Sheffield Wednesday feeling the pinch of FFP.

Firstly the two players that you single out.

Ched Evans scored 10 goals in 28 games for Norwich which puts him about on par with your strikers last season considering your leading goalscorers on 12 goals. He had a bad spell with us in the Championship but then again he was in a team that was on a downwards spiral and very much in decline at that point.

Therefore if we are forming opinions on limited periods / individual seasons, does this suggest that your 12 goal strikers are out of their depth? If twelves goals is the bar in which a player is considered to be of "Championship standard" then I consider Ched to be in with a very good chance of achieving that. Leon Clarke isn't going to be a first team player, in fact he may not even be a Sheffield United player yet. If he is however then he is very much fringe, rotational, sub, squad.

You have no real basis to write Ched off though.

In regards to the £1.5m spent on Brayford, was it really silly money in the context of the bigger picture?

The signing came on the back end of a really successful cup run that ended in the semi-finals at Wembley, a cup run in which Brayford as a loan player was a huge part. The prize money and TV rights alone will have pretty much covered a large chunk, if not all of Brayfords fee, therefore you could argue that Brayford was actually a free transfer for us as he was paid for by a brucey bonus cup run.

The fact that Brayford suddenly became a fan favourite helped the club to shift a good bit of merchandise and probably helped put a good few bums on seats as well. Therefore when you consider the whole bigger picture, we signed a player who had impressed quite a bit of loan using free money that was generating from a cup run. Not only was he adequate on the pitch but also he was a fans favourite which made it a good commercial opportunity as well.

It cost us what? Hardly silly money really was it considering the player himself agreed reduced terms to be at the clulb as well which made it all fall into FFP and into place.

Anything else?

And you may find this thread silly but all it does it outline things that your own manager has said, you may not agree with it and it may not match your opinion, however never the less it is still valid and backed up with a factual quotation and actual figures.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 17:17 ----------

Your simple question was answered on one of my posts if you take the time to read them. Another poster asked me and I answered him. No need to be so rude, abrupt and demanding.

You explained about your "crazy spending"comment that's all ...So I'll ask for a fourth time which players have Wednesday spent ridiculous amounts of money on...you said it in your original post ...surely you can remember who you meant...or was it said for effect ..?

Guest sibon
Bramall Lane is owned by Sheffield United PLC along with all other fixed assets therefore very much remains the property of the football club as a whole and hasn't been transferred away from the football club in any way, shape or form. The only difference being that by introducing Sheffield United Leisure (Sheffield United Ltd) they have been able to separate the fixed assets from the footballing side of things.

Contrary to your opinion, this actually makes us a more attractive proposition for potential investors as unless they are willing to buy the club outright, they will never become majority share holders anyway. Having no responsibility for the upkeep of the stadium and other assets means that any investment made will go straight into the footballing side of things.

Money men don't want to be in the Championship because there is no money in it, hence why Mr Chasiri wants that promotion. It isn't about the love for the club in the slightest, it is about the mega bucks associated with being a top flight team.

Any investors in United would be in it for the same reasons. They way McCabe has structured things means that potential investors can concentrate on football, getting promoted and bagging a profit.

If you wish to believe that, go ahead.

The facts remain. The football club owe the McCabe family £100 million. The McCabe family own the ground and lease it to the football club. There is precious little sign of McCabe doing anything other than paying the debt down. I'd be a bit worried about that if I were you. Not whilst Kevin is in charge, but things change quickly sometimes.

Take a look at Bolton and their transfer acquisitions this summer. United haven't even competed with a club that almost went bust.

I think that it is fair to assume that United won't be breaching FFP in the near future.

It is a tangled web that McCabe has woven. It is however very true that Sheffield United Football Club Limited, co-owned by McCabe and The Prince, do not own the ground.

That might explain why United are finding it a teeny bit difficult to get investment.

So our magnificent historical rust bucket is in fact the only ground in Sheffield actually owned by the club that plays there .:hihi:

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 07:21 ----------

Bramall Lane is owned by Sheffield United PLC along with all other fixed assets therefore very much remains the property of the football club as a whole and hasn't been transferred away from the football club in any way, shape or form. The only difference being that by introducing Sheffield United Leisure (Sheffield United Ltd) they have been able to separate the fixed assets from the footballing side of things.

