Gas meter started beeping once every 60 seconds.

Hi, I'm just wondering who's responsible for fixing the gas meter. It is beeping every 60 seconds like a short high pitch sound. It is not a credit issue as I have plenty. Just need to know if it's the supplier or the landlord I contact. It's very annoying, could it be a battery?, it is an old meter. Cheers.

edit - it's only a short single beep every minute.

Edited by I and I

Supplier, meters are owned by and looked after by suppliers.

I would hazard a guess it's the battery that needs replacing, your supplier does this. 2 minute job.

my smoke alarm beeps every couple of mins , when it needs a new battery.

Supplier, meters are owned by and looked after by suppliers.

Not all.

There are such things as sub-meters, for landlords to share out the bill.

Not all.

There are such things as sub-meters, for landlords to share out the bill.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks, presumably this is (mainly) for multiple occupancy builds and apartment blocks?

Wasn't aware of that, thanks, presumably this is (mainly) for multiple occupancy builds and apartment blocks?

Law also allows tenant to see the primary bill and justification of how it has been shared.

Landlord is not allowed to charge a higher tariff for the gas/electric, but is allowed to add a fair share of metering costs.

I've experienced it in the old days where I fed my sub-meter with cash, but it was counted in my presence and used against my share of the bill.

It was set high, so there was always enough cash, but I always got the surplus back

Edited by cgksheff

I would hazard a guess it's the battery that needs replacing, your supplier does this. 2 minute job.

If the meter does not read how much gas you use, is it a problem for you ;)

Is there any way to turn the meter off until they come and replace it because it's driving me mad. It being summer I'm not using hardly any gas anyway only when I need hot water so was thinking if I could turn it off when I'm not needing the hot tap on that would be great. The meter is located on the front of the house underneath the living room window so I can hear it beep every 60 seconds even with the window shut! and it gets through the sound of the radio and tv, but as I spend a lot of time reading I need quiet and I've got this bloody beep...

It's imprinting on my brain so I can hear it when I can't hear it :hihi: wouldn't be so bad if it was every half hour or something but every minute is torture plus I could hear it in bed last night If I laid on my back :help:

It wasn't the meter it was a smoke alarm the landlord came to replace couple weeks ago, he threw the old one in my blue bin and left it switched on so it was the alert from the old smoke alarm saying it needs replacing, the blue bin is next to my meter :hihi: I'm withholding 6 months rent because of this :hihi:

It wasn't the meter it was a smoke alarm the landlord came to replace couple weeks ago, he threw the old one in my blue bin and left it switched on so it was the alert from the old smoke alarm saying it needs replacing, the blue bin is next to my meter :hihi: I'm withholding 6 months rent because of this :hihi:

see my post no. 5