Anyone here from Attercliffe?

My aunt was born in Attercliffe WAY back in 1884. Her address was 14 Bowen Street.

I wonder if anything exists at that address anymore. I would love to visit Sheffield sometime.

Hi I lived down atterciffe 16yrs 60s70s and do not recall Bowen st, looked in my old A to Z of area which goes back to 1900s, no bowen st,only bowen rd and bowen dri but they are in rotherham.sure its bowen st,looked and cannot see anythink close,maybe one of oldies on here can shed some light.

Hi Susan

I was born in May so I was in the same year as you, I remember Diane, Martin and David and some more names are Janet Palmer, Pat Turner, Susan Johnson, Rita Pearson. Christine Vavjenak, Elaine Kania, Margaret Briggs, Andrea Thompson and Elaine Warren, Trevor Morris and Ian Willetts. You went on to Pipworth Road but I went on to Beaver Hill so you wouldn't know some of the names I mentioned previously.

I am Rosemarie Hadi (or Rose), I am half arab so you may remember me by my black curly hair and I was very skinny (although you wouldn't believe it now), I have four brothers and the one next to me was Joseph who was in the year below us, does this ring any bells. The school put on a musical and I played the queen in 'The Marquis of Carabass', Melvyn Howe played the king and Janet Palmer played the princess.

Hi Rosemarie

Sorry it's been a few days since I last contacted you. You know, I don't remember your black curly hair at all but then it is over 50 years ago! I've found the photo I referred to earlier and I don't think you are on it. I remember the names Rita Pearson, Trevor Morris, Ian Willetts and Christine Vavjenak - which I think was spelt something like Wawzyniak. In fact I sat next to Christine at one point. Here are the names of some of the people I remember from the photo - you'll have to let me know if they mean anything to you. Here goes then - Linda Gibson, Geoffrey Harding (?), Jill Turner, Anne Carey, Joyce Simmonite, Hazel Armstrong, Diane Wheatley, Stephen Capill and John Whiteley. I also remember someone called Brenda Marriott because she went to the City Grammar school from Woodbourn Road but she isn't on the photograph either. I wonder if there were two classes for our age group - I can't remember. It really is good to be able to think back over half a century.

Hi Rosemarie

Sorry it's been a few days since I last contacted you. You know, I don't remember your black curly hair at all but then it is over 50 years ago! I've found the photo I referred to earlier and I don't think you are on it. I remember the names Rita Pearson, Trevor Morris, Ian Willetts and Christine Vavjenak - which I think was spelt something like Wawzyniak. In fact I sat next to Christine at one point. Here are the names of some of the people I remember from the photo - you'll have to let me know if they mean anything to you. Here goes then - Linda Gibson, Geoffrey Harding (?), Jill Turner, Anne Carey, Joyce Simmonite, Hazel Armstrong, Diane Wheatley, Stephen Capill and John Whiteley. I also remember someone called Brenda Marriott because she went to the City Grammar school from Woodbourn Road but she isn't on the photograph either. I wonder if there were two classes for our age group - I can't remember. It really is good to be able to think back over half a century.

Hi Susan

Its so strange listening to those names again, I remember everyone that you mentioned. I particularly remember Anne Carey because she was picked on quite a bit. This was definitely my year so I can't think why I wasn't on the photo. Do you ever remember going on a school holiday to London, we stayed in a youth hostel and slept in bunk beds? I can remember Anne Carey sleeping on the top bunk above the teacher.

If you sat next to Christine Wawzyniak (you're right about the spelling) we were definitely in the same year. I used to walk home with her after school along with Janet Palmer because we all lived on the same route.

A couple of weeks ago whilst in Crystal Peaks with my mun I was stopped by a man who I had noticed was looking at me and it was Trevor Morris, he remembered me from all those years and it wasn't until I really looked at him that I recognized him. He was actually a friend of my brother Joseph and he gave me his number to pass on to Joe so they could meet and talk about old times.

Can any of this jog your memory Susan, I hope so.

Regards

Rosemarie

Hi cliffys,any one remember going in old attercliffe conservative club 60s/70s we used to go in for snooker,and at election time someone put a labour poster up in snooker room window, committee was not happy ,I am sure there was a mens only room as you walked in on r/handside with its own bar,Bit of a novelty untill you saw the miniskirts walking down to disco at broughton,guess which one won,allways been a sucker.for short skirts and stilettos and that was just the men,can`t see many men dressed like that going in broughton,apart from mighty melvin, anybody see him perform at the enfield we egged him on to strip fully one night he said by law he could not do it, but he did.Anybody know what happened to him.Good laugh cheap beer.

Hello again Rosemarie

I didn't go on the school trip to London so that must have happened after I left which was around June/July 1959. One thing I do remember attending was some kind of dancing session which was held upstairs in a pub which I think was called the Bulldog? Do you remember that at all? I'll ask my son if he can put the photo on here so you can have a look at it.

Take care

Sue

Hi Susan

Its so strange listening to those names again, I remember everyone that you mentioned. I particularly remember Anne Carey because she was picked on quite a bit. This was definitely my year so I can't think why I wasn't on the photo. Do you ever remember going on a school holiday to London, we stayed in a youth hostel and slept in bunk beds? I can remember Anne Carey sleeping on the top bunk above the teacher.

If you sat next to Christine Wawzyniak (you're right about the spelling) we were definitely in the same year. I used to walk home with her after school along with Janet Palmer because we all lived on the same route.

A couple of weeks ago whilst in Crystal Peaks with my mun I was stopped by a man who I had noticed was looking at me and it was Trevor Morris, he remembered me from all those years and it wasn't until I really looked at him that I recognized him. He was actually a friend of my brother Joseph and he gave me his number to pass on to Joe so they could meet and talk about old times.

Can any of this jog your memory Susan, I hope so.

Regards

Rosemarie

HI CLIFFY

My Grandad used it all the time from 30s to 60s he was on the committee and a top notch snooker player he only stood 5ft nothing, as kids they used to take us out to seaside each year on the old shara bang as we called it they gave us a few goodies

to eat on bus and a few pennies to spend, we was all labour but we still went on the outing,CHEERS DTM,

my mum was born on alfred road,she was the youngest of 10,then when she married she moved to newhall road,she still says youll never find a community like the one they had "down cliff"

Both my father and mother's family came from Attercliffe, Alfred Rd. area. My father was born in 1906, and my mother 1913 so they have been dead for many years now. My father's name was Turner and my mother's name Colley. I would love to find any of the family from my father's side as I lost contact with them after his death in 1958.

Dors.

HI ALL

I keep reading threads, and people go on about photos, of Attercliffe Carbrook Schools ext how or where do i find them DTM

Both my father and mother's family came from Attercliffe, Alfred Rd. area. My father was born in 1906, and my mother 1913 so they have been dead for many years now. My father's name was Turner and my mother's name Colley. I would love to find any of the family from my father's side as I lost contact with them after his death in 1958.

Dors.

It might help to give a few more details, for instance you mumand dad's Christian names, and, if you know it, their actual address, any details you know about children they had, plus aunts, uncles, etc. I knew a family called Turner, but they lived in Dane Street, and had a daughter called Arlene. They also had a son. However, there was another family called Turner who lived nearby.

In case it is of interest, a history of St Clement's Church has been posted on Sheffield History.

It might help to give a few more details, for instance you mumand dad's Christian names, and, if you know it, their actual address, any details you know about children they had, plus aunts, uncles, etc. I knew a family called Turner, but they lived in Dane Street, and had a daughter called Arlene. They also had a son. However, there was another family called Turner who lived nearby.

In case it is of interest, a history of St Clement's Church has been posted on Sheffield History.

hi redfyre,spent quite a few new years eves at st clements in the square,after the parents came out of the forge of course.my dad came from alfred rd his name was charles hepplestone but no one knew as that everyone knew him as spike.he was related to the johnsons and ashworths and aistrups.

Hi Redfyre,

Dad's name Wilfred - must have been quite well known. We are in Australia and my husband even met someone here that new him. Two bothers, Bill and Frank, six sisters, Aggie, Hilda, Minnie, Doris, Alice, and Marion. They lived on the right hand side of Alfred Rd. not that far from Newhall Rd and the entry to the yard was round the corner on another street. Only one of the brothers, Frank, had kids and I know that they lived at Darnall. Pretty sure that the boys name was Robert, not sure about the girl but think it was something like Patsy or Nancy. Four of the sisters had children but as I can't remember their surnames don't know how to go about finding them unless I do a family tree.

Didn't have anything to do with my dad's side of the family after my parents passed away, mum in 1957 and Dad in 1958. My maternal grandmother brought me up and didn't encourage my dad's family to visit!

Thanks for your help.

Dors.