Anyone here from Attercliffe?

I have to disagree here bluebird, look at the place years ago, spoilt and a dump. Now it has being refurbished with total consideration for its history.

The outside has been repaired and painted as it was a few hundred years ago, and the front room has had slight alterations to bring up to todays standards, with almost no damage, if any really, to its original design.

It's a fine example of what Sheffield should secure rather than demolish.

:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ASH, have you ever been in the original Carbrook Hall when it used to have the atmosphere of a proper bub, and not the wine bar of the office workers or as a bistro'.When Attercliffe and Carbrook were communities people would look after each other, Carbrook Hall was one of the hubs in the comunity like one or 2 other pubs in the community of Carbrook and Attercliffe.Did you ever go in the Carbrook Hall when they sold "HAMMONDS BEER". I now that they cant change much as it is a listed 2 building but why on earth alter the fireplace. it makes everything look, cheap.

At the end of the 18th century, there was only Carbrook Hall, the old Harrow and the wooden built pheasant inn, standing on carbrook. Carbrook hall has never been in dis-repair and never ever looked a dump. Was you or are you from Carbrook, some how i doubt it as you do not know the carbrook hall, i have never pulled it down, nothing can be said about it, only that the fireplace does not seem to fit with the old oak room. The old fireplace seemed to come out into the room just like they used to, but now they have added modern day bricks which were not around in the 18th century. If it was to prevent people standing close to the fire then why not put a guard round or a fender which could easily be removed. As time and years pass the old folk of carbrook pass away, then there will only be the youngsters of today who know nothing of the way that the building used to be. People cant go in the carbrook now for a pint without having a knife and fork shoved in your hands and people scoffing round you, even the left overs of food which can always be found on the tables or floors.As for the deco, on the outside, then it can not be altered, as it is a class 2 building. The bar has been made smaller , they have added a kitchen where the living quarteres were for the land lord, the outside carpark has been altered to tables and parasols and where the ferns petrol station used to be there have added a car park..

Not to sure there, where is the info for that.:thumbsup:

It's what my dad said was know as common knowledge back then in the 60's, at the time he personally never noticed any strange happenings or believed it was true. Just purely out of interest he asked me to see if anyone else could remember or recall any story's, beliefs or tales etc from that era.

It's what my dad said was know as common knowledge back then in the 60's, at the time he personally never noticed any strange happenings or believed it was true. Just purely out of interest he asked me to see if anyone else could remember or recall any story's, beliefs or tales etc from that era.

Hello King Rat,

I will honest with you like with everyone else, you will never find anyone who will put their hand on the bible and say any different, it is all to bring in custom, I have seen the supposed to be documents of the sightings of ghosts and weird happenings but these are just bits of paper and cuttings from magazines. There was never any talk about ghosts when we lived down there that was in the 60's and my husband lived there from 43'. i remember when the hall was covered by Ferns garage and many people used the hall with no referance to any ghost or spirit. Even my great gran used to clean the pub for the landlord and landlady back in the 30's. What is the truth are all the tunnels leading everywhere from the Hall mainly to manor but these have blocked off. It really makes me laugh when people all seem to jump on the band wagon and say that it is haunted, ask the ages of these people the next time and i will bet you that they are under 30. Or all yuppies from oyut of sheffield.It did used to be a lovely pub and still is, if they left the fireplace how it used to be then the there would be no change whatsoever , oh except for the bar , which has been made smaller. They done a grand job in the pool room i must admit, while decorating in there, they came across the old stove with cook pots on, and have cleaned everything up, put them on show for the public to view.

Hello King Rat,

I will honest with you like with everyone else, you will never find anyone who will put their hand on the bible and say any different, it is all to bring in custom, I have seen the supposed to be documents of the sightings of ghosts and weird happenings but these are just bits of paper and cuttings from magazines. There was never any talk about ghosts when we lived down there that was in the 60's and my husband lived there from 43'. i remember when the hall was covered by Ferns garage and many people used the hall with no referance to any ghost or spirit. Even my great gran used to clean the pub for the landlord and landlady back in the 30's. What is the truth are all the tunnels leading everywhere from the Hall mainly to manor but these have blocked off. It really makes me laugh when people all seem to jump on the band wagon and say that it is haunted, ask the ages of these people the next time and i will bet you that they are under 30. Or all yuppies from oyut of sheffield.It did used to be a lovely pub and still is, if they left the fireplace how it used to be then the there would be no change whatsoever , oh except for the bar , which has been made smaller. They done a grand job in the pool room i must admit, while decorating in there, they came across the old stove with cook pots on, and have cleaned everything up, put them on show for the public to view.

