Anyone here from Attercliffe?

hi jules,

yes i know where you live lol...used to hang around around there as kids.down to the cemetery front gates if you went left used to be a scrap yard knuttalls and if you followed the path through some woods there was a big pond there ...we called it rainbow pond. reminds me irish blade is coming over from ireland in sept hoping to meet up with him for a few beers catch up on old times ...be nice to get a few of us in a local down attercliffe and have a chit chat maybe you could get one going!!!!! speak soon dave x

hya Dave,

Sorry but i think you have the wrong cemetery, that one with the woods is Tinsley Park Cemetery. I remember the pond. and there was another up the other side of the cemetery with tadpoles in. There used to be another pond in those woods called the pump pond which was just over the bridge.

We live at the top cemetery, Darall Cemetery, just off Coventery street, which is off Main road at Darnall. or adjacent to Industry road.

Not many pubs now down Attercliffe Dave, there are 2 on Carbrook side and 4 pubs between Leeds road and Staniforth road out of 51 pubs. I would like that Dave, thank you. Keith , my hubby is also an ex carbrook resident , if you could bring your wife then i will bring keith. talk soon Jules xx

I worked for Marcrofts,A roofing firm opposite The Carbrook Hall pub.The chap I mated was a bloke called Sid Shaw who lived on Bradfor.Also the man who owned Marcrofts opened a skating rink somewhere near Broughton Lane and also converted the old cinema further up Attercliffe into a rink.Some of the other lads who worked at Marcrofts were Ron Cashmore who lived up near banners and Billy Partoon who lived at carbrook,this would be just after the big gales we had in the 60,s

Hello maxwell.

I am sorry but i cant place Marcrofts, which side of the Carbrook Hall are you reffering to. behind the Carbrook Hall were houses where my hubby lived, and to the right also houses, to the left was the doctors on the corner, facing the Carbrook Hall was the Red Wreck, in between the houses and and the doctors was Ferns Garage, In front of Ferns Garage you had the Metro Vickers later to become AEI and then changed again to GEC. Also, the roller rink you refer to was opened as rollerlong, this was transformed from the methodist church or baptist church into the Rollerlong.

Which cinema was converted in a rink please, also Billy Partoon was at my hubby's school, Carbrook Church of England School.

look forward to hearing from you

jules.

Hi Bluebird62

No, I don't remember the 'white flashing light' as you entered Lant's fish and chip shop, will have to ask my Dad about that one. Sorry have not included your original quote but not sure how to do that!

Just wondering if anyone remembers my parents - my Dad is Ian Lant and went to Coleridge Road School and was best friends with John Abdy (they're still good friends), and my Mum was Margaret Jones (sadly not with us now) and she lived in Jubilee Road in Darnall and went to Phillimore School.

I lived on Newhall Road, (Attercliffe end) until 69ish. Two chip-shops then but don't recall anyone of that name, nor the newspaper man.

Which end did your husband live and roughly when?

He lived at no.43 but moved about 1968. Just down from Paget Street and the Brickmakers Arms.

Ah yes, I had forgotten there was houses down there as well....silly me.:loopy:

Ours was no 230.....other side of the Don:)

Hi Bluebird,the builders yard was to the right of the pub looking at it from Attercliffe Rd.The cinema that ended up as a skating rink was just past Newall Rd on the right going towards Sheffield.

Hi Bluebird,the builders yard was to the right of the pub looking at it from Attercliffe Rd.The cinema that ended up as a skating rink was just past Newall Rd on the right going towards Sheffield.

Would that be the Adelphi?

Hello Maxwell.

Iknow where you are now [i think] do you mean the one on Burgess road [i think that is what they call it] at the side of attercliffe church yard. The roller rink had mugs alley down stairs. Ended up becoming a garage.well thats gone now.

hya Dave,

Sorry but i think you have the wrong cemetery, that one with the woods is Tinsley Park Cemetery. I remember the pond. and there was another up the other side of the cemetery with tadpoles in. There used to be another pond in those woods called the pump pond which was just over the bridge.

We live at the top cemetery, Darall Cemetery, just off Coventery street, which is off Main road at Darnall. or adjacent to Industry road.

Not many pubs now down Attercliffe Dave, there are 2 on Carbrook side and 4 pubs between Leeds road and Staniforth road out of 51 pubs. I would like that Dave, thank you. Keith , my hubby is also an ex carbrook resident , if you could bring your wife then i will bring keith. talk soon Jules xx

hi jules i thought you was talking about the one at the end of barleywood rd of greenland rd. ps while on the subject remember the film with sean bean when sat comes ? was a scene took in that cemetery burying a friend !! well it shows my grandfathers grave in the film how weird is that when your a owls fan lol.

ps say hi to keith and hope to see you soon

regards dave

did dennis and glenn thompson have a sister called christine? who lived on the corner of chippingham street and shortridge st?

Hiya

Yes Dennis & Glenn did have a sister called Christine and their mum was called Mary. Glenn lives quite near to me. Did you live near them? They used to knock about with my husband Steve and his brother Kevin Clarke and another lad called Glyn Horan - know any of them?

We lived at 141 Penny is my sister.

Hi, Mandy. Can't believe it. I'm new to SheffieldForum and decided to have a scout through to see if I could find anything on Attercliffe and found you! I think I can remember you. I lived on Jessell street(the very last house before the bridge) I too remember some of the names you mentioned like David Twelvetrees (Twelly!) and your name too is very familiar though I can't put a face to you. I remember the smithies! Very srange, used to scare the life out of me!! I went to Woodbourn and later to Waltheof. Remember Mr. Simms, Mrs Anyon (Scarey!) Mrs. Monahan, Mr. Byrnes, Miss Barnes(my fave) Mrs Ring etc etc could go on forever!! Reply if you get the chance. Lisa