Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Hiya daftlad. I had a very close school friend who lived at the Railway Cottages - Veronica Witham - do you know her

Jackie

.....Yep! I spent a lot of time down the Cliffe. I was always in the Mugs Alley clinging on to the rail letting all the smart alecs pass me. Good Fun. Used to have pie and peas from the little pie shop (if we were lucky). I live Newcastle close to Lake Macquarie.

Regards Vera.

Hi Vera

I too spent time in Mugs Alley, we must have been there around the same time. When I went a young man with tatoos used to lead the line of skaters as I remember he was older and a bit like popeye.

hazel

Can anyone remember the dreaded Miss Deakin from Carbrook Infants school -she wasn't afraid to give you a slap if you crossed her. She was only surpassed by the equally dreadful Miss Renshaw. We would come out of school and then straight into the Rec on Terry Street, stay too long there and then get a clip round the ear for being late home. Happy days though. Also can you remember the sand rec just of Staniforth Road?

. Also can you remember the sand rec just of Staniforth Road?

That would have been Ripon Street Rec wouldn't it.......spent quite a bit of time there myself actually.:hihi:

To: Joanl

Yes that's the one. It was about as near to a sandy beach as we could get when really young.

Hiya daftlad. I had a very close school friend who lived at the Railway Cottages - Veronica Witham - do you know her

Jackie

It was my wife who lived on the cottages in the early to mid sixties

Hi, I'm Jackie (nee Rogerson) I lived on Whitworth Lane (in the yard at the back of Summerhayes' Chip Shop-in fact my mother worked in the chip shop for many years). I have two brothers David and Keith (anyone remember our family? - David worked at Brown Baileys for many years, Keith worked at Tempered Springs).

Did Keith work in the tool room with Frank Woodhead and Tommy Beard (who allegedly "borrowed" some of the union money) ;)

hiya owdlad, My name is Jackie Clarke (nee Rogerson) and yes it was our Keith who worked with Frankie Woodhead. Frankie and his brothers and sisters lived on the next road to us on Howden Road. I think he said that Tommy Beard worked on another section but, yes, you were right, it was said that he "borrowed" the money from the union, but our Keith says that the case was apparently thrown out of court after Brian Baker's evidence. He asked me to ask you your name to see if he remembers you. He retired from Tempered Springs ten years ago through health problems. I think he meets up on the occasional Friday with quite a few of the "oldies" in one of the pubs in town. I see him and his wife most Thursday nights when they and my other brother David visit me.

If you have any messages for him, please let me know and I will gladly pass them on.

Jackie

Anyone know whats happening with the old dog and partridge pub which was up to being sold a lap dancing bar.Iwork across the rd in spartan works and the sold sign has been up for months.Anyone know whos bought it and what they intend doing with the building.?thanks Brooksy:thumbsup:

hiya owdlad, My name is Jackie Clarke (nee Rogerson) and yes it was our Keith who worked with Frankie Woodhead. Frankie and his brothers and sisters lived on the next road to us on Howden Road. I think he said that Tommy Beard worked on another section but, yes, you were right, it was said that he "borrowed" the money from the union, but our Keith says that the case was apparently thrown out of court after Brian Baker's evidence. He asked me to ask you your name to see if he remembers you. He retired from Tempered Springs ten years ago through health problems. I think he meets up on the occasional Friday with quite a few of the "oldies" in one of the pubs in town. I see him and his wife most Thursday nights when they and my other brother David visit me.

If you have any messages for him, please let me know and I will gladly pass them on.

Jackie

Hi Jackie

I am sorry to hear that Keith isn't in good health (it isn't the work he did that made him ill :hihi: ) but he must be nearing retirement age now though, because him and Frank were like siamese twins and Frank must be nearly 70 :D I got out of TS a long time before Keith and never regretted getting away from the back stabbing mentality that was the norm on the shop floor.

I do miss some of the blokes who worked there, and Keith was one of those who could always be relied upon for a laugh.

Hiya LesleyAnn

I rmember all too well digging up the pitch on Whitworth Lane. One of the times was Whit Sunday. I dressed in my brand new clothes and decided to start digging and got covered. A also remember my mother's reaction - she smeared butter all over my body to get it off, but my sticky-out dress and white buckskin shoes were ruined. I also remember going to the Pavilion on Saturday mornings as it was only 2 minutes walk away. If we were lucky, we would arrange for a friend to open the back doors to the pictures and get in for nowt - that was until we got caught! It certainly taught me a lesson. I can't say the same about the pitch though. When I smell tar being laid - it brings back the memories and makes me want to did again but at 53, I'm a bit too old now.

Jackie

I knew that my parents lived on Newhall Rd after marraige & that my Father in law was born & lived on Alfred Rd, today I received a copy of my Fathers birth certificate & he was born a year earlier than my father in law & also from Alfred Rd. They probably knew each other and went to the same school, I find this to be an unbelievable coincidence, unfortunately I didn't know either of them.