Contrary to your opinion, this actually makes us a more attractive proposition for potential investors as unless they are willing to buy the club outright, they will never become majority share holders anyway. Having no responsibility for the upkeep of the stadium and other assets means that any investment made will go straight into the footballing side of things.

Money men don't want to be in the Championship because there is no money in it, hence why Mr Chasiri wants that promotion. It isn't about the love for the club in the slightest, it is about the mega bucks associated with being a top flight team.

Any investors in United would be in it for the same reasons. They way McCabe has structured things means that potential investors can concentrate on football, getting promoted and bagging a profit.

Mr Chansiri can be seen outside the directors entrance on any Saturday home game where he is happy to pass the time of day and shake hands with any supporter passing by .

I have been going to Hillsbro for 60 odd years and apart from the lad who lived on Parsons Cross he is the only chairman that actually mixes with the fans .

Megga bucks he has invested , no hotels , office blocks or apartments in his itinerary just the football club.

Lick that;)

Its a simple question,which i'll ask you for a second time,...which players have Wednesday spent,in your words,ridiculous amounts on.. ?

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 15:47 ----------

Just to clarify..he didn't refuse to take a penalty,he said he didnt feel confident in taking one...but would if the manager insisted..

But don't let the truth get in the way of point scoring eh..?..:thumbsup:

Just to clarify, Rhodes bottled it ! most Wednesday fand would agree.

Just like Mathews bottled it for United when Givens went on and missed !! i as many would not out a player for missing a penalty , thats lfe it happens...but refusing to take one ! a leading player, a £10m player not feeling confident !! YOUR HAVING A LAUGH.

Just like Mathews bottled it for United when Givens went on and missed !! i as many would not out a player for missing a penalty , thats lfe it happens...but refusing to take one ! a leading player, a £10m player not feeling confident !! YOUR HAVING A LAUGH.

He wasn't bought for £10m for a start, the most confident five players on the night took the penalties, move on.

Firstly I feel you may have me confused with somebody else old chap.

In regards to the two signings, I feel that Boyd is genuinely a good acquisition and definitely addresses an area which appeared weak in the play-offs. In regards to Rhodes I think the jury is well and truly still out because he's not banging them in, although I believe that owls fans now state that he isn't about goals. I have seen the facts and statistics surrounding results whilst he was on the pitch however strikers are generally measured by goals.

As for the pond that we are fishing in, I well and truly hope that it remains an exclusive pond because I am witnessing some of the best football that I have seen from a United team in some time. The football played against Malaga the other night was absolutely fantastic and just follows on from the fantastic football of last season.

It seems we have this ever going debate about the supposed gulf in quality between the Championship and League One however there are fundamentally no figures to back up this statement. In fact the only real difference being that mediocre Championship players now cost three times as much as they did when we last played football in that division, hence Chris Wilder's "savvy" change in recruitment direction. All of the other pitch based statistics on paper remain exactly the same.

We understand the challenge ahead however we are equipping ourselves for it nicely. Our core target this year is to secure and cement ourselves as a Championship team, this in turn will allow us to generate further revenue to become a more competitive team in that division. Of course we could go down the "sponsor everything possible" style that Mr Chasiri has adopted in order to try and buy a bit of success however this doesn't come without risk and in the immediate future isn't on our agenda.

There are very good footballing templates to follow, for instance Huddersfield. All it takes is a new manager with a refreshing change in direction. He was able to construct a team on a relatively shoe string budget in comparison to the likes of you guys and the rest of the promotion chasing mob. By signing players from the German and British leagues and the complimenting these players with loan moves for young, top flight academy players, he was able to keep himself and his team out of the radar. And well let's face it the rest is history.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 14:52 ----------

A lot spoken about Wilder's "savvy approach, did United not have one of the best budgets in the division, more than enough to get promoted ? The players aren't just playing because they're passionate, they're well paid, as are Wednesday's players, but it's all relative. At a guess I'd say United were paying top end league 1 wages and Wednesday top end Championship wages, its all relative.

