Tracing an old car. Ideas?

I'm after some suggestions as to how I could trace an old car we used to own. I'd love to buy it back. I've managed to locate an old Gumtree advert where it was sold last year, but there are no contact details on the advert as it ended. Any ideas? I've tried twitter. If it helps, it's a VW Golf Clipper Cabriolet Mark 1. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I'm after some suggestions as to how I could trace an old car we used to own. I'd love to buy it back. I've managed to locate an old Gumtree advert where it was sold last year, but there are no contact details on the advert as it ended. Any ideas? I've tried twitter. If it helps, it's a VW Golf Clipper Cabriolet Mark 1. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Try VW forums. Likely to be an enthusiast - someone may know who bought/sold it.

Post on Facebook asking people to share it.

Go to VW shows and ask around.

There are various websites that you can check if it still being insured and MOT etc. Just so you know it is in use.

Keep an eye on Auto trader/eBay/VW forums in case it pops up again.

Try the website dot gov, and check if it's taxed and MOT'd....At least then you would know if it's 'on the road', and not rotting in some junk yard after a prang or something awful.

You need to fill in and send a V888 form to the DVLA, they will give you the details of the current registered keeper.

You'll need a good reason to get them to give you the data, wanting to buy back your old car does usually work from what I've heard.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've joined some VW forums today and posted on twitter. I'll try the V888 tomorrow.

Much appreciated!

Try the website dot gov, and check if it's taxed and MOT'd....At least then you would know if it's 'on the road', and not rotting in some junk yard after a prang or something awful.
Note however that a SORN does not necessarily mean that it's on its way to automotive heaven.

Its current owner may just be "hibernating" it (still, or this year), e.g I sorn our MX5 for 6 months or more every year after a thorough wax and polish, and it just sleeps in the garage under sheets. Online taxing by the month and online SORN'ing makes it easier than ever to put and take a car on/off road ad hoc.

MOT status is a good shout though.

Good luck OP :)

Good luck with this! I have a mk2 myself, will never part with it!

I sometimes go to shows and stuff, if you can link a picture I can keep an eye out.

She looks lovely! Shame she's SORN right now, MOT ran out last November :(