Are we expecting snow? Gritter out in July!

Just seen a grit lorry going down City Road and it was actually dropping grit!

The panic merchants will be stripping the shop shelves as we speak.

Apparently they grit the roads when it`s going to be very hot to protect the tarmac :o

It's Sheffield, not Cairo!! It doesn't get that hot here!

I know they do various test runs, for training an such - but why they should be dropping grit????

I know they do various test runs, for training an such - but why they should be dropping grit????

Make sure the hopper thing at the back works? Pointless doing test runs otherwise - you might as well drive round your route in a Ford Fiesta.

In the old days you knew it was hot when the pubs ran out of lager and people were drinking shandiy :help: By the way what is the point of a test run without snow ? LOL

Edited by TORONTONY

In the old days you knew it was hot when the pubs ran out of lager and people were drinking shandiy :help: By the way what is the point of a test run without snow ? LOL

Same as testing a fire hose without a fire, reduce the risk of finding out it doesn't work at the critical moment.

Actually they have been deployed to prevent melting tarmac in the UK, strange but true.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/20/gritters-deployed-to-deal-with-uks-extreme-weather-6722290/

If there's snow then it isn't a test is it. :huh:

Make sure the hopper thing at the back works? Pointless doing test runs otherwise - you might as well drive round your route in a Ford Fiesta.

You could test that in the yard though, don't have to drive around gritting the roads in the middle of summer.

Actually they have been deployed to prevent melting tarmac in the UK, strange but true.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/20/gritters-deployed-to-deal-with-uks-extreme-weather-6722290/

oh I'm not denying that, but it barely broke 20 degrees yesterday, it's hardly tarmac melting levels of heat.

Am i the only wishing it would snow?

Summer is not my friend :|