Anyone here from Attercliffe?

No owdlad cant say has ive heard of him. Iwas at woodbourn rd school when Carl Shutt was there and even then teachers saw what a good footballer he was.When we all moved up to waltheof there were four or five ladsall on the books at swfc.Three of them mel, charlie and carl all made it in to the first team.:thumbsup:

Just to note, i also had a mate who went to both woodbourn rd and waltheof who was the best footballer ive ever seen.His name was Steven Mchale and he lived across rd from me on Chelmsford st attercliffe.His uncle Ray played for sufc and swindon, but steve was without doubt more talented than any of the waltheof lads by far.The problem with mac was he liked the inside of pubs and even after been offered a contract at both sheffield clubs still let it slip him bye.See him down attercliffe sometimes in our old watering holes and i still go on about him wasting his chance 30 odd years ago.:thumbsup:

I was born top end of Bright Street 126 and well remember the area. Over the back wall which led onto Hide Street, (affectionately known as The Brick) a man called Bowler used to keep pigs and chickens which frequently escaped terrifying us kids. The Filesmiths was at the bottom of this road on Milford Street and close bye was the Wentworth which is still standing. I went to Carbrook County School and then on to Coleridge Road School, where 'Pop Naylor ' was still teaching up to 1962 when I left. Lants was definately the best chippy of the two, But can you remember when Jacksons went upmarket and introduced roasting chickens?.:thumbsup:

my dad used to go to coleridge rd mr Nailor used to teach my dad, in fact i think my mum has a picture of him with my dad's football class,

he was a lovely man.

there was a house down clifton street by the side of the chapel, who used to keep pigs, i used to take peelings to him and he gave us a balloon..lol

this house is still there, i think its some type of office now,all revevated of course,K.F.C, is oppersite it, cor if that was there when i was a kid..

there was also a small shop further down on the left between a row of houses, sold single cigs to kids..lol i know as i used to buy them...

CLIFFEKID

do you remember mirians cafe then.? it had a pinball machine near the door..my friends mum had it, my friend was janet hussain..

i went to carbrook school from 1960 infants then next door juniors then on to hadfield house lane left there july 69 i was 15. very lucky as my birthday is in june or i would have had to carry on..lol

my sister gail followed me through carbrook she is 6 yrs younger than me,

but she ended up going to norfolk on arbourthorne, as thats where we moved to,we was the last to move out of our neighbours in newton terrace,

jacksons chippy moved to a street off west st, after old jessops hospital.i went one friday from the place i used to work at sent me for dinners, when i left school,

and got the shock of my life when i went in it was jacksons..think i was 16 then and there chips and fish was just as good...

my dad cyril chaplin, used to drink in the bird in hand, on broughton lane,

its still there, but some kind of little firm i think..

he worked at british steel my dad would be 73 now.

he died age 56,

i live on parson cross now,

cheryl

Thanks for replying Cheryl, I remember the name Mirrians cafe but not it's exact location. Regarding Carbrook County School, I'm afew years older than you (Left school in 62) but remember that the Head Teachers respectively were Miss Carr, Infants And Miss Middleton Juniors. The absolute 'Terror' during my time in the juniors was a certain Miss Renshaw. Any of them still there during your time?.

Thanks for replying Cheryl, I remember the name Mirrians cafe but not it's exact location. Regarding Carbrook County School, I'm afew years older than you (Left school in 62) but remember that the Head Teachers respectively were Miss Carr, Infants And Miss Middleton Juniors. The absolute 'Terror' during my time in the juniors was a certain Miss Renshaw. Any of them still there during your time?.

I also remember them all :)

anybody on here come of attercliffe i was born on attercliffe and lived just of staiforth rd on chelmsford st i attended woodbourn rd school

Came from Grimesthorpe but my parents came from Attercliffe. My father's family lived on Alfred Rd and I can still remember visiting my grandparents there. There name was Turner. My father's name was Wilfred but he died in 1958. I had cousins that lived on Alfred Rd too but can't remember their surname.

Does anyone remember the Attercliffe roller skating rink. Saturday afternoon was full of kids learning to skate, but evenings there was dancing on skates and some people were pretty professional at it. I thought I was too at 14 till a broken arm and a few days in City General proved otherwise

Definitely remember the roller rink. Loved it. Went there heaps. Remember mugs alley?

[Hey Old timer. Very interesting letter there from you. I remember all of that. The skating rink with with that that long strip you talked of i spent many hours in there on my bum It was known as The Mugs ally) remember] I left the Uk in 1963 for Aussie

Regards vera

Hi Vera,

Seems that we are the ones that remember the training area as 'Mugs Alley'. Loved it when I was a kid. Used to make the trip from Grimesthorpe often. My dad would take me down and then come and pick me up.

Where are you in the land of Aus and how long have you been here. I am at Albion Park south of Wollongong. Been here since 1970 and much as I love hearing about the 'Old Dart' wouldn't go back to live for quids.

Dors.

Would she be the Janet Moulds that had a screaming match at a certain 'Miss Renshaw' at Carbrook School? if so I was in her class:wave:

does anybody remember the rag and bone man from attercliffe anybody tell me his name