As for Rhodes, 10m is the going rate for someone with his record, just thinking of players like McCormack, the Brentford striker, The Bristol striker (Kodija ?).

Whether we needed him is another matter, definitely didn't play to his strengths, he didn't score many hence he wasn't confident enough to take the play off penalty. If we create I think he'll score, but that's up to Carlos

Firstly I feel you may have me confused with somebody else old chap.

In regards to the two signings, I feel that Boyd is genuinely a good acquisition and definitely addresses an area which appeared weak in the play-offs. In regards to Rhodes I think the jury is well and truly still out because he's not banging them in, although I believe that owls fans now state that he isn't about goals. I have seen the facts and statistics surrounding results whilst he was on the pitch however strikers are generally measured by goals.

As for the pond that we are fishing in, I well and truly hope that it remains an exclusive pond because I am witnessing some of the best football that I have seen from a United team in some time. The football played against Malaga the other night was absolutely fantastic and just follows on from the fantastic football of last season.

It seems we have this ever going debate about the supposed gulf in quality between the Championship and League One however there are fundamentally no figures to back up this statement. In fact the only real difference being that mediocre Championship players now cost three times as much as they did when we last played football in that division, hence Chris Wilder's "savvy" change in recruitment direction. All of the other pitch based statistics on paper remain exactly the same.

We understand the challenge ahead however we are equipping ourselves for it nicely. Our core target this year is to secure and cement ourselves as a Championship team, this in turn will allow us to generate further revenue to become a more competitive team in that division. Of course we could go down the "sponsor everything possible" style that Mr Chasiri has adopted in order to try and buy a bit of success however this doesn't come without risk and in the immediate future isn't on our agenda.

There are very good footballing templates to follow, for instance Huddersfield. All it takes is a new manager with a refreshing change in direction. He was able to construct a team on a relatively shoe string budget in comparison to the likes of you guys and the rest of the promotion chasing mob. By signing players from the German and British leagues and the complimenting these players with loan moves for young, top flight academy players, he was able to keep himself and his team out of the radar. And well let's face it the rest is history.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 14:52 ----------

A lot spoken about Wilder's "savvy approach, did United not have one of the best budgets in the division, more than enough to get promoted ? The players aren't just playing because they're passionate, they're well paid, as are Wednesday's players, but it's all relative. At a guess I'd say United were paying top end league 1 wages and Wednesday top end Championship wages, its all relative.

As for Rhodes, 10m is the going rate for someone with his record, just thinking of players like McCormack, the Brentford striker, The Bristol striker (Kodija ?).

Whether we needed him is another matter, definitely didn't play to his strengths, he didn't score many hence he wasn't confident enough to take the play off penalty. If we create I think he'll score, but that's up to Carlos

Good post mate and pretty much sums it up.

If you wish to believe that, go ahead.

The facts remain. The football club owe the McCabe family £100 million. The McCabe family own the ground and lease it to the football club. There is precious little sign of McCabe doing anything other than paying the debt down. I'd be a bit worried about that if I were you. Not whilst Kevin is in charge, but things change quickly sometimes.

Take a look at Bolton and their transfer acquisitions this summer. United haven't even competed with a club that almost went bust.

I think that it is fair to assume that United won't be breaching FFP in the near future.

Bolton?,you're having a giraffe aren't you?:hihi:

McCabe gets his money when he sells up,just like any other football club owner.If he can't get the offer he wants he loses the money,just like any other owner re the 'how to make a small fortune in football' joke.

Edited by chalga

:hihi:

Good post mate and pretty much sums it up. ;)

:hihi:

Good post mate and pretty much sums it up. ;)

Another post on Rhodes, you really do have a problem. It sums it up wrongly as he didn't cost £10m.

Another post on Rhodes, you really do have a problem. It sums it up wrongly as he didn't cost £10m.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You really don't do humour do you? :D

But thanks for giving everyone else a giggle anyway! :P

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You really don't do humour do you? :D

But thanks for giving everyone else a giggle anyway! :P

Oh so your obssession was a joke now, ok.:help: