho donna is my age.a few people from cliffe moved to the posh side of sheff (lol),can any1 remember darren sharp+his brothers i think they were called alan +wayne.goin back to woobourn school i can remember a lad called jimmy he hardly ever came2 school he was from wybourn.i hate to say this (jimmy if u readin this sorry )had always got dicks,the nit nurse wow where did they go .... i only spoke2 our kerry yesterday.her+family ok