Eczema in the summer

Does anyone else on here suffer with eczema when the weather gets warmer?

It seems that most people who I talk to tend to say their skin flares up during the winter.

At the moment I'm using hydrocortisone cream, and a greasy moisturiser afterwards to try and minimise the symptoms. Having said that, I think I probably need a stronger steroid cream.

with the eczema, I get itchy, painful blisters on the palms of my hands, and on my fingers.

Just wondered if others have this problem, and if they've found anything to alleviate the symptoms?

I've heard udder cream works well for dry skin, worked well for my brother when he was having skin problems during chemo.

seems to be widely used :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3324531/The-udderly-bonkers-beauty-secret-Hollywood-stars-swear-udder-cream-makes-skin-super-smooth.html

Is the problem only on your hands? Do you use liquid soap from a pump dispenser?

Detol sensitive soap is rated by my mate who suffered badly. She's also found that she gets more results by rotating her cream around - i.e. Not the same sort week in week out. You might need a blast of betnovate but that's a prescription job.

I'll see what else she recommends, sadly she's an expert.

It's been strange this year first time I have ever had any on my body upper chest both sides below my shoulders and slightly on my bicep & Wrists Doctors said it was dry skin eczema and Ive Been on Dermal500 and it has cleared it up well Id reccomend that!

I have had it on my hands to started of as pompholyx eczema which was triggered when I wore a latex glove my mistake (latex Allegery) and after 7 weeks now it has almost gone 99% just keep moisturising I used Zerobase and the doctor reccomended that too!

Aloe Vera Gel from Holland & Barrett really helped too :)

I've heard udder cream works well for dry skin, worked well for my brother when he was having skin problems during chemo.

seems to be widely used :-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3324531/The-udderly-bonkers-beauty-secret-Hollywood-stars-swear-udder-cream-makes-skin-super-smooth.html

Udder cream has lanolin in which brings me out in an angry red rash eek!

Is the problem only on your hands? Do you use liquid soap from a pump dispenser?

Yes the problem is only on my hands, thankfully! No I generally use Simple soap, or Dove. When the eczema is flaring up, I use Hydromol as a soap substitute.

Detol sensitive soap is rated by my mate who suffered badly. She's also found that she gets more results by rotating her cream around - i.e. Not the same sort week in week out. You might need a blast of betnovate but that's a prescription job.

I'll see what else she recommends, sadly she's an expert.

Not tried rotating creams around. Will try that. I'm also thinking Betnovate might be the solution, though didn't want to go down the powerful steroid route. Still if that's what works.

It's been strange this year first time I have ever had any on my body upper chest both sides below my shoulders and slightly on my bicep & Wrists Doctors said it was dry skin eczema and Ive Been on Dermal500 and it has cleared it up well Id reccomend that!

I have had it on my hands to started of as pompholyx eczema which was triggered when I wore a latex glove my mistake (latex Allegery) and after 7 weeks now it has almost gone 99% just keep moisturising I used Zerobase and the doctor reccomended that too!

Aloe Vera Gel from Holland & Barrett really helped too :)

I'm 99.9% certain this is what I've got. The symptoms I have match pompholyx eczema. I have zerobase. I use that in the daytime....I've heard that Dermal500 is good, when I pop along to the docs for some steroids, I'll see if that's one that is prescribed. Am going to ask the Chemist if they have any samples for Dermal500.

Edited by Mister M

This may sound terrible but from reading up on it one of the natural treatments is.. wee. Yes you heard right, urine, and I'm not taking the pxxx.

I had it quite bad on my abdomen and legs a few years ago. A dermatologist gave me a script for 1% betaderm mixed with 1/4 % each menthol and camphor. Worked so well that I kept the repeats on file just in case.

At the moment I'm using hydrocortisone cream, and a greasy moisturiser afterwards to try and minimise the symptoms. Having said that, I think I probably need a stronger steroid cream.

Just bare in mind that ointments can exacerbate the condition especially with pompholyx eczema. Caking yourself in ointment can trigger an itching frenzy as it prevents your skin from breathing. Stick to creams whenever possible.

Top tip: Moisturise first, steroid applications second. Many people think by doing it the other way round they are "locking in" their steroid cream. In fact steroid absorption rates are significantly improved when the skin has been "primed" before hand.

Also antihistamines can be a blessing if you haven't already tried them.

I get a very similar thing itching blisters between my fingers. My GP prescribed me Synalar C which contains an antifungal/antibacterial. It works really well for me to get rid of the blisters.

I never use diprobase on this eczema, it makes it worse for me. I think because it makes my hands sweat more. Things I found help are

a) regular thorough hand washing (hospital style) with antibacterial soap and very thorough drying, concentrating between the fingers.

b) using a light glycerin based cream (I use Avon hand cream) as a barrier cream.

c) regular sunshine or UV exposure (once the blisters clear).

My husband had two years suffering with dermatitis including open sores on his hands. We tried everything to clear it up, including a range of treatments from the RHH under Professor Gawkroger. On a trip to Hong Kong, I saw a notice in the public toilets saying if you were allergic to liquid soap, please ask the attendant for a bar of soap instead. When we got home I researched this to find that this is a common problem where people are using liquid pump soaps. In order to stop the soap dispenser gungeing up, a preservative called methylisothiazolone is added. As soon as we stopped using products with this in, my husband's hands cleared up without any creams etc. This may not be the answer to your problem, however I have since recommended this to a friend and it has worked for her also.