Anyone here from Attercliffe?

hi sorry i dont remember the play.:(

i was proberbly too busy sneaking in the broughton pub..lol

we took the dogs for a outing sunday a walk round high hazels park.

not a lot has changed.in fact it was a lovely stroll.quite.sunny.

after we went to barley wood rd cemetery passing the old morrisons on the left,which is now Lidle and the old bus depot is B&Q..

plenty of open space/land barley wood road, no change there.

it was a nice walk round. noticed a lot of graves with supports on them

asking any relatives not to touch them and to go in the office to see them about replacing the head stones,more than likely it will cost them..:(

Ann Dunwells being one.the young girl who was murdered... her grave is oppersite my grans so i always visit anns..

drove down broughton lane,taking pics along the way, since i didn't do it back in the 60's. :mad:

hasten to add not much to take. arena/office units/retail park..

cheryl

Thats where my granny is buried :-(

My aunt had a shop on Attercliffe Common near Tinsley Terminus. Two doors away was a cobbler Donald Gooch(?). I sat for hours as a kid while he made clogs. I remember men coming in the shop to buy their "plug"or snuff - brown teeth for plug and brown moustache for snuff!
Peter ,was your Aunt called Mrs Knowles

Hello Irish Blade - No, her name was Eva Hendy. Could Mrs Knowles have lived next door to my Aunt - between her shop and the Cobbler's? I have a vague recollection of what could have been a shop but with net curtains across and a lady lived there. As a point of interest we estimate the shop was approximately where the Abbey National building is now (opposite the Retail Park)

can anybody tell me what the green grocers shop was called on weedon street and the two chippy's one was on weeden street and the other was on askern street I think also does anybody know if any of the people who lived down our way are still living ie the kids like gary carr,pip piper,steven mather,kay goodwin.billy otter,steven holford,linda holford,valerie holford,kim goddard,lesley goodard, janet holford, and anybody else who I cant remember does anybody recall old man street who use to sit out side is shop in the summer and watch you very carefully when you went in also can anybody tell me what he was called who had the barbers shop across from the tinsley hotel the one that was next door to the baccy shop.
BigKev, The name of the barber was Ronnie and the grocer was called John Street

My aunt had a shop on Attercliffe Common near Tinsley Terminus. Two doors away was a cobbler Donald Gooch(?). I sat for hours as a kid while he made clogs. I remember men coming in the shop to buy their "plug"or snuff - brown teeth for plug and brown moustache for snuff!
Peter ,Was your Aunt called Mrs Knowles

Peter,As I recall,the 'Baccy'shop used to be next to a wide entrance .I can only go back to the early 70s when my Mother took over the Baccy shop from Mrs Knowles and it was across from the Tinsley Hotel.I don't know about the bank,I have lived in S.Ireland for the last 11yrs

hi that wide enterance at the bottom to the right.. before the barbers

used to be a mens dosh house called pauls..big bloke with white hair run it.

hi that wide enterance at the bottom to the right.. before the barbers

used to be a mens dosh house called pauls..big bloke with white hair run it.

YES thats right, his full name was PAUL BOYRAINE at number 659 Attercliffe Common. Before he got the place it was a pea and pie shop

aAt the other side of the entrance was the UNION.

juliediane

Irish blade - I have looked a bit further in the dusty old boxes with family "stuff" in. The shop was number 611 Attercliffe Common. I have a blank as to whether my Aunt sold the shop as a going concern or not and when she moved out. I may get some answers when I visit my last surviving Aunt in Tinsley next weekend - even if it is just to fill a hole in my knowledge!

Peter,As I recall,the 'Baccy'shop used to be next to a wide entrance .I can only go back to the early 70s when my Mother took over the Baccy shop from Mrs Knowles and it was across from the Tinsley Hotel.I don't know about the bank,I have lived in S.Ireland for the last 11yrs

one side of the wide entrance was knowles baccy shop, other side was Wades pork and sandwich shop if you went down the gennel or opening it lead to the rear of the shops if you carried on down you would come to GEORGIE BANKS BUILDERS YARD where GEORGIES WORK SHOPS STORED HIS HAND CARTS. P/S Georgie banks is Gordon banks uncle [goal keeper]

juliediane