Anyone here from Attercliffe?

I wonder how much the hangmen got paid? I thought the last hangman lived in Marple?
THe pierrpoints all came from nottingham, bolton and bradford.

they thought that being an executioner that they would be made with money, but when they the prisoners were reprieved then many a time the pierrpoint's went without getting paid. IT is known that Albert sent his £4. back to the government when his last execution was reprieved and with it his resignation. when Albert died on friday 10th july 1992 he died peacefully in his sleep in the Melvyn Nursing Home at Southport aged 87, ending the family name. Following Alberts resignation, Jock Stewart was promoted to being the hangman till 1964 and in 1969 the capital punishment was finaly abolished.hanging did stop when capital punishment was finally abolished.

the pierrpoints had hung over 830 people between the 3 of them, over a span of 55 years in 8 countries.

is that when hanging stopped then..:o

i remember everyone going on about him who was hung up on broughton lane

on the gallows, they left him there months. till there was only bones..

when you think about it there's some right tales to tell from

way back when down attercliffe.

like carbrook hall haunted.

cheryl

cheryl

my great gran used to clean the carbrook hotel out from top to bottom 7 days a week. that was in the 30's to 50's and she says it has never been haunted.she has been trapped in the bedroom upstairs when cleaning as her foot slipped into a concealed passageway which the carbrook has loads off. the old landlord and lady from that time had neither seen a ghost, spook or anything, all this haunted lark only appeared in the mid 80's to bring cash in from the punters. my husband used to live over wall from the carbrook hotel says that it used to be his local as he only used to work across the road from the pub, and it was not haunted in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90,s

juliediane

cheryl

you mean Spence Broughton, he was not hung on broughton lane, it was on clifton street at the yellow lion. that is right tho' where he was left till the bones dropped thro'. Do you know that Darnall had 2 hangmen cheryl, the other was the executioner of charles 1. and charly peace used to live on britannia road opposite the library.

hanging did stop when capital punishment was finally abolished.

the pierrpoints had hung over 830 people between the 3 of them, over a span of 55 years in 8 countries.

Can I ask whereabouts Britannia Road is please, and does anyone know any history on the library please.

Thanks

Brittannia Road is on Darnall Terminus where one of the entrances to Morrisons was. Got Dobsons on the corner

Anybody know whos bought dog and partridge, :help:

sorry brooksy. it was a pole dancing club last time i passed..

i'll try find out for you this weekend

cheryl

Brittannia Road is on Darnall Terminus where one of the entrances to Morrisons was. Got Dobsons on the corner

yes you are right there. and Did you know that the other hangman was william walker and that he lived in the "DARNALL OLD HALL"

THERE WAS A DATE Over top of the door 1702

charles 1st was executed on 30th january 1649 by William Walker.. the house was built in 1580

this hall stood at the side of "THE DUKE OF YORK" public house.

Beemerchez, the little Victory club was behind either the baths or the library somewhere, don't know what Street it was on as it's so long ago now, or seems like it. My father in law didn't have anything to do with the gang on Alfred Rd apart from giving some of them a good hiding for raping his sister, he was well respected by them after that, I heard that from an old gang member that I worked with when I was a young un.

you mean Spence Broughton, he was not hung on broughton lane, it was on clifton street at the yellow lion. that is right tho' where he was left till the bones dropped thro'. Do you know that Darnall had 2 hangmen cheryl, the other was the executioner of charles 1. and charly peace used to live on britannia road opposite the library.

hanging did stop when capital punishment was finally abolished.

Just thought I'd add another connection - Charlie Peace was hung by William Marwood in Leeds. One of his descendants eventually married into the Littlewood family from Attercliffe. Strangely enough, Charlie Peace was visited in Armley by Rev Littlewood of Darnall. Wonder if it's the same family line?

Just thought I'd add another connection - Charlie Peace was hung by William Marwood in Leeds. One of his descendants eventually married into the Littlewood family from Attercliffe. Strangely enough, Charlie Peace was visited in Armley by Rev Littlewood of Darnall. Wonder if it's the same family line?

Does anybody else remember the play at the Playhouse about Charlie Peace, also the classic Stirrings In Sheffield on Saturday Night, both of which I got into free because a mate of mine was a trainee actor in the cast at the time.