Public sector pay

It looks like some public sector pay caps may be lifted soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41218283

I think Theresa May is hoping her top offer of 1% + 1% for the Police will mean the lesser public sector will keep below 2%.

Which means they will receive around 1% below inflation; which is wrong, on top of the 7 years of pay control by the Government.

I thought the Conservatives believed in free trade, of goods, services and jobs?

I thought the Conservatives believed in free trade, of goods, services and jobs?
They do: public service workers are free to vote with their feet and move to the private sector for better pay (LOL!)

You might have forgotten that the Conservatives also believe in small government, which means less public services (and associated jobs).

A lot of people on here are thinking about this the wrong way. The public sector is NOT well remunerated at all. It is the private sector that is generally very poor. Instead of hammering the public sector down to the lowest common denominator, we should be dragging the private sector up and beyond. I am working in the private sector that is rediculously well paid and grateful for it. I want to see everyone dragged upwards and absolutely not surpressed. Just because you might be suffering, why do you want everyone else to suffer with you?

They do: public service workers are free to vote with their feet and move to the private sector for better pay (LOL!)

You might have forgotten that the Conservatives also believe in small government, which means less public services (and associated jobs).

In 2013 Somerset council paid £5.9m to settle a contract dispute with the outsourcing partnership, Southwest One.

All council service can be done by private companies if the council receive a competitive bid. But many council services are run by council staff, because it works out cheaper. Councils are not refusing bids for their services, private companies dont want the work, because they cannot do it cheaper.

In 2013 Somerset council paid £5.9m to settle a contract dispute with the outsourcing partnership, Southwest One.

All council service can be done by private companies if the council receive a competitive bid. But many council services are run by council staff, because it works out cheaper. Councils are not refusing bids for their services, private companies dont want the work, because they cannot do it cheaper.

I'm sorry I don't quite follow your logic or point in the above.

Public service falling 'prey' to termination clauses (or breach situations) in contracts with private sector suppliers is nothing new whatsoever. That's because those negotiating contracts on behalf of public bodies and/or those public sector workers administering their performance (and compliance therewith) are rarely competent enough to do so.

That's not a veiled criticism of the public sector itself, or a free dig, it's just common(-sensical) knowledge, validated as it is by my own experience at the coal face.

Nothing to do with Conservatives or Labour or <insert political party here>, that's routinely down to local and national skills shortage and the job market (those competent types in that context are already in, or soon snapped up by, the private sector).

If you want world class OK, maybe not that, but knowledgeable and diligent-enough Council/etc. public service employees handling highly complex tasks like supply contract negotiation and management (what is more, in very widely-ranging types of services, from healthcare to building to <...>), you have to hire at the right level, train to the right level, and pay the going market rate (i.e. not pay scales).

Anything short of that, and that's just inviting trouble down the road. As many public service bodies have long found to their (needlessly inflated-) cost.

That's because those negotiating contracts on behalf of public bodies and/or those public sector workers administering their performance (and compliance therewith) are rarely competent enough to do so.

Yes, I agree.

I work in school transport; where there is a mix of taxi car and minibuses and council minibuses.

I believe council minibuses, fully kitted out, cost more than £70k. Private minibuses struggle to give a good service, council buses cost more, because they want a high standard.

If they cannot get enough staff, they should increase pay by 20%, if required. Isnt that how every workplace should work? Perhaps everything is too centralised?
Where's Hammond supposed to get the money for a 20% pay rise for 1m FTE NHS employees?

The markets? :twisted:

Where's Hammond supposed to get the money for a 20% pay rise for 1m FTE NHS employees?

This pay rise is no different from any other years pay rise. The Conservative are doing well at managing this, any job needs the correct remuneration.

He could always ask Saint Jeremy to give him some from the Labour money tree.