Trees being chopped right now on Crawford Road!

To some extent, but if only it was that linear. As has been demonstrated on the Forum time and time again, there are some who won't be happy if any trees at all are felled. Reasoning is nigh on impossible. They just won't believe that people's lives and properties are adversely affected by some of the trees. Just look back through the various threads. Yes, the council have used bullying tactics, and that's deplorable. But so is the bullying from the other side.

I'm not sure how accurate that is. I suppose part of the problem is that time and again the council and Amey have lied and so now there are many people who (sensibly?) don't believe a word they say.

I'm not sure how accurate that is. I suppose part of the problem is that time and again the council and Amey have lied and so now there are many people who (sensibly?) don't believe a word they say.

Agreed, that's got a lot to do with it. I'm just going on my own experience of being shouted down by fellow posters when I've put forward my own and my neighbours' real and stressful situation.

The amey hate in Sheffield is crazy.

Nothing's really changed and the streets are improved.

Stop moaning.

You contradict yourself!

However...

We now have a(nother) bill hanging around our neck for 20+ years.

We have LED street lights that emits light that disrupts sleep patterns.

We have trees being taken down unnecessarily.

We have very little consultation, and when it does happen, it is ignored.

We have tarmac which is lethal in winter.

We have roads being dug up already by the same contractors that put them down.

We have newly laid roads beginning to pot hole and rut.

We have timescales which change daily.

Apart from that we have another success for the s*itty council.

To some extent, but if only it was that linear. As has been demonstrated on the Forum time and time again, there are some who won't be happy if any trees at all are felled. Reasoning is nigh on impossible. They just won't believe that people's lives and properties are adversely affected by some of the trees. Just look back through the various threads. Yes, the council have used bullying tactics, and that's deplorable. But so is the bullying from the other side.

It's not that people don't believe the stories, it's that they don't think your convenience is sufficient reason to cut down a tree that was there before you bought the house.

I expect that if the council were carefully removing a very small number of trees that actually cause problems, instead of taking down (for example) 75% of the trees on my street, then there would have been no public discussion about it at all, and no protests.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 07:58 ----------

And again: there has been no evidence submitted here to suggest that they have in any way neglected their duty.

That they are taller than the poster's house does not suggest any lack of maintenance.

I thought that the lack of tree maintenance for the last 20 years had been fairly well established to be fair.

I assume that they have done already, and indeed referred the answers to the Ombudsman.

Can anyone from STAG confirm what the response was?

Ombudsman is a total waste of time as they're the COuncil's line of last resort and damage limitation opportunists

It's not that people don't believe the stories, it's that they don't think your convenience is sufficient reason to cut down a tree that was there before you bought the house.

I expect that if the council were carefully removing a very small number of trees that actually cause problems, instead of taking down (for example) 75% of the trees on my street, then there would have been no public discussion about it at all, and no protests.

That is fair enough. I do understand where you're coming from. My counter argument is that a reasonable person would expect at least some preventative and/or remedial action to be taken, especially when things are approaching a damage-causing situation. A stitch in time and all that, but no. Despite being notified for years on end, they've just let it get worse and worse. How is anyone to know that they would continuously fail in their responsibilities?

Edited by Olive

How is anyone to know that they would continuously fail in their responsibilities?

We are talking about a council here? Sheffield City Council no less, and you need to ask that question?

It is a similar natured question to the one asking how is anyone to tell if a Cabinet Minister is lying...

Tree felling staff and equipment back on Crawford Road this morning, as are the protestors too by the looks of it - not a chainsaw to be heard...

We are talking about a council here? Sheffield City Council no less, and you need to ask that question?

It is a similar natured question to the one asking how is anyone to tell if a Cabinet Minister is lying...

Touche, I'll give you that one!

Re the Independent Tree Panel (ITP)

Can anyone explain what was the point of having it?

I ask this because after looking at the survey results on the councils website, it shows that for Crawford Road, 57% of residents that responded to the survey voted to keep the trees.

This survey result meant the matter was put to the IPT. However, the residents were not informed of the outcome of the survey or that it had gone to the ITP. They were not informed of what the ITP decided or informed that the trees were to be cut down. The first anyone knew anything was months after the survey when a notice was put on the trees saying they would be cutting them down.

I read somewhere on the councils website that the ITP have now finished their work - to look at all the surveys throughout Sheffield. But my question is - What was the point of them if, as it seems, all the trees that were referred to them throughout the city, were still chopped down? Did on any occasion the ITP advise the council that any trees should not be cut down? But only to have the decision over turned by the council.

It just seems very undemocratic to me. Can anyone please shed any light on this?

Edited by moneyworries
typo

The ITP was entirely a paper exercise so that the council could claim it had consulted.

The fact is that it entirely ignored the recommendations from the ITP and the wishes of residents everywhere.

Remember that the next time you vote.

I have the feeling someone needs to chipper these trees straight through the council front doors if they don't want to listen to the opinions of the public. Maybe throw in a few dirty nappies too so the council really know how people feel.