Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

So it comes back to a badly put together contract. It should be irrelevant how much Amey have spent, they signed up to a contract to resurface ALL the roads and then maintain them (resurface in 5 years, already missed this target massively) and maintain for another 20.

There shouldn't be any option for them to decide not to bother with the 1st and key point of the contract.

throughout the process of replacing the road surface outside my home i kept having a quick look through my window. i saw them remove the old and then replace with new. it appeared they did a reasonable job of it but within a few months it had already appeared to have begun to be washed away by the rain.

i phoned SCC and someone came and refilled the larger potholes that is now also being eroded

i do hope that the contract withthe council is worded correctly

it is customary in law to expect work to be carried out in a workman like manner

i can only hope that the workman in question is not an employee of amey

I went up Walkley Lane yesterday, the resurfaced section at the bottom (Ripley Street) is still not flat, you can feel the undulations where the surface below had sunk, they seem to have just smoothed some new tarmac over the top.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't slump again within a few years, they haven't dug it out or done any true remedial work on it.

If it's the sewer / mains collapsing it will be the responsibility of Yorkshire Water to make good the true remedial work. Took at least 4 floods over the space of 2 years (and donkeys years of an undulating service) before YW fixed Commonside. Montgomery Terrace Road by Tesco's is another example where an appalling surface is most likely due to collapsing sewer / mains.

So it comes back to a badly put together contract. It should be irrelevant how much Amey have spent, they signed up to a contract to resurface ALL the roads and then maintain them (resurface in 5 years, already missed this target massively) and maintain for another 20.

There shouldn't be any option for them to decide not to bother with the 1st and key point of the contract.

But they didn't sign up to a contract to resurface all the roads in the first 5 years.

According to the streets ahead site some roads now won't be properly re-surfaced they will get what they are calling "micro-treatment"

It's that totally crap job where they just smear a thing layer of tarmac ontop of the existing surface and leave loose stones on it for several weeks.

The city was supposed to have all new roads, these bodge-jobs don't belong on a deserted country lane, the end result is absolutely shocking!!

I think this what Amey are proposing in those situations

But they didn't sign up to a contract to resurface all the roads in the first 5 years.

That's certainly how it was reported in the media at the time.

Working with Sheffield City Council, the Streets Ahead contract is a huge city-wide 25 year highway maintenance project that will see Sheffield’s roads transformed from some of the worst in the country to the best in the country within the first five years (2012 – 2017). We will then maintain the infrastructure at its improved standard for the remaining 20 years of the contract.

The clear implication of that is the improvement to the new standard will be complete by 2017 (August I think it was), and then only ongoing maintenance will be required for 20 years. It's now September 2018 and resurfacing hasn't been completed and they are apparently reneging on actually doing some of it.

---------- Post added 06-09-2018 at 09:25 ----------

The BBC reports numerous times

Amey is due to resurface all Sheffield's roads by 2020

It's been quoted numerous times on the forum as well, going back to 2016.

Yours is the first time I've seen that questioned. Of course the entire contract hasn't been released so it's very difficult for anyone to check.

Guest makapaka

If you go on the Scc streets ahead webpage and into the contract section schedule 43 lists a number of different surface treatments of which microsurfacing is one.

---------- Post added 06-09-2018 at 10:09 ----------

According to the streets ahead site some roads now won't be properly re-surfaced they will get what they are calling "micro-treatment"

It's that totally crap job where they just smear a thing layer of tarmac ontop of the existing surface and leave loose stones on it for several weeks.

The city was supposed to have all new roads, these bodge-jobs don't belong on a deserted country lane, the end result is absolutely shocking!!

See above.

If you go on the Scc streets ahead webpage and into the contract section schedule 43 lists a number of different surface treatments of which microsurfacing is one.

I'm fairly sure the microsurfacing section is a recent addition, I've been to the site a few times before but only just recently seen this mentioned.

The site has been redesigned since the works started as the map of planned works used to be alot easier to read.

Guest makapaka
I'm fairly sure the microsurfacing section is a recent addition, I've been to the site a few times before but only just recently seen this mentioned.

The site has been redesigned since the works started as the map of planned works used to be alot easier to read.

It's in Schedule 43 of the Contract Documents as I said previously - you can have a look on their website anyone can access it.

It's in Schedule 43 of the Contract Documents as I said previously - you can have a look on their website anyone can access it.

This one??

It's heavily redacted and would appear to have been written in the last few months.

That schedule literally tells us nothing.

---------- Post added 06-09-2018 at 10:47 ----------

This schedule seems to say otherwise

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/roads-and-pavements/streetsahead/Schedule%2035,%20Milestones%20Full%20Disclosure%202018.pdf

This one??

It's heavily redacted and would appear to have been written in the last few months.

...and hilariously they've spelt 'course' wrong throughout.

From that document, I can deduce that we had a T6 and T12 road and pavement resurfacing on our street. I guess that's all they can do on previously cobbled streets.