Anyone here from Attercliffe?

can anybody tell me what the green grocers shop was called on weedon street and the two chippy's one was on weeden street and the other was on askern street I think also does anybody know if any of the people who lived down our way are still living ie the kids like gary carr,pip piper,steven mather,kay goodwin.billy otter,steven holford,linda holford,valerie holford,kim goddard,lesley goodard, janet holford, and anybody else who I cant remember does anybody recall old man street who use to sit out side is shop in the summer and watch you very carefully when you went in also can anybody tell me what he was called who had the barbers shop across from the tinsley hotel the one that was next door to the baccy shop.

the greengrocer was called streets and chipshop was called the phoenix i was born at 81 weedon street in 1954 three doors up from old man street

anyone remember who owned the chippy at bottom ofstaniforth rd near the canal. it was open till about 1976 and there was a sweet or newsagents shop at the side of it.

Originally posted by brooksy

anyone remember who owned the chippy at bottom ofstaniforth rd near the canal. it was open till about 1976 and there was a sweet or newsagents shop at the side of it.

No, but I remember looking over that bridge at the canal and the water used to be bright orange.

yes i remember the canal being realypoluted but as kids in the early 70s we mucked about in it. i work in the spartan works now which back on to the canal and have caught loads of fish, what a vast improvement it made when they banned the steelworks dumping there waste.

Hiya brooksy

The chippy at the bottom of Staniforth Road was owned by Wilfred and Irene Ashworth, my wifes aunty and uncle

deecee

yes i remember the canal being realypoluted but as kids in the early 70s we mucked about in it. i work in the spartan works now which back on to the canal and have caught loads of fish, what a vast improvement it made when they banned the steelworks dumping there waste.

In the late 40's and early 50's my mum and her sisters used to play 'Jump the Cut', on their way home from school, leaping across the narrow-ish bit of the cut (canal) near their home.

Till one day......

My aunt fell in, still wearing her best bib-and-tucker; her school uniform!!!

My goodness, did she get her backside rattled!

She absolutely Stank. Like something putrid, my mother said.

"Ginger Nut,

Fell in the cut

And frightened all the fishes

One came up,

And swallowed her up,

And that was the end of Ginger Nut!!"

(yes, in case you hadn't guessed, my aunt was a redhead, and my mother used to sing that rhyme to tease her!)

PT

some of my old school chums came from attercliffe.

susan melia- brother called Alfie.

I think their relation had a shop there.

Margaret burnside,john stead,julie millington.

No on has mentined Hitchens!!! Catalogue clearence clothes that got me through my young years!!!

I was born on Thames Road, which I think is now called Harry Firth Road, our house was knocked down and we got moved to Pitsmoor in the mid 70's.

Remember Banners also!

Whats it like now?

I remember lots of people going to hitchens in 70s as they once had a batch of prince of wales check in for a fraction of the price.

and some of the other trousers that were in fashion then.

you had to be quick though or they'd be gone.

i remember a lad called john stead, he used to hang about on ripon street reck when jess had it in the 70s. if i remember right didnt john stead have a blonde stripe in is hair, looked quite strange but an hereditory thing.

i remember a lad called john stead, he used to hang about on ripon street reck when jess had it in the 70s. if i remember right didnt john stead have a blonde stripe in is hair, looked quite strange but an hereditory thing.

did he have a brother called andrew?