Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Hi baza.123

Just seen your post re someone on pelham street who had difficulty walking.I went to a special school at arbourthorne with a lad called johnny allsop around 1949.could it be the same person? Prior to that about 1944, my parents, kate and allen green had a chipshop on the corner of I think windmill st and don road and my grandparents lived on don road

Hi Rose

Nope, the "Marian Richardson Script " means nothing to me so that must have been after I left in 1959. Also wanted to let you know that I've managed to post the school photo but it's in the " History and Expats " section under " Woodburn School ". Take a look and let me know if you're on it. Are you the girl with ringlets stood in the third row back by any chance ? Let me know if there are any names you remember that we haven't already mentioned.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue

It was actually Eileen Cooper (not Diane), my mistake. However I remember Diane Stewart, we met up at a party about five years ago which was held by Janet Palmer's parents for their wedding anniversary, Diane and Janet were childhood friends.

I remember Andrea Cook and I am sorry to hear that she has passed away, even after not seeing people for all those years it is still upsetting to hear news like this.

Do you remember learning 'Marion Richardson Script' in school, I remember all the class being provided with a Marion Richardson pen which had a square type nib which was dipped in ink. Its strange how some memories seem to stick out in your mind.

Regards

Rose

I've just had a look at the picture you've put on Woodbourn Road section. The boy on the front row on the right is John Whiteley, also on the pic I recognise Ian Willetts, John Newall, Dave Parkin and Margaret Briggs. I will tell our John to have a look at this, hopefully he will remember more people.

Hi Rose

Nope, the "Marian Richardson Script " means nothing to me so that must have been after I left in 1959. Also wanted to let you know that I've managed to post the school photo but it's in the " History and Expats " section under " Woodburn School ". Take a look and let me know if you're on it. Are you the girl with ringlets stood in the third row back by any chance ? Let me know if there are any names you remember that we haven't already mentioned.

Regards

Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks for the photo although I am not on it. I too recognize some of the faces, Ian Willets (he used to bully me using a big Alsatian dog called

Rebel), John Whitely, Margaret Briggs (she hasn't changed) and I think Eileen Cooper is on the far right of the back row? Looking at this photo brought a tear to my eye remembering the room and the so young classmates.

Take Care

Rose

Edited by RoseHadi
Something written in error

Hi Rose

Regards

Sue

Sorry Sue

Eileen is on the far left of the top row not the far right - senior moment!!

HI just joined the forum first Thread as you call them so i dont know the ins and outs i

was born in Ravensworth rd of Broughton lane in1935 the family name was MYERS i am

Derek thomas the eldest lad i went Carbrook school and Coleridge rd, we moved to Lincolnshire in the 50s. It has been marvelous to read all the differant yarns i hope to

contribute some of my own in the near future, untill then thanks for the memories DTM

any relation to curley myers ? think he was called derek.

You've just reminded me, my auntie used to live at the end of Broughton Lane actually on Attercliffe Common, her name was Joan Allen and her husband was called Frank. They had 1 daughter Kay. I think they used to go in the Pheasant. Their house was a back to back, 3 rooms all on top of each other, I don't know how they lived but they were happy.

Hi Rose

Regards

Sue

By way of explanation:-

If you can write in an ordinary, rounded style, (what I would describe as "modern", rather than spiky and italic) then you are writing in "Marian Richardson".

You are approx a year younger or so than my late mother (If you were leaving school at 15 in '59) and the "M-R" script is the hand my mother was taught to write in, as was pretty much everyone who went to school post 1940s (myself included). My father writes in the older style, despite being just four years older than my mother was.