Motor mechanic charges £35 per hour is this unreasonable?

If he needed extra parts then there may be travel time to and from the parts shop to figure in too. Really the OP's mate needs to take it up with the mechanic, and then report back here.

if £35 an hour is perfectly reasonable then im gonna become a mechanic

Go on then. And then tell us how rich you are after paying corporation tax, VAT, N.I., Income Tax/Dividend tax, overheads, equipment costs etc. etc.

if £35 an hour is perfectly reasonable then im gonna become a mechanic

havent spoken to my friend for a few days so not sure what the £7.50 was for i know he opted for the luk clutch this time has he had the clutched replaced 3 year ago with a cheaper make and only did 17 thousand miles in 3 years before it was knackered

it was a corsa c 2006 that he has

i had my pads and disks replaced 2 year ago and was charged £40

another friend of mine had a clutch put in a ford transit last year and was charged £120

give me the number of the person who does a clutch on a transit for £120 iv got 3 to do next week ill send them to him,

I presume hes trained has a garage, gives a guarantee and is insured like the rest of us,

I charge £40 per hour, I have had about ten years in training in total but still do not call myself an expert and that's more training than brain surgeon and how much an hour are they on

so £35 is very reasonable

and if you want to earn more money become a builder

Go on then. And then tell us how rich you are after paying corporation tax, VAT, N.I., Income Tax/Dividend tax, overheads, equipment costs etc. etc.

I'll tell you right now that someone charging £35/hr doesn't need to be registered for VAT.

---------- Post added 19-07-2017 at 23:54 ----------

give me the number of the person who does a clutch on a transit for £120 iv got 3 to do next week ill send them to him,

I presume hes trained has a garage, gives a guarantee and is insured like the rest of us,

I charge £40 per hour, I have had about ten years in training in total but still do not call myself an expert and that's more training than brain surgeon and how much an hour are they on

so £35 is very reasonable

and if you want to earn more money become a builder

You should check again on brain surgeons.

text removed as I'm a dufus

Edited by Berberis

It was the first tax he mentioned.

At £35/hr, assuming the mechanic uses a limited company, works 37.5 hrs a week (unlikely I suspect) and 46 weeks a year.

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/free-resources/online-calculators/take-home-pay-calculator

Monthly takehome is about £4000, that's after corporation tax and PAYE/NIC. It doesn't take into account any equipment costs or expenses of actually being a mechanic.

What's a more realistic number of hours worked though? You've got to get jobs booked in, travel between them (unpaid) and so on. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest it's likely to be more like 30 paid hrs a week, that changes it to about £3200/month before the expenses of buying tools, running a van, etc...

The headline figure is about equivalent to someone earning £52000 through PAYE employment.

Edited by Cyclone

I'll tell you right now that someone charging £35/hr doesn't need to be registered for VAT.

The OP didnt say they need to be, it was an assumption. The Mechanic would need to be working over approx 7.5 hours a day at £35 an hour for 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year before they would be required to be VAT registered. Not impossible, but also not probable.

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 10:10 ----------

It was the first tax he mentioned.

so it was .....

Edited by Berberis

I would have thought £35 reasonable for a mobile mechanic .....if you think that is expensive its more like £80 per hour over here and thats in a back street garage ,i charge £30 per hour for cash jobs at home. I suppose everything is relative.

---------- Post added 19-07-2017 at 23:54 ----------

You should check again on brain surgeons.

meanwhile back in the real world!!!! labour is only part of the equation, charging for parts etc comes under turnover so yes at 35 quid an hour he could easily be in the vat threshhold.

Absolutely, but at 30 hrs a week at £35 for 46 weeks a year that leaves £36700 overhead for parts before reaching the compulsory vat registration amount.

The OP didnt say they need to be, it was an assumption. The Mechanic would need to be working over approx 7.5 hours a day at £35 an hour for 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year before they would be required to be VAT registered. Not impossible, but also not probable.

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 10:10 ----------

so it was .....

Are you guys on about me?

He might have registered voluntarily. Anyway who cares? I was just making the point that £35 an hour for someone running their own business with overheads etc. is not massive moolah.

But as usual dome people just find a random little point to pick up on.

Edited by Supertramp
Read the rest of the thread

Absolutely, but at 30 hrs a week at £35 for 46 weeks a year that leaves £36700 overhead for parts before reaching the compulsory vat registration amount.

not many self employed only work 30 hrs or only 46 weeks:roll: more like 60+ hours and 50 weeks, overhead consumables &parts could average £150 per day. well above vat threshold