Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

Although the 95 is allegedly running to Tinker Lane, so maybe it's just the section from Bolehill Rd to Greenhow? And it doesn't help that Google Maps has been showing the whole section from Ripley St bottom to Greenhow as closed for the past couple of days, when it patently hasn't been.

First's website now confirming that the 95 will only run to Crookes Valley Road and back.

Guest makapaka
I suspect that it was the intention for every road to be resurfaced as was trumpeted loudly by both parties at the start, and now that Amey wish to save some money they are expanding the use of a technique that was in the contract but which wasn't on the schedule to be used extensively, perhaps only as an ongoing maintenance technique after all the roads were resurfaced.

Much like with the trees, the council find themselves powerless to do anything because of the badly drawn up contract.

That's my suspicion.

---------- Post added 07-09-2018 at 07:33 ----------

It quite clearly has milestones for resurfacing going out to 5 years and terminating at 100% at the 5 year milestone.

Sorry I don’t agree - what would be the point of fully resurfacing Derek Dooley way for example?

Could you imagine the outcry - “blooming council wasting our money for amey to make more profits!”

My recollection is that Amey were contracted to resurface about 70% of streets in the initial 5 year period - i.e. the ones that needed it.

Guest makapaka
My recollection is that Amey were contracted to resurface about 70% of streets in the initial 5 year period - i.e. the ones that needed it.

That was my understanding also Dave - as I said above - what would be the point of planing off new tarmac and replacing it on recently constructed/resurfaced roads.

Or on new housing estates etc.

Or on relatively decent roads you might use microsurfacing to provide some surface treatment where full re-surfacing wasn't necessary?

Or on relatively decent roads you might use microsurfacing to provide some surface treatment where full re-surfacing wasn't necessary?

But they recently proposed to use microsurfacing on Albany road, which is in terrible condition - the usual patchwork of repair patches overlaying other patches etc. This seems to be a new development.

They fully resurfaced the road outside my house and there was nowt wrong with it, not a single pot-hole ever cos it was just a cul-de-sac.

Either it was cheaper to fully-resurface as all the other streets were getting it, or they just didn't check??

Guest makapaka
But they recently proposed to use microsurfacing on Albany road, which is in terrible condition - the usual patchwork of repair patches overlaying other patches etc. This seems to be a new development.

Which sounds wrong obviously - I'm not trying to argue they should be carrying out unsuitable / inappropriate repair works.

From what I can make out, the closest that 52/52a gets passengers to Crookes will be the stop by Crookesmoor Rd. After that, they run light up Lydgate to turn at Crosspool. Then, presumably, the first pick-up going back into town will be the stop after the Grindstone? Anyone living at the top end of Crookes is going to have a bit of an uphill plod...

I'm still unclear about which road sections around Walkley will be closed and when; but I thought next week will be from South Rd to Greenhow, hence the lack of any turning area for the 52 after the Grindstone. Although the 95 is allegedly running to Tinker Lane, so maybe it's just the section from Bolehill Rd to Greenhow? And it doesn't help that Google Maps has been showing the whole section from Ripley St bottom to Greenhow as closed for the past couple of days, when it patently hasn't been.

Details of diversions on 31, 31a, 52, 52a and 95 can be found at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx?id=104

52 and 52a now have a temporary out of city last stop further up from Crookesmoor Road at the Grindstone.

Does anyone know who has been resurfacing the section of the A6135 between Ecclesfield and Chapeltown over the past couple of nights?

It is one of the best roads in the north of the city and they are cold planing a perfectly good road surface and relaying it. Meanwhile the stretch of Wordsworth between Asda and the High Street is an absolute disgrace and is actually dangerous in the parts where the surface is being lifted by tree roots! :suspect:

The quality of resurfacing is declining,went on Morton place grenoside its the poorest I've seen so far.