Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Hey ! you lot, you left the best place on Earth.......we know because we are still here...lol

[Hey Old timer. Very interesting letter there from you. I remember all of that. The skating rink with with that that long strip you talked of i spent many hours in there on my bum It was known as The Mugs ally) remember] I left the Uk in 1963 for Aussie

Regards vera

Hiya

I haven't got any relations by those names but apparantly there were loads of Graysons who lived down Attercliffe(which we found out when researching the family tree)I'll mention it to my dad because he might remember them anyway.

Thanks

Originally posted by buck

Hello Oldtimer! I must say I got to be pretty good on skates and used to go down that little training area and race round it just to show off. It stood me in good stead when I lived in Montreal where I transferred to ice skates and did a lot of reffing for the kids on the outdoor rinks. I'd done a bit of figure skating in Attercliffe but in Canada that was considered a bit efffeminate so quit. I went to Attercliffe rink a few years before you, just as WW2 was finishing, and finally broke my arm in a fall, so changed over to bike racing instead where I only broke my front teeth.

I don't remember that building you spoke about. I spent 9 years in Canada mostly in Quebec, and a year in Newfie, life in Quebec got too complicated with the government insisting that my English kid had to be taught only in French, so came down to the "evil empire". I miss Canada, perhaps the only civilised country left on earth.

Originally posted by rosiebear

my husband remembers three,stephen paul and susan,they lived in the end yard next to batiste shop.

Would stephen and paul be the 2 lads who started working at Bradwell electrical about 1970

does any one remember pierpoints green grocers on attercliffe , my aunt worked there and as a kid it always seemed very busy. suppose most of attercliffe was like this at that time , happy days.

Sorry Kiwi, I fprgot the only other civilised place on earth. I've been to your big obnoxious neighbour, but never to NZ. Always scared down there of falling off. That couldn't happen to Canada.

Originally posted by buck

Sorry Kiwi, I fprgot the only other civilised place on earth. I've been to your big obnoxious neighbour, but never to NZ. Always scared down there of falling off. That couldn't happen to Canada.

Dont be too hard on our obnoxious neighbours across the ditch Buck they are always good to have a laugh at oops l mean with

Originally posted by brooksy

does any one remember pierpoints green grocers on attercliffe , my aunt worked there and as a kid it always seemed very busy. suppose most of attercliffe was like this at that time , happy days.

I remember it. Opposite the bottom of Staniforth Rd. or Shirland Lane, next to a bank I think. It was set back a bit from the building line and had a display area outside the shop. Used to go down Attercliffe quite a bit in my teens (1950s) to browse in the swop-shops. In those days Attercliffe seemed to be all shops and pubs from Broughton Lane up to Staniforth Road.

BTW - I used to work with a lad called Brooks, I think he said he was born in a house on Woodbine Road, and I knew a few people came off Alfred Road etc. and got moved to Shiregreen. They all seemed to migrate to Firth Park cub :D

Aye the 'Cliffe had it all in them days. t'palace, pies and peas, Banners. Better than t'Moor which was for the toffee noses of Ecclesall and Abbeydale.

i was born in the kitchen of a 2 up 2 down on coleford road,can't remember what number but there was a little shop next door called burgess' left when i was four but still have a few vague memories.

thanks for your post greybeard. you are right my dad ken brooks lived on woodbine rd and then moved 2 chelmsford st where we grew up. he worked all is working life in various steelworks in sheffield. my moms family came of don rd and were called brand, also i have family of atercliffe called tuckwood and roberts.