Anyone here from Attercliffe?

hi only me, i knew a family called fletchers but they were of chelmsford st which was just of staniforth rd. al the houses in that area were knocked down in 1976.:thumbsup:

Hi Brooksy, no they were definetly off Kings lake st. My grandad was killed in an accident at work in 1969.

my grandma and grandad were the landlords of The Queens Head in Attercliffe in the 60's and 70's, does anyone remember them?????there surname is duggan, they live in Ireland now, growing old gracefully.:confused::thumbsup:

Any relation to Duggan's lived near Bramhall lane 70's ?.

no relation, come on someone must remember them????

Originally posted by Texas

Now here's a funny thing (to misquote Max Miller) I've read right through the Attercliffe posts and nobody has mentioned the famous dancehall above Banners, at the bottom of Staniforth Road. Rough old joint if I remember right. I went there once, not on my own I might add, because they allowed jiving. I'm talking 1949'50 here so probably anyone under 68 or so wont know what the hell I'm on about.

i cant remember it but my dad,mick tyrrell used to call in ,he used the grey horse pub and also the washford, i think there was a snooker hall above burtons at the time,a very long time ago now though

Originally posted by bonbon

no relation, come on someone must remember them????

I remember your grandfather bonbon, - but I didn't know him very well as I called in the QH only occasionally to meet up with someone and then we moved on.

I do remember them going back to Ireland and everyone saying how the 'Cliffe wouldnt be the same without them :)

do you know anyone that mite have some funny stories to tell about him? everytime someone replies i tell him and he is chuffed that people remember him! grans abit annoyed though cos no one remembers her!!!

I am tracing my family history and I have found that my 3 x great grandfather lived behind the Queens Head at the time of the 1861 census in something called Garnetts Yard?

Do you know if your grandparents know any history of the pub or the surrounding area. My family were called Jeffcock Walker.

Thanks

I am really enjoying reading all the posts about Attercliffe as I am researching family history and its giving me a picture of what life was like.

My partners family (Stoakes) were from Staniforth Road, married into the Beasley family also from Attercliffe.

I also have Gleadall and Jeffcock connections in Attercliffe.

My 2 x gt grandmother was a Jeffcock who married into the Webster family of Ardmore Street (where is that).

I also have connections to the Jenkinsons who ran a pub in Attercliffe back in the 1800's so I have a long association with the area.

Looking back over this thread ; notice a few references to pupils leaving Whitby Rd school to go to Waltheof school, someone tell me the connection please and where is Waltheof.

l went to Whitby Rd between 1940 and leaving school at 15 yrs in 1950, however l was back in Sheffield four years ago and took photo's of the old school so l know it's still there.

Just curious!

Hi Kiwi, it looks like you and I were pretty close to being contempories. I'm a tad older than you by three years, and was born on Stamford Street in Brightside.

You must have been there during the blitzes of December 12th and 15th, 1940 but may have been a tad too young to remember. We had moved to Tinsley the year before, but lost our home.

Anyway, my last visit to Sheffield was in 1989 and my cousin Ernie took me down the common to show me the destruction of old familiar places. I guess by the time you got there four years ago it must have totally changed. I like your adopted country, by the way, I sometimes wish I'd gone there, but I'm happy in mine.