Anyone here from Attercliffe?

[and old telephone box right outside toilet,A and B buttons.]I remember under age drinkin in brougton inn,first time ever did it me and mate ron went in he had just started work at coop up road,and had a donkey jacket on don`t know why, he was a butcher .anyway he thought it made him look older.so in we goz,straight tu bar ron says to landlord 2 pints mate un some change for pinball landlord looks us both up and down,and with a crackin laugh on his face says how old u two .ron says old enough.landlord says you can have 2 halfs one game on pinball and get out. desent chap made it our local after that. must have been 69/70 used to go disco there satnite. what was D.J. called lived over back from me grans on berkley rd, backed on to amberley rd thats where he lived.I used to climb over into there yard. no toes in shoes ever.

I lived on Newhall Rd, I went to Carbrook rec often. I can see in my minds eye the park-keepers house, the nursery, the loos by the entrance, the tennis courts, the sign post in the flower beds, the swings, the rocking horses and the roundabout things but for the life of me, I cannot remember how we got there once we turned left at the end of Newhall road and down towards Carbrook:suspect::huh::hihi:......

cannot remember toilets near entrance thought they were back of parkys hut side play ground.remember balling green nobody went on thier with out permission.used to watch uncle harry play on it with there terry.

HI cliffys. just been talkin to my sis she says it was miss renshaw at carbrook school. and miss meeam was up at hatfield house .I got it wrong again nothing changes. readin back some old theads that kevin slater had died, sorry to hear that used to play with kev on rec.:

kev always used to tell me about is childhood down cliffe he did tell me a lot of names but forgot a lot of them. i know he used to hang around with paul mirfin, his best mate was hodgy, stuart hodgkins or hodgkinson something like that. i remember he used to know beals and fowlers as this sticks in my mind with eastenders as he said its like being down cliffe, his family the slater his mums the mitchells and he knew beals and fowlers from cliffe.

i met him after he moved on manor but we used to go down cliffe a lot in the early days before we married and he showed me all around where he used to hang around ect, telling me about all the things he got up to and his friends.

Hi summer1955 .yes there was all ways somethin to do and play with.remember hodgy paul mirfin [think he lived at bolldocks wet fish shop] paul young, alec and eric wraith,chris baker,graham parkin,alan smith,ron chryst,and many more,in summer we would all be on rec football,cricket, on grass or dusty little wembley ,tennis if we had money,summer hollidays we could go on for now`t allways big queue.or down cut [canal] makin rafts and swimming,boy what a smell dead dogs the lot,nobody got ill, don`t know how.Winter we played delavie`o. 2 gangs 1 with a base the other hide when you where caught had to stop at base till rest gang caught,but you could get out if one of your gang tig you.used to annoy all neighbors jumpin over walls into yards, through lines full of washin not alot of mischief compare with today.brill days sun always shinin. still see alan smith and ron chryst.

Thanks for the memorys kev, still live in my head.all best B.F.NOW.

HI all i can remember miss Renshaw she used to sit on a stool in front of class with her knees crossed she used to show a little more than she should, a certain teacher was having it of with her she was quiet a stunner they used to go into the teachers office where they had there break i made the tea for them well put the kettle on for them and i saw more than i should. Does any one remember D Hobson from the school is it the one assortiated with Boxing i used to go to a gym up Handsworth hill instead of going to night school, I was a painter and decerator apprentice my boss lived of Stanifirth rd

i think they called him Ghandi i pushed the barrow with the ladders on many a mile, mems

once again at least happy ones DTM

Hi summer1955 .yes there was all ways somethin to do and play with.remember hodgy paul mirfin [think he lived at bolldocks wet fish shop] paul young, alec and eric wraith,chris baker,graham parkin,alan smith,ron chryst,and many more,in summer we would all be on rec football,cricket, on grass or dusty little wembley ,tennis if we had money,summer hollidays we could go on for now`t allways big queue.or down cut [canal] makin rafts and swimming,boy what a smell dead dogs the lot,nobody got ill, don`t know how.Winter we played delavie`o. 2 gangs 1 with a base the other hide when you where caught had to stop at base till rest gang caught,but you could get out if one of your gang tig you.used to annoy all neighbors jumpin over walls into yards, through lines full of washin not alot of mischief compare with today.brill days sun always shinin. still see alan smith and ron chryst.

Thanks for the memorys kev, still live in my head.all best B.F.NOW.

i remember he mentioned wraiths, none of other cant remember

yes paul mirfin used to live back off fish shop bolldock was his grandfather.

kev used to say about all the wall jumping into peoples yards and about going on the cut and making rafts, he fell in cut and nearly drowned when he was 5 if it was not for his duffle coat hood and a man getting him out.he used to say they where great days down cliff always something to do and somewhere to go and always plenty of friends

if he was here now he would be chatting to you about them days and he could go on for ever when he got chatting about cliffe

I lived on Cottingham Street and went to Woodbourn Road school until 1959. I also remember Susan Grimshaw and the shock of her passing away. She may have been in my year at school and could even be on an old class photo I have which probably dates back to around 1956. Miss Hill is there along with a teacher whose name escapes me but I think she emigrated to Australia. I was born in 1951 so if anyone on the forum was born around that time we were probably in the same school year and it would be great to hear your memories too.

I lived on Cottingham Street and went to Woodbourn Road school until 1959. I also remember Susan Grimshaw and the shock of her passing away. She may have been in my year at school and could even be on an old class photo I have which probably dates back to around 1956. Miss Hill is there along with a teacher whose name escapes me but I think she emigrated to Australia. I was born in 1951 so if anyone on the forum was born around that time we were probably in the same school year and it would be great to hear your memories too.

I also lived on Cottingham Street, was born in 1954, but you would be about the same age as one of my brothers, John Whiteley. I don't remember Susan Grimshaw but I was in the same class as one of her sisters, Diana, also worked with Diana up to last December.

I remember the name Whiteley and think that John is on the photograph. Was he quite small for his age when he was around 6 or 7? If so the picture shows him sat on the floor, cross-legged with a very gummy grin as a lot of his front teeth are missing !! I shall have to ask my son if it's possible to post this picture on the foram. I am worse than useless at anything like that. By the way our house number was 158. Nice to hear from you !

HI all i can remember miss Renshaw she used to sit on a stool in front of class with her knees crossed she used to show a little more than she should, a certain teacher was having it of with her she was quiet a stunner they used to go into the teachers office where they had there break i made the tea for them well put the kettle on for them and i saw more than i should. Does any one remember D Hobson from the school is it the one assortiated with Boxing i used to go to a gym up Handsworth hill instead of going to night school, I was a painter and decerator apprentice my boss lived of Stanifirth rd

i think they called him Ghandi i pushed the barrow with the ladders on many a mile, mems

once again at least happy ones DTM

Hi Derek/ The gym up Handsworth Hill was Rex Graves on the left hand side just after the roundabout. I went there for a short time around 1959 and watched the lightweight boxer Billy Calvert work out on one occasion. I believe that Rex Graves was a boxer in his day?? Anyone?

Mickr thanks for info i went to school coleridge rd both the Calvert bros went there i left late forties and moved to Saxilby near Lincoln, The Calverts used to come out our area with there friends fishing and drink in my local the Sun Inn in Saxilby. Ronny Billys bros semi retired to a place out side Skegness. REX was a retired Boxer and he could hit believe me. Back to the school Coleridge Rd we used to have to walk past a Sulphur factory just down the rd from school and all the glass windows had it on you could hardly see through them, just a few more mems DTM