Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Juliediane, I lived on Abinger St across fvrom clipstone rd till 69 ish and went to Phillimore RD school

i remember Abinger street very well, it was an unadopted street, the only street with no tarmacking on wasn't it. the garages were at the very top on the field, we used to take the short cut to get to fitzmaurace road from Abinger street. you would not recognise it now irish blade as it is a park, not really a park, as we know it but it is classified as a park when all said and done. my parents live half way down clipstone.

i have just been onto an old friend of your mark, you know tony ward.

do you have a brother named paul please. and did you go to park house school.

some years ago, i remember there being a teepee bonfire built by the children of abinger street, and as the other children was nicking the wood from it a little boy slept in the middle of the wood and the following morning or night some children children set a light to it , killing the little boy.

this i have never forgotten. do you remember it mark.

by the way i am julie skelton, my maiden name was julie johnson you may have known my father bob or robert johnson, he used to live on greenland road. please get back to me mark.

juliediane

Used to go to the city hall dancing saturday nights quite regular.forget the name of the band(love a reminder)at the interval we would nip out to the pub for a drambui it didn' smell as bad as beer on your breath. We used to call the dance the city hall shuffle or creep because you couldn't move more than a few inches at a time it was that crowded

Bernard Taylor was the band when i used to go during the war and Colin Ball as MC , Arthur.

Hi all of you,I lived on Don road for a while number 215,My aunties name was Butler,The next door doors was called Smiths,both sides.We used to go to the skating rink every week.Both my friend and i used to work at meadow lea the grocers shop just round from the skating rink.The best times,used to go to the pictures there but cant remember the name of the theatre.:huh:

Hi Glen If you want any one to remember your aunts name it was Buckler, Arti

yo,i was born on woodbourne road &went to school there till 1963,then moved 2 rotherham. i tell my kids about being woken up every mornin by the sound of the miners changing shift marching up an down the street

Hi Willo and all Attercliffe kids, I was born at 29 Broad Oaks but left there at age 2. Does my memory serve me right? Did Broad Oaks run from Staniforth road and join Woodbourne Road not far from the School? and was there a bridge near that junction at the end of Woodbourne road that went over the railway and over it was a path that led to the bottom of Dolphin Street. Was the bridge called kettle bridge? or was that another bridge nearby? Would the Miners you mentioned be going to and from the Nunnery pit? Was there a headmaster at the school called Mr Bradley at one time. I met Brad in France a in the early eighties and he told me over a few glasses of wine about the Nunnery Colliery Disaster that occured in December 1923 where my grandad and uncle Tommy were killed in a Paddy train disaster along with five other men. A few years after meeting Brad I met another man, whilst working at the channell Tunnel, called Jake Raynes who had lived on Dolphin Street and he told me he had attended Woodbourne Road School. Sorry about all the questions but it seems so long since I visited grandparents there

the memory is a little misty. Confirmation would be appreciated.

i remember Abinger street very well, it was an unadopted street, the only street with no tarmacking on wasn't it. the garages were at the very top on the field, we used to take the short cut to get to fitzmaurace road from Abinger street. you would not recognise it now irish blade as it is a park, not really a park, as we know it but it is classified as a park when all said and done. my parents live half way down clipstone.

i have just been onto an old friend of your mark, you know tony ward.

do you have a brother named paul please. and did you go to park house school.

some years ago, i remember there being a teepee bonfire built by the children of abinger street, and as the other children was nicking the wood from it a little boy slept in the middle of the wood and the following morning or night some children children set a light to it , killing the little boy.

this i have never forgotten. do you remember it mark.

by the way i am julie skelton, my maiden name was julie johnson you may have known my father bob or robert johnson, he used to live on greenland road. please get back to me mark.

juliediane

Juliediane,Yes, Tony is a good friend,I did go to Park house school but don't have a brother called Paul mine is called Kevin.The only fires I remember were on the post office field and can't recall the incident with the boy,maybe Tony can Do you remember a lad called David Egan who lived on Clipstone I have some old black and whites of ourselves sat on that cobbled Abinger st .HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

hello irish blade. it is another hague who i know. paul is about 2 years younger than me, he was friends with my cousin mick wells. sorry i mixed you up. thinking about it, we did not move back to Darnall till 1972? asa we moved to out to the white city for 3 years from ribston road. i remember the fires on the post office field, and the post office, they sold everything you could ever want, and there was pat's the beeroff, her shop was a god send at the top of palmer road, well both those shops are gone now and what was a big pub called the fiery fred had been built and left. even the coleridge road what was once there has gone, it is now just a cycle track.the field which was at the back of palmer road is now a houseing estate known as the greenland estate and coleridge field has become a housing estate known as stovin estate. thats where tony's brother [steve] lives.i am in daily contact with tony, thro the forum, but i am glad that an old Darnallite has turned up.

speak again soon as tony should be on shortly.

bye for now julie xxx

my grandma lived on ribston road at darnall

in one of those bungalow at the top..

cheryl

Juliediane,Yes, Tony is a good friend,I did go to Park house school but don't have a brother called Paul mine is called Kevin.The only fires I remember were on the post office field and can't recall the incident with the boy,maybe Tony can Do you remember a lad called David Egan who lived on Clipstone I have some old black and whites of ourselves sat on that cobbled Abinger st .HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Yes, Mark, i remember David Egan, did he have a sister named Susan [i think]

she had blonde short hair.

Irish Blade - my Aunt lives in Hatherley Road.Mention of the Pike and Heron reminds me that a couple of years ago I called at the Chemists on the same row and for sale was a book "Remember Sheffield in the 50s, 60s and 70s" by David Richardson. It was also the name of the pharmacist - but I didnt have the bottle to ask him!

my grandma lived on ribston road at darnall

in one of those bungalow at the top..

cheryl[/quote

all i can remember of Ribston road is my father taking me and my younger sister up kettlebridge. i do not remember much about it as i was very small.

ohh i do remember is my sister playing with a neighbour on the back and they were dishing what looked like sweets to each other but were in fact tablets. the little girl from next door got them from her home. but this was back in the very 60's and i dont remember seeing any bungalows aroung then , i am sorry. the house were we lived has now gone but the lamp post still remains and some bungalows have been built where our house was situated. is the part between the mosque and the the lower houses on Ribstone road. between the 2 roads. i think one road is called nidd road and the other ribstone gardens but not too sure.

i think the bunalows was new when my grandma moved in in the 80s.

she died in 92.. there still there now. i think there's only about 16 in all..

my grandma was in no 8. my mum's friend lived up there called catherine harrison. my mums 72 now..

cheryl

i think the bunalows was new when my grandma moved in in the 80s.

she died in 92.. there still there now. i think there's only about 16 in all..

my grandma was in no 8. my mum's friend lived up there called catherine harrison. my mums 72 now..

cheryl

they are a bit older than that:- mid seventies, IIRC, built after the mass clearances that shredded the heart out of our city's communities.

PT