Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Joan, Are you thinking of Pelham Street?

I am..:blush:

Ive just been into town and as soon as I got settled on the bus this thought flashed into my mind.....Grandma lived on both Pelham and Paget streets....the earlier part was in the co op yard......

Sorry, I still havent found the map, but I'm sure you're right......Made a New Years resolution not to post on stuff that I THINK I know....only ones I am CERTAIN I know....soon broke that one didn't I?

Joan, as an old relative of mine used to say "Let not your heart be troubled"! There's nobody worse than me when it comes to rushing to write something and then finding I've got it all wrong!

I am, however, fascinated by people's memories of growing up in the Newhall area in the 1940s, when old Jerry Bronks was the school headmaster, and dear old Rosie Skillington kept the beer-off on Alfred Road. I left the area for good when I was about 14, and some people from down there often say that I was never really one of them. But they've got it all wrong. Of all the places I lived in my early days, Newhall and the East End in general was the one that meant the most!

Well I went to Maltby st..but lived on Newhall Road and would walk down to my grandmas at least once a week. My other grandad had a shop selling government surplus stuff and we had a field telephone connected from our house to the other side of the yard to their house. My brother and me also had a pedal car that my dad had put some kind of motor in which we used to go down to Pelham/Paget street in. He fitted a rigid bar on it so he could hold the other end of course. :hihi:

Can I suggest that some of the Newhall people using this site take a look at www://sheffieldhistory.co.uk/ which not only complements this site, but includes some pictures of people you might recognise. And more might follow!

I just tried it to be honest and it wouldn't let me register...kept saying I wasn't doing the code right and I know I was so I will have another try later.....:thumbsup:

good on yer redfyre,with mems like that, ya got to be one one of the newhall gang..lold bronks used to frieten me to death,,..just to se him walking down the hall to the big desk in the middle, with the big bell.wich was sounded every hour(remember)roll on 4,o clock..and miss guest,having a crafty drag(woodbine)behind the blackboard..with one of us keeping an eye out for you know whoo(bronks)remember running up to rosies many atime,for a blue gillet for mi dad,....you sure have brought back a lot of mems.....keep em coming,,!!!!

hi.yes you are right..after a quick word with my sis,,she also told that there was a chip shop on the corner of paget street and pelham street,then on down pelham,to the corner,to morris,s corner shop..i was born in the same yard,,,then moverd to dane street..

yes...nigel was jimmys eldest lad...and he did run a pub in blackpool...meet up with our jimmy every year when we go to b,pool for a weekend for the eluminations....only lights we see,are the ones going round ,and round..at bed time..all the family are still living in b..pool

my nan was one of the wilds

there was jean ,val, kath, ray , irene(rip) ,joss(rip), joe(rip) an there mum was called fanny wild there all in 60 to 80 year old now

then theres my grandad lenoard wood anyone heard of him he had a sister called june an edna

sorry cll23,but those names dont ring a bell.the only joss wild i can think of used to live on pelham street..he was unfortuneltly a cripple...had difficulty walking..but was a great bloke,,......

does anyone remember langtons shoe tactory on westbury st. my aunty rita worked there.it was nearly all women at break time they would all come out into the yard it was like playtime in the schoolyard.