Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

It's about time that the so called TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT was sorted out you get to the roadworks and that's were you see the first DIVERSION SIGN its rubbish

It's about time that the so called TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT was sorted out you get to the roadworks and that's were you see the first DIVERSION SIGN its rubbish

which sign where?

Surely before the roadworks a diversion sign would be pointless as you'd be travelling the way you were already travelling as you've not reached the roadworks...

The road I live on in Oughtibridge was done in 2014 for the tour de France. It now needs doing again in parts. Amey are a joke of a company.

The road I live on in Oughtibridge was done in 2014 for the tour de France. It now needs doing again in parts. Amey are a joke of a company.

You're a bit quick to condemn Amey.

The surfacing work was done by sub contractors. Any faults which appear could be down to poor workmanship / methods of the sub-contractor or could be due to faulty materials supplied to them. There could be other reasons too.

Amey have resurfaced hundreds of miles of roads and the amount which has subsequently suffered problems equates to a very tiny percentage of the overall distance surfaced.

Maintaining roads isn't like making a swiss watch in a controlled environment. It doesn't go right absolutely all the time. There are always going to be a small percentage of failures due to the number of factors which are in play.

I suspect that no-one on here is an expert in analysing why tarmac surfaces fail, so perhaps we should not be so quick to jump to conclusions which are unsupported.

You're a bit quick to condemn Amey.

The surfacing work was done by sub contractors. Any faults which appear could be down to poor workmanship / methods of the sub-contractor or could be due to faulty materials supplied to them. There could be other reasons too.

Amey have resurfaced hundreds of miles of roads and the amount which has subsequently suffered problems equates to a very tiny percentage of the overall distance surfaced.

Maintaining roads isn't like making a swiss watch in a controlled environment. It doesn't go right absolutely all the time. There are always going to be a small percentage of failures due to the number of factors which are in play.

I suspect that no-one on here is an expert in analysing why tarmac surfaces fail, so perhaps we should not be so quick to jump to conclusions which are unsupported.

Amey are making enough money from fleecing our council and others up and down the country, they have plenty of experience so if they are engaging inept subcontractors then it's their fault.

Amey are making enough money from fleecing our council and others up and down the country, they have plenty of experience so if they are engaging inept subcontractors then it's their fault.

Companies exist to make a profit, so you can hardly blame them for that.

The best contractor in the world can still produce faulty results if the materials that are delivered to them aren't right or the specification they have been given to work to is not appropriate.

The facts are that there have only been a very tiny percentage of failures and no-one knows definitively why those have occurred. With highway resurfacing operations, there is always potential for something to go wrong.

Amey are of course responsible for delivering the service to the required standard, so they will have to get the problems fixed, at their expense if necessary. As far as I can see they are doing this and faulty sections are being resurfaced.

There's were nothing wrong with Jawbone, why they had to dig it all up to replace it I'll never know and when you think of the state of some of the side roads in Sheffield it just doesn't make sense.

..........Amey are of course responsible for delivering the service to the required standard, so they will have to get the problems fixed, at their expense if necessary. As far as I can see they are doing this and faulty sections are being resurfaced.

they are going to re-do all the roads they have done so far..... are you sure?

its a massive job creation scheme .... i wonder who's paying for it all

they are going to re-do all the roads they have done so far..... are you sure?

Who said Amey are redoing all the roads they've done?

They have to put right any defects. That is a contractual obligation.

---------- Post added 07-11-2018 at 15:25 ----------

its a massive job creation scheme .... i wonder who's paying for it all

What exactly do you mean by that?

Amey, as contractor are responsible for putting right identified defects. Their sub contractors who did the works may end up paying for it if the defects are due to something which is their responsibility.

They have just re-surfaced stretches of Ecclesfield Road which had previously been done and appeared (to an untrained eye) to be perfectly fine. Why might this be Planner1?

They have just re-surfaced stretches of Ecclesfield Road which had previously been done and appeared (to an untrained eye) to be perfectly fine. Why might this be Planner1?

Could be any number of reasons. The materials used might have been faulty.

The condition of the roads is checked regularly using various survey techniques including using special vehicles for example see: https://www.wdm.co.uk/equipment/road-assessment-vehicle-rav/ The survey results are used to schedule maintenance work. A survey might have shown up a problem on the road in question.