Public sector pay

You can look at that another way, it depends on your bias, public sector workers tend not to have the bonuses for overtime that they have in the private sector.

When I worked in the private sector for someone else I never got bonuses for overtime. Ever. I don't know anyone who does!

When I worked in the private sector for someone else I never got bonuses for overtime. Ever. I don't know anyone who does!

You were lucky to get overtime.

Guest sibon
Just being nosey, how have you voted with your feet? Left the public sector?

That's pretty much it.

I'm one of many secondary teachers who have decided that enough is enough. In my case, I quit a well promoted post in a fantastic school, for a few reasons. The main ones were the crazy expectations placed upon me, which resulted in a huge workload, and a take home pay cut of about 5% forced on me by Government policy.

That pay cut was an actual pay cut, by the way, not some wishy washy "real terms" thing. My pay went down by 5% between 2010 and 2013.

Anyway, I'm using my skills in a different way now, working freelance. It is fantastic. If you fancy a round of golf on Friday afternoon, let me know, we can write it off to expenses:)

Edited by sibon

I get double time for overtime where I work. Private sector. Nice earner.

That's pretty much it.

I'm one of many secondary teachers who have decided that enough is enough. In my case, I quit a well promoted post in a fantastic school, for a few reasons. The main ones were the crazy expectations placed upon me, which reulted in a huge workload, and a take home pay cut of about 5% forced on me by Government policy.

That pay cut was an actual pay cut, by the way, not some wishy washy "real terms" thing. My pay went down by 5% between 2010 and 2013.

Anyway, I'm using my skills in a different way now, working freelance. It is fantastic. If you fancy a round of golf on Friday afternoon, let me know, we can write it off to expenses:)

Friday afternoon I'll be sat on a motorway somewhere, forced to listen Simon Mayos all request Friday where they contact every middle class person with a phone who is doing something "exciting" but still request the same sodding records.

And I don't play golf - it's the trousers that put me off ;)

I think if you do a job you like, it doesn't matter if it's public sector or private. Ditto if you hate it.

I'm one of many secondary teachers who have decided that enough is enough. In my case, I quit a well promoted post in a fantastic school, for a few reasons.

Did you get double time when you worked extra hours?

Guest sibon
Did you get double time when you worked extra hours?

I didn't work set hours. As I'm sure that you know, you just get on with stuff and finish when the job is done.

My working week varied throughout the year, I'd guess that it averaged out at about 55 hours a week.

---------- Post added 18-07-2017 at 19:06 ----------

I think if you do a job you like, it doesn't matter if it's public sector or private. Ditto if you hate it.

I loved the job.

I just hated all of the idiots giving me irrelevant stuff to do in addition to the important stuff.

Just join the majority of the public in supporting our public sector workers in their fight for fair pay.

Do you have a figure for this majority?

Maybe some stats to back up your claim.

Always suspicious of anecdotal evidence.

Do you have a figure for this majority?

Maybe some stats to back up your claim.

Always suspicious of anecdotal evidence.

Of course

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/public-sector-pay-cap-lift-pay-tax-theresa-may-1-per-cent-nurse-paramedic-police-a7843006.html%3Famp