Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

Heard a representative of Amey on the radio the other day,he was bragging they had done over 350 miles of road resurfacing in Sheffield.I got to wondering where this has been done,I can't think of 35 miles,let alone 350,Whatever part of Sheffield I travel to I have to avoid potholes so I wonder if other Forum readers have any ideas.I do however see plenty of pavement work being done especially where nobody ever walks(eg on the Bithums).

A lot done around the town centre and as said for the TDF, why not actually find out from Amey or the highways department if you dont believe them?

Theres a streets ahead map here where you cna see the roads they have worked on as well as those they intend to.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/schemes/streetsaheadproject/works-schedules/works-map.html

Where I live loads have been done, although not all to a good standard!!

The roads around the area i live have been sorted out and are lovely and smooth to drive over !

Wait till the hard frosts come and they start cracking up :hihi:

Down my neck of the woods in the South-West, Low Edges has been done, Greenhill and Dore will be done next year, but Totley and Bradway have to wait until 2017.

Half way through a 5 year scheme it's very likely some people's regular routes will now have been done, while others haven't.

I share concerns about the quality of the job and what will happen after the 5 year programme is complete when we're into the remainder of the 25 year contract. I doubt the surfaces I've seen, roads or pavements, will survive for more than 10 years, let alone 20+. But that's a problem for the next generation.

Has anyone had their car towed away by ignoring the parking restrictions put in place whilst these works are carried out?

Our road is schedulelled for next year (if amey haven't gone bust by then)

The question has to be asked...and probably has been....but how/why did the Sheffield roads end up in such a state in the first place?

I had the misfortune to visit the city recently, and on leaving the M1 ....words can't describe ....the roads are just a patchwork quilt of badly infilled ..holes!

Other cities are not like that.

The question has to be asked...and probably has been....but how/why did the Sheffield roads end up in such a state in the first place?

I had the misfortune to visit the city recently, and on leaving the M1 ....words can't describe ....the roads are just a patchwork quilt of badly infilled ..holes!

Other cities are not like that.

Yes they are, I regularly drive around Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham and every city is exactly the same.

Chronic under investment over the last 30 years, but also 5 times more vehicles using the roads.

The roads in Stocksbridge / Deepcar were due to be done this month but there was an announcement in the local paper saying the work had been postponed until Spring 2016 due to the weather.

They're still doing random sections of the pavement though and although this work was scheduled to be done during the day they were jack-hammering until midnight last week.

On our daily commute from town, through Middlewood and up to Stocksbridge is becoming increasingly painful with the state of the roads. I dread to think what they'll be like after this coming winter.

The good news is that anyone wanting to drive all the way up to the end of the road at Redmires Dam can now do so on a perfectly smooth road, instead of the dirt track it used to be, and which constitutes a great proportion of the alleged 350 miles, I guess. Great news for those who want to walk the shortest distance possible to Stanedge Pole. Maybe a councillor lives at the big house at the end there?

Meanwhile, you still are best to use a Moon Buggy for traversing Crookes, mine, seen here parked outside the newsagent's.