hi bluebird i must agree with you i also lived on bright street and had my wedding reception at the carbrook hall also i used to drink in there when i was younger and i can t ever remember any stories of it been haunted ,i cant speak for now as i have long since left sheffield ,but suppose because it is a very old building and as you say will have lots of creaking floorboards but it also has lots of nice memories i passed through sheffield recently and it does not look no different from the outside .i was sorry to read they have took the fireplace out as that was part of its herritagelots of lovbe j

hi bluebird i must agree with you i also lived on bright street and had my wedding reception at the carbrook hall also i used to drink in there when i was younger and i can t ever remember any stories of it been haunted ,i cant speak for now as i have long since left sheffield ,but suppose because it is a very old building and as you say will have lots of creaking floorboards but it also has lots of nice memories i passed through sheffield recently and it does not look no different from the outside .i was sorry to read they have took the fireplace out as that was part of its herritagelots of lovbe j

Hi cleegirl ! Just read that you lived on Bright Street - do you know a family by the name of 'Andrews'? They had a daughter called Susan, one called Margaret and a couple of sons as well. Susan was the eldest and I think she is about early 50's now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello cleegirl,

It is lovely being able to speakto someone else from Attercliffe. Why is it that people who are not from Attercliffe always believe that the Carbrook is haunted? It really gets to me and i have to tell them about Attercliffe, people have jumped on the band wagon and all assume that they know about

everything.

But the fireplace is modern and does not fit in with the idealic oak room anymore.

The carbrook hall has been made a grade ll listed building so no one can change it, it can not look any different, but so has the queens head on pond hill and the carbrook school [player cafe] but it never stopped them knocking those down and rebuilding or extending has it.

Hi cleegirl ! Just read that you lived on Bright Street - do you know a family by the name of 'Andrews'? They had a daughter called Susan, one called Margaret and a couple of sons as well. Susan was the eldest and I think she is about early 50's now.

hi cant recall the name but i am a good few years older but i will ask my sister as she is younger than meall the best j

FAO Bluebird

1. First of all i was posting on behalf of my dad.

2. I'm sorry if my original post was misinterpreted which after reading again can see how it could've been, but he's more interested in story's, tales history etc regarding The Station Hotel pub which was supposedly haunted back then!

3. Yes, according to my dad in the 60's, Carbrook Hall was not supposedly haunted, so yes it probaly is a marketing ploy like the Loch Ness Monster is IMO, so the story could simply be to sell more spirits!

Also regarding The Station Hotel pub, from what he remembers been told it was supposedly built on top of some cottages & the owner at the time was murdered so this is where the so called ghosts of the Station hotel could've originated from???

Anyone want to elaborate?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello cleegirl,

It is lovely being able to speakto someone else from Attercliffe. Why is it that people who are not from Attercliffe always believe that the Carbrook is haunted? It really gets to me and i have to tell them about Attercliffe, people have jumped on the band wagon and all assume that they know about

everything.

But the fireplace is modern and does not fit in with the idealic oak room anymore.

The carbrook hall has been made a grade ll listed building so no one can change it, it can not look any different, but so has the queens head on pond hill and the carbrook school [player cafe] but it never stopped them knocking those down and rebuilding or extending has it.

welli suppose when i was running the streets of carbrook we had much more things to pass ourtime away to be worrying about ghosts them were the days when awhip and top or a ball in a nylon stocking were our entertainment or a game of kick the can the kids of today don tknow what they are missing it was all good fun love j

ASH, have you ever been in the original Carbrook Hall when it used to have the atmosphere of a proper bub, and not the wine bar of the office workers or as a bistro'

We've misunderstood each other. I was referring to much earlier times.

When Attercliffe and Carbrook were communities people would look after each other, Carbrook Hall was one of the hubs in the comunity like one or 2 other pubs in the community of Carbrook and Attercliffe.

As much as I'm a fan of traditional pubs, there isn't the local population now (as you obviously know as a local) to keep this as one [traditional].

A pub for office workers is just necessary now.

My meaning was that the modern style pub is 'one' better than other such pubs in the area in which [to my disappointment, and disgust TBH] the demise has led to demolition. The Commercial, Bridge and Wellington, for recent examples.

Was you or are you from Carbrook, some how i doubt it as you do not know the carbrook hall,

I can't say I went in there years ago, because I didn't. But I've cleared that bit up in the last bit.

p.s I'm neither a yuppie or an out of towner.

Also, if I had my own way, every pub (without a flat roof) would be listed.

Ash:)