Woodburn Road School

I went to Woodbourn (and Hammerton Rd before) then onto Waltheof. I lived on Jessell Street which ran along side the school. The last house before the big bridge ~ anyone remember the bridge? I left Woodbourn in 1981. Had some great times there. Does anyone remember the school song?

We go to Woodbourn school just up the road

Oh yes, just up the road

It's terribly grimy and terribly old

Oh yes, terribly old

etc. etc. etc.

do you mean stepping bridge

Here is my class school photo taken around 1956 or 1957. Miss Hill was the head mistress and I think the name of the teacher was Miss Smith. I left the school in 1959 so there are only a handful of names that I can recall. Some of you may recognise yourself or maybe your mums and dads - or even grandparents I suppose !! My name then was Susan Watson. I am on the second row, 5th from the left with my hands tucked between my knees. Oh happy days !

SchoolPhoto.jpg

The Headmistress was Miss. Kathleen Alice Hill. I didn't go to Woodburn Road School but Miss. Hill was a friend of my mother. I recall that she lived into her 80's and never married.

Hi

I went to woodburn road too ,my mum and dad lived with my nan at 81 Ripon street till 1960 anyone else from around there

I lived on Chelmsford st and went to woodbourn rd has did my sisters,Wendy, Kay and Lisa.On our side of the st lived the Davisons,Mc veighs and my aunties side Tuckwoods.On the otherside were the Mchales, holmes, Mcerneans,Fletchers.In the early 70s on the rip st rec knocked about with Neil Pickering,Dave Twelvetrees ,David gee, Andy and chris Knowls, Steve Mchale,Roy Canistor,Glaves bros,Gary Crump,Mark Davison,Colin Wright and crew,Stepen Creagan,Straw bros,Duggie Bell,.Anyone remember mucky mary.:hihi:

think ive spoke to you before colin wright is my uncle gary wright was my dad

Hi

I went to woodburn road too ,my mum and dad lived with my nan at 81 Ripon street till 1960 anyone else from around there

I lived at 99 Ripon Street what was your nan amd mum and dad called

think ive spoke to you before colin wright is my uncle gary wright was my dad

I remember Gary Wright, was your Dad is he no longer with us how old would he have been, cant remember if possibly its my older brothers who knew him.

I always remember the dog they had when I was little she was called Queenie, and was always having puppies, I used to go and see them all the time.

Edited by MARY POPPINS

Hi everyone,

I attended Woodbourne Road from 1963 to 1968. Things I remember about school in no particular order of importance; Mrs Gleadall my first teacher in infants. Mrs Hall my last teacher in infants. I wasn't a very good reader and at one parent's evening Mrs Hall asked my mum to help me read at home. My mum told her that school was for reading and home was for playing. Thankfully I caught up on my own. When I was in the juniors I remember a Miss Baron in infants; she took her boxer dog to school sometimes. In juniors I remember listening to the radio for music lessons in the hall, learning my 6 times table, standing on a chair to recite it and earning 6d for getting it right and answering 3 questions correctly. Mind you I never learned passed my 7 times table! Mr Woodcock was my last teacher. I remember Mr Simms giving me the table tennis bat as corporal punishment for daring to go down the 'staff stairs'.

I loved the school dinners which I think cost 5 shillings a week. I remember the sweet shop across the road where I bought my first ever packet of roast chicken flavoured crisps. I remember the houses - Mars Saturn, Venus and Jupitor but not which colours were which.

I'm not so good on names but 7 or 8 come to mind; Carol McVeigh, Gillian ???, a lad named Alan with ginger curly hair, Cheryl Cartwright, Sharon Seaman, sisters Yvonne and Yvette ??? Twins Patsy and Carl ???. I can't remember if we were all in the same class.

We moved at the end of 1968 as part of the slum clearance and I ended up at Jordanthorpe Comp in 1969.

I remember playing on the rec and the circus.

They were the best of times.

Glad this thread came up. I know this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone remember a guy named David Lee (or Leigh). I think he lived near Broad Oaks. He was in his 20's in the early 60's and I think he was a lorry driver.

I remember Gary Wright, was your Dad is he no longer with us how old would he have been, cant remember if possibly its my older brothers who knew him.

I always remember the dog they had when I was little she was called Queenie, and was always having puppies, I used to go and see them all the time.

I remember the Wrights dog, we had one of her pups in 1962. We lived on Cottingham Street

yes gary was my dad died a few yrs ago now he was only 54 think he was the oldest child

Miss Barrons boxer was called Major and when she married she became Mrs Allen she was my favorite teacher and we always kept in touch so much so that she made my beautiful wedding cake in 1982 we still bump in to her from time to time and the last time i saw her which was a while ago she looked excatly the same.

do you mean stepping bridge

yep thats the one :)