Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

Hmmm, let me hazard a guess and say that those making the "stop moaning" type posts don't actually live in the vicinity and aren't affected.

I live about a mile away. The lifting of the bus gate at the corner meant I had many more cars to cycle past on the way home yesterday!

But by closing the whole stretch for the week they're preventing everyone on the 12 roads above from using their cars for the whole time during the day.

But they haven't done that. The bottom bit was closed off yesterday but there were still cars using the top bit. Just because the sign said "Road Closed" didn't mean that people couldn't access Bessingby, Lonsdale etc.

As I got home tonight at four there were still cars travelling down from Walkley.

Do it 7am -7pm - moan

Do it 7pm - 7am - moan

Don't do it at all - moan.....

Exactly so.

There are far too many folk on here who have far too much time on their hands so all they do is moan, and moan, and moan some more.

It's not forever - just a few days of inconvenience.:rolleyes:

---------- Post added 29-08-2018 at 18:28 ----------

Hmmm, let me hazard a guess and say that those making the "stop moaning" type posts don't actually live in the vicinity and aren't affected.

Point being, the way Amey is doing it is causing needless and avoidable disruption for a large number of residents. They don't need to close off the whole stretch of road for the week as they are doing. They could do the Ripley Street to Walkley Lane section one day and keep the rest open - minimal disruption and residents have access to alternate routes. Then the next section up - minimal disruption. Then the next - minimal disruption. Or do the work overnight as they did initially - no disruption at all during peak times. But by closing the whole stretch for the week they're preventing everyone on the 12 roads above from using their cars for the whole time during the day.

But I guess that like some posters on here they don't do things like actually thinking before acting...

Mmmh - I think that everyone who lives in Sheffield has been, is being or will be inconvenienced by the road resurfacing. Walkley and Crookes have a few days of inconvenience and the world is ending !

Exactly so.

There are far too many folk on here who have far too much time on their hands so all they do is moan, and moan, and moan some more.

It's not forever - just a few days of inconvenience.

But...it's a few days of inconvenience that nobody needed to have if AMEY HAD DONE A PROPER JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF A HALF ARSED ONE

But...it's a few days of inconvenience that nobody needed to have if AMEY HAD DONE A PROPER JOB IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF A HALF ARSED ONE

Absolutely correct taxman. No way should a road surface have 'dropped' the way it had. All the way from the first few metres of Ripley Street all the way up to just before South Road. Have you seen the 'test sample bore holes' they have done on the sunken parts? I'd love to know what the final conclusion was of these.

Article in the Star tonight about Amey , apparently they are reassessing the state of the roads to be resurfaced and deferring resurfacing them . Apparently one road is to be done but only half of it . Sounds like someone is short on money and scrimping on the contract given to them by our esteemed leaders :(

Absolutely correct taxman. No way should a road surface have 'dropped' the way it had. All the way from the first few metres of Ripley Street all the way up to just before South Road. Have you seen the 'test sample bore holes' they have done on the sunken parts? I'd love to know what the final conclusion was of these.

More than likely a collapsed sewer like on Commonside a couple of years ago.

I went up Walkley Lane yesterday, the resurfaced section at the bottom (Ripley Street) is still not flat, you can feel the undulations where the surface below had sunk, they seem to have just smoothed some new tarmac over the top.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't slump again within a few years, they haven't dug it out or done any true remedial work on it.

I went up Walkley Lane yesterday, the resurfaced section at the bottom (Ripley Street) is still not flat, you can feel the undulations where the surface below had sunk, they seem to have just smoothed some new tarmac over the top.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't slump again within a few years, they haven't dug it out or done any true remedial work on it.

It's so frustrating, we have been inconvenienced twice now and they will probably back again in a couple of years :( I have also been told that the 95 will be turning round at the Pondarosa from 13th- 17th September:mad:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214718030122128&set=gm.1868644036522942&type=3&ifg=1

According to the streets ahead site some roads now won't be properly re-surfaced they will get what they are calling "micro-treatment"

It's that totally crap job where they just smear a thing layer of tarmac ontop of the existing surface and leave loose stones on it for several weeks.

The city was supposed to have all new roads, these bodge-jobs don't belong on a deserted country lane, the end result is absolutely shocking!!

And presumably again the council won't do anything about this.

And presumably again the council won't do anything about this.

Well I presume they've approved this approach, obviously it's a much cheaper solution which suggests the project has blown through it's budget and they're scrambling to finish it all off.

Worse still some of the more major roads are left to do, so you can only imagine what sort of hatchet job will be done on those if the money has run dry.