Anyone here from Attercliffe?

.....Yep! I spent a lot of time down the Cliffe. I was always in the Mugs Alley clinging on to the rail letting all the smart alecs pass me. Good Fun. Used to have pie and peas from the little pie shop (if we were lucky). I live Newcastle close to Lake Macquarie.

Regards Vera.

Hi Vera

I too spent time in Mugs Alley, we must have been there around the same time. When I went a young man with tatoos used to lead the line of skaters as I remember he was older and a bit like popeye.

hazel

Also spent time in mugs alley, I was good enough to skate upstairs but you had a better chance of chatting up girls in mugs alley.

That would have been Ripon Street Rec wouldn't it.......spent quite a bit of time there myself actually.:hihi:

Yep, did Ripon St rec, but mostly the one behind Carbrook School, I've forgotten the name now.

It was called Carbrook Recreation Ground on Terry Street. Got many a clip for being late home from school having gone via "The Rec". I seem to remember some sort of clinic for young children/babies in there. Can anyone else remember it? Also does anyone remember the "Tuck Shop" at the side of Carbrook School. The shopkeeper there never lost his temper when we couldn't decide what to buy for our pennies and ha'pennies. Talk about patience.

It was called Carbrook Recreation Ground on Terry Street. Got many a clip for being late home from school having gone via "The Rec". I seem to remember some sort of clinic for young children/babies in there. Can anyone else remember it? Also does anyone remember the "Tuck Shop" at the side of Carbrook School. The shopkeeper there never lost his temper when we couldn't decide what to buy for our pennies and ha'pennies. Talk about patience.

Wasn't it a nursery??? council run one I think.:)

Also spent time in mugs alley, I was good enough to skate upstairs but you had a better chance of chatting up girls in mugs alley.

Hi Alevans.... Just read your posting. Great to read all these stories isn't it.

Hmm!! wondered why all those young guys hung around the Alley..LOL

Vera

I remember it, It was a clinic I think, we used to go there with mum and we got given concentrated NHS orange juice, I really liked it.

The football games on the 'rec' used to last all day long at the weekends and in holidays, as did the cricket matches, we just played on until it was too dark to see the ball.

Yes, now I remember going to the clinic as a babe. The orange juice was lovely but the cod liver oil was far from pleasant. According to my mother - one was no good without the other (I think that was just to make me down the oil - vile that it was) though she still had to hold my nose whilst it went down. Still, playing in the Rec on our way home made the visit more than tolerable. I had forgotten about that-thanks for reminding me.

Jackie

I remember all those things, we must have been around at a similar time, I used to live on ravensworth road.

what number? do you remember the house with the green fence in the back yard, the number was in the odd numbers, possibly 25 or 39 ravensworth, (i can't remember the way the numbers ran) they had a dalmatian dog, in the late 60s early 70s?

PT

Does anyone remember anything of Melville Road? My gran lived there up to it being pulled down. There was a joiners workshop on the corner...the Twiggs lived in the yard...its all under the stadium now I believe. They were all moved up to the Manor, Wulfric Close...Outside loos, no heating apart from the fireplaces and the boom boom boom of the rolling mills. There was a church nearby when you turned right on Attercliffe Road and a toyshop...god they worked hard and we think it is tough now....

Does anyone remember anything of Melville Road? My gran lived there up to it being pulled down. There was a joiners workshop on the corner...the Twiggs lived in the yard...its all under the stadium now I believe. They were all moved up to the Manor, Wulfric Close...Outside loos, no heating apart from the fireplaces and the boom boom boom of the rolling mills. There was a church nearby when you turned right on Attercliffe Road and a toyshop...god they worked hard and we think it is tough now....

hi .. my sister hung around with sheila twigg. (sis gail is 46 now)

there was a chapel (methedist church )on clifton st

then st bartholomews church on attercliffe common (i lived over the wall

in newton terrace,) top of

carbrook st. toy shop was stoppards, hairdress/barbers upstairs on corner..

and opp on the other side was the beer off.

across the rd.samik motors, but before that it was gowers store.

lants chippy, then pork shop. sweet shop, wagstaffs paper shop..butchers boldocks., bookies. >peacocks <

can anyone remember that shop.:o dark and that much in it you couldn't

see anything.

cheryl

I well remember Peacocks shop, living just round the corner off Milford Street. It used to stock a lot of stale confectionary. Regarding Lants chip shop, Mrs Lant used to provide us with second hand comics from the newspaper donated for wrappings Both her and her sister who also worked there spent their last days in seperate nursing homes and I was able to arrange a meeting between the two of them after being seperated for several years.

is that when hanging stopped then..:o

i remember everyone going on about him who was hung up on broughton lane

on the gallows, they left him there months. till there was only bones..

when you think about it there's some right tales to tell from

way back when down attercliffe.

like carbrook hall haunted.

cheryl

Hello Beemerchez,

i know it has been a while since this post but i have found a drawing of a picture of the old gibbet post which hung spence broughton. on it , it has the old carbrook hotel and the pheasant inn along with another forgotten pub, " the old harrow inn. it state that it the attercliffe common near greenland engine road now broughton lane at the close of the 18